• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Self take camera

After a lot of thought and reading of reviews I think I might go for the Canon G6. Can pick one up for under £80 and the swivel screen and infra red remote is a big factor.

Alot of my fishing will be done in the evenings into night, does anyone have any pro's or con's about using the G6 in the dark (especially picture quality)

Thanks

Gareth

Hi Gareth, a word of warning regarding the G6. It is a nice camera but if you should have a problem, the spares are hard to find and the costs of getting it repaid are more than the value of the camera. The flip screen is a great feature but where the G11 and G12 score as fishing cameras is in also having a fantastic multiple shot facility that gives you say 10 seconds to pick up the fish and pose with it before the shutter starts clicking away. This really takes all the strain out of doing self-takes and, in my opinion, makes it well worth saving up the difference for.

Hi Gareth, a word of warning regarding the G6. It is a nice camera but if you should have a problem, the spares are hard to find and the costs of getting it repaid are more than the value of the camera. The flip screen is a great feature but where the G11 and G12 score as fishing cameras is in also having a fantastic multiple shot facility that gives you say 10 seconds to pick up the fish and pose with it before the shutter starts clicking away. This really takes all the strain out of doing self-takes and, in my opinion, makes it well worth saving up the difference for.

This is good advice, and as I mentioned earlier the G11 and G12 are far more advanced in so many ways, not just the self take facility but in auto focus, exposure, speed and funcionality, those things can really count on a cold November gloomy night! If picture quality is as important as you mention then the 11 and 12 are light years ahead. Both of these can get to 800 ISO with barely a mention of any picture noise, and if you shoot them raw then the pics in Lightroom 3 or whatever software you have give a very wide scope for any correction.

The prices have dropped a fair bit as well as people are offloading to get their mitts on the G1X, there is some real bargains out there. I would be wary of paying good money for a much older camera when for not a lot more you get a whole lot more.

Last edited:
Another to throw into the mix is a second hand Panasonic Lumix G1, really excellent cameras they are, bigger sensor than the G series Canons and a massive flip screen, you need a wired remote but thats no deal breaker.
Similarly the Olympus e600 or 620.

This is good advice, and as I mentioned earlier the G11 and G12 are far more advanced in so many ways, not just the self take facility but in auto focus, exposure, speed and funcionality, those things can really count on a cold November gloomy night! If picture quality is as important as you mention then the 11 and 12 are light years ahead. Both of these can get to 800 ISO with barely a mention of any picture noise, and if you shoot them raw then the pics in Lightroom 3 or whatever software you have give a very wide scope for any correction.

The prices have dropped a fair bit as well as people are offloading to get their mitts on the G1X, there is some real bargains out there. I would be wary of paying good money for a much older camera when for not a lot more you get a whole lot more.

Another thing about the G6 you will find is that you can't see what's on the LCD screen in bright weather conditions.

I used a Canon G6 before moving on to the Panasonic G1.I have to agree with Simon The Panasonic is a step up.Don't be put off by the wired remote. I've adapted mine(ebay £5)into a footswitch.So I can pre focus and shoot as if I were holding the camera.Miles better than messing around with a wireless remote or self timer.

I have the 20mm panasonic lens on mine but the kit lens is ok.Having said all that the Canon G1X is very tempting at the moment but then again so is the 25mm Leica lens for the Panasonic:cool:

Thanks again chaps, as a complete novice with cameras all advice is very much appreciated.

Didn't consider the cost/availability of spares etc so a G11 is suddenly more appealing. Just had a quick scout on that well known auction site and 2nd hand G11's are certainly in my price range.

As someone with little knowledge/expertise - how easy are they to programme/operate? With my current camera I simply set the timer button (10 secs/2secs) and press the button :D

Thanks again chaps, as a complete novice with cameras all advice is very much appreciated.

Didn't consider the cost/availability of spares etc so a G11 is suddenly more appealing. Just had a quick scout on that well known auction site and 2nd hand G11's are certainly in my price range.

As someone with little knowledge/expertise - how easy are they to programme/operate? With my current camera I simply set the timer button (10 secs/2secs) and press the button :D

I've not used a G11 but I'm told that the G12 is very similar. Anyway using the timer on the G12 is a doddle and the LCD screen is big and bright, unlike the G6 which is small and dim. You get a disc with all the details of the camera as part of the package and another disc with which to upload the image browser, etc. If you do buy the camera make sure that these are included in the package.

I have a G12 and setting the self timer is very easy. It is the bottom of the back control dial. You then choose delay time for the shots to begin so from zero to 30 second delay and then you choose the amount of shots you want from 1 to 10.

So for example set for a 20 second delay and 10 shots, the ten shots fire off after 20 seconds with a 2 second delay between shots. Pretty sure after ten shots one of them will be a keeper!!

All you have to do now is catch something worth photographing!!

Thanks for all the help and advice chaps, it's very much appreciated.

After a lot of thought and research I went for a Canon G11 in the end. Picked one up 2nd hand for £200. Plenty of time in the closed season to have a play about etc.

Let's hope I made the right decision.

Thanks again,

Gareth

Back