• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Self takes.

i use a rhino too great inexpensive bit of kit... rich i’ll bring it on the 16th take it home and have a play with it ... i find it best positioned to the side this pic was straight on and is a bit shadowyView attachment 14665
I’ve seen it mate. You took this one for me with your kit
07AB9E46-033B-451F-9F80-820B0BCAC404.jpeg

If someone is prepared to take the shot then phones are good but for self takes I find them a pain. Your setting them up after you’ve caught and the flash is very bright/direct and I’ve not had a lot of success. Now if I’m on my own which most fish have been they either get a mat shot or none at all. This coming season I’m hoping that will change and I’ll get some with my mug in.

Straight on illumination always casts shadows - whether its a flash or video light. If you can be arsed to set up 2x at 45 degrees it makes a hell of a difference - Also prefer using an intervalometer on the camera or phone app . . snaps every 2 seconds and takes less memory than video - also negates having to whistle / shout capture or shoot etc . . .

Straight on illumination always casts shadows - whether its a flash or video light. If you can be arsed to set up 2x at 45 degrees it makes a hell of a difference - Also prefer using an intervalometer on the camera or phone app . . snaps every 2 seconds and takes less memory than video - also negates having to whistle / shout capture or shoot etc . . .
That last one was straight on with the light at top lummens I was quite happy with the result. Not too shadowing really. I try and travel light and as your aware keep things simple so carrying and positioning lights in different places of a potentially temporary swim are not an option. I’m not striving for David Attenborough quality just a functional photo where needed. I thought about moving the light but then that means another bank stick that I don’t want to carry so ideally I want to keep it together in one little bracket.

For anything other than the waterproof aspect (for me, it can stay under the brolley) I use a Panasonic G6 camera, which connects to my phone. Thus I can see the image before I take it, and operate the shutter (even with a time delay) from the phone app. The camera has a great flash too.

Like the set up, though, Rich. Keeping things innovative! 😁

For anything other than the waterproof aspect (for me, it can stay under the brolley) I use a Panasonic G6 camera, which connects to my phone. Thus I can see the image before I take it, and operate the shutter (even with a time delay) from the phone app. The camera has a great flash too.

Like the set up, though, Rich. Keeping things innovative! 😁
And that makes all the difference being able to see the pic right in front of you and get it right first time round. Some of my self takes in the past when I’ve tried have been awful

And that makes all the difference being able to see the pic right in front of you and get it right first time round. Some of my self takes in the past when I’ve tried have been awful
Banksticks are your friend . . .I have a mark on a bankstick to position either camera or phone the exact distance from the centre / front edge of my unhooking mat and another that dictates the height of the camera / phone. Although my camera has a flip screen I know that the locations always frame the shot perfectly . . .

The light is actually one of two engineers lights I have. They are magnetic for sticking inside electrical cabinets
Aluminum and fully sealed they are light and water tight. The beam is generated from several tiny leds and it casts a very wide short distance beam. Not like a head torch. It has 3 light settings from 50 to 200 lummens
I don’t know how it’s going to perform . It’s got to remain really compact because I’m a travelling guy mostly
I took some day time pics and they came out lovely minus the mug in the centre.
View attachment 14648
this took seconds to do once the camera was in the ground because I can see the photo on the screen laid there infront of me so I knew it was positioned spot on. The remote is discreetly in my hand which I’ll have no trouble with while holding a fish. Only the light source to look at now. If that works then I’ve cracked the self take without spending any money

That fence needs painting.

i also use a rhino beam and they are great along with an i-fish adapter for my phone both come with bank stick adapters and use them on a double buzz bar

Ulanzi do an led camera light which is smaller and lighter than the rhino ones. The latest version has a built in diffuser, the older version doesn’t but is cheaper at about £10. Two at 45 degrees works very well in conjunction with iPhone. You can use ProCam app to manually adjust shutter speed etc if you want. Anyone know an iPhone app with intervalometer ? I’m using voice command, volume up, to activate my phone camera at the moment but it’s not that discrete shouting at the camera in the middle of the night.

Anyone upgrading their iPhone imminently should loook at the iPhone 12 Pro. It has a dedicated front flash, improved night portrait software and higher quality camera. I’m upgrading in July.

Improved water ingress protection as well - down to 6m I believe and bigger screen than 7 plus in a slightly smaller body.

Richard, not 100% sold on your camera set up but your sartorial taste is top drawer 🤪

Attachments

• EC94AA6C-A6AA-4B74-B4A2-1B6CFA888F2D.jpeg
    EC94AA6C-A6AA-4B74-B4A2-1B6CFA888F2D.jpeg
    124.7 KB · Views: 143
Back