• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Self takes.

Richard Isaacs

Senior Member & Supporter
I struggle with self takes because the equipment used to do it doesn’t really forfil everything I need so I’ve been out resolving problems today and made something work.

I’ve been Down the phone route and even the bulky camera and tripod route but I wanted to have something that ticks all boxes.
-really small and light.
-water proof so it can be set up and left in a state where it can be used straight away. Even in the rain.
-1 good photo. I need to see what I’m taking as I’m taking it I don’t want to be back and forth to the camera.
-adjustable light or flash. That is wide not concentrated. My phone flash tends to spoil some pictures.
-quick. I want a good pic done and fish back very quickly.
-photo or very quick video done via cordless remote that fits in my hand.
- No tripods. Just a bank stick.

introducing the richy self take system
D5CF8FF7-F774-47EB-BBC7-E33991EE1AA4.jpeg
0B625D1D-130B-4E7F-A223-DC7C052FF780.jpeg
261D2044-186D-4FF4-8273-D4331AF52447.jpeg
9DD5485D-DF5F-4615-B3B1-31004B29CB23.jpeg

cobbled together it may be but this is potentially what I’m looking for. The whole lot is fully water proof.
it’s a tiny little 4K action cam I use it for my underwater filming.
it connects to my phone in seconds so I can see when I’m posing for the camera exactly what the picture is going to show. It has a remote which fits in between a finger and thumb with a button for both camera and filming.
the light is a water proof wide beam with adjustable lummens. The whole lot weighs next to nothing. I’m going to take some pictures tonight in total darkness by myself and see if it does what I want it to with no faffing.

Looks good! KNEW you were secretly a techno-snob . . .(banter - joking)

Not being familiar with the light source your using (can you divulge?), the only thing I would recommend (and to be fair I don't have much go-pro experience) is for night shots specifically the use of 2x additional light sources set at 45 degrees to subject to alleviate shadowing. I use the small video lights that are not much bigger than a fag packet - set on additional banksticks they make a huge difference to scene illumination, negate the initial need for a headtorch and are lightweight and small enough to stow without taking up valuable rucksack storage . . .stick a small food type plastic bag over the top and they're water proof . . only downside is with all that lighting its not very 'stealth' . . .personally not bothered about this!

Will be interesting to see your results when reporting back with your current kit.

The light is actually one of two engineers lights I have. They are magnetic for sticking inside electrical cabinets
Aluminum and fully sealed they are light and water tight. The beam is generated from several tiny leds and it casts a very wide short distance beam. Not like a head torch. It has 3 light settings from 50 to 200 lummens
I don’t know how it’s going to perform . It’s got to remain really compact because I’m a travelling guy mostly
I took some day time pics and they came out lovely minus the mug in the centre.
69E9D753-4AE2-4D73-9D47-2745BD21CAE4.jpeg

this took seconds to do once the camera was in the ground because I can see the photo on the screen laid there infront of me so I knew it was positioned spot on. The remote is discreetly in my hand which I’ll have no trouble with while holding a fish. Only the light source to look at now. If that works then I’ve cracked the self take without spending any money

7pm.
not quite total darkness but almost.
im not after pixel perfect photos but I can certainly live with this so far
Another half hour and my back garden will be in total darkness just like the river bank. I’ll do another then.
4B9A8A88-B00C-4CB7-A192-D7F9CF338F08.jpeg

The picture quality isn’t that great when I look closely but I suppose it’s better than previous attempts at self takes I’ve done with better quality equipment

I have a similar setup Rich, but I use my Iphone 7 , a good tip I picked up was not to shoot individual frames but to put the camera onto video, take several positional shots and later pick the best of the bunch . It helps being able to see exactly what you are doing on the screen .I use a small rechargeable mechanics inspection lamp , basically the same set up as yours , I made a multi angle holder for my iphone , the adapter came from the ‘ bay for a fiver so happy enough , and it seems to work fine , used it several times with no problems. Plus as yours , its fine in the rain so long as it is not immersed ( I hope ! I have trashed one phone , and one small camera - death by drowning in both cases 😕 )

I have not had chance to try it out at night yet,so I am hoping all will be well.
The light source has its own variable angle independent of the camera .

FA3D8902-AAB0-41D7-AC85-D5C818D2DB0C.jpeg

F4172E38-1C47-446B-B5FD-A6794307ADD5.jpeg

I was hoping to be able to use my box Brownie camera but it just takes up far too much room, plus developing on the bank takes quite a lot of faffing about .

😋😋😋

David

Last edited:
Not sure where I saw it, but I think some phones cameras can be operated via a voice command.

Try the whistle camera app.
Someone told me about it on the river bank. I'll be using it along with a phone holder and bank stick adaptor in the new season.
I had it downloaded Ian, but for some reason it never worked sufficiently well, I had another couple of similar apps, tried them but they all did not function as expected, it could have been because I have an Otterbox phone cover which does seem to be a bit restrictive when speaking to callers, muffling my voice occasionally.

Plus I cannot whistle, the photos would have come out with me looking like a bulldog chewing a wasp.

David.

I had it downloaded Ian, but for some reason it never worked sufficiently well, I had another couple of similar apps, tried them but they all did not function as expected, it could have been because I have an Otterbox phone cover which does seem to be a bit restrictive when speaking to callers, muffling my voice occasionally.

Plus I cannot whistle, the photos would have come out with me looking like a bulldog chewing a wasp.

David.
It works fine on my Samsung Galaxy S8. It also gives you a few seconds after the whistle to compose a cheesy grin!

Great ideas but Non of these suggestions allow you to see the picture before it’s taken. I don’t want to use my phone to take the photo I want to keep my phone in my pocket and have the camera equipment set up ready before i even hook one.

Final picture.
ive played with the camera settings now and sharpened up that image.
this is I n total darkness just the photo taken no messing about took literally seconds to get down in front of camera check on phone that I’m in the frame and hit the button. Never thought it would be so easy.
I’m very pleased with what I’ve got. Lighting works beautifully
Strange how that 17lb barbel has vanished. I’ll have to look into that cos I did catch one. Honest 🤣
615F5B91-1668-43B8-A15C-E3798F301678.jpeg

Try the whistle camera app.
Someone told me about it on the river bank. I'll be using it along with a phone holder and bank stick adaptor in the new season.
Used the Whistle app for only the second time recently. I was staggered that I didn’t have every dog in the Darent Valley coming to my swim. Perhaps I should download the app again? 😳

Great ideas but Non of these suggestions allow you to see the picture before it’s taken. I don’t want to use my phone to take the photo I want to keep my phone in my pocket and have the camera equipment set up ready before i even hook one.
You can see the picture if you put the phone screen side round and flip the direction of picture take.
Sorry for my lack of technical language!! 😀

You can see the picture if you put the phone screen side round and flip the direction of picture take.
Sorry for my lack of technical language!! 😀
Yeah from a distance I suppose you could. Your still setting it up after you’ve caught the fish and heavy rain is a problem with some phones. I wanted to do away with all that. I’ve done the phone thing and it’s ok but the action cam seems much better in the respect it’s just set up and ready all weathers. It’s also not running out of charge like my phone often does.

7pm.
not quite total darkness but almost.
im not after pixel perfect photos but I can certainly live with this so far
Another half hour and my back garden will be in total darkness just like the river bank. I’ll do another then.
View attachment 14652
Looks like as good set up Richard. I've one of those cameras. The wife brought me it a few years ago. Only used used it the once, whilst white water rafting in the Alps. So it's definately robust enough for fishing. My night self takes with a Canon G10 have generally been a disappointment. Your set up looks a goer.

i use a rhino too great inexpensive bit of kit... rich i’ll bring it on the 16th take it home and have a play with it ... i find it best positioned to the side this pic was straight on and is a bit shadowy
502248F0-92D3-49C3-8137-0BA055A541D4.jpeg

Back