• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Self take camera

Gareth Boycott

I'm looking at getting a new camera for self takes when fishing. At the moment I use a fairly basic 8mp digital camera with a timer. The photo's are 'OK' but I'd like something better.

I have a budget of around £200 so should be able to get something fairly decent (I hope). What's the best out there in this price range? Ideally I would like it to have a flip-around screen to ensure the shot is centred etc

Thanks in advance

Gareth

Pentax Optio

I have an old Pentax Optio 33L which has a self timer button and flip screen. It's been discontinued I think, but there may be a later version with the same features and it should be in the price bracket. Mine's a nice little camera, although it needs rechargeable batteries and a charger to make it OK cost wise. Normal batteries don't last 5 minutes.

Nick C

Get a bracket, an air-release cable and a camera adaptor for a bankstick and with a little bit of practice you'll get all the photos you need from virtually any camera. Costs about £35. It's great for using the 'burst' function (when flash isn't required) where you can take multiple images for as long as the shutter button is depressed.

NB. I'd get the one for SLR cameras (rather than compact) as it works perfectly with both. Here's my PB bream caught on New Year's Day 2012 from a Yorkshire river taken by such means (and I haven't got a flip camera).

DSC00506e-1.jpg

Last edited:
look for a second hand canon g5 or upper models, all have infra red remote and are brill cameras......:)

look for a second hand canon g5 or upper models, all have infra red remote and are brill cameras......:)

Another 30 or 40 squids gets you to second hand G11 territory on a well known auction site. Flip screen, excellent IQ lots of functionality including a multi shot timer which pretty much removes the needs for plug in remotes. Personally I would not bother with any G series other than 11 or 12 for a variety of technical and imaging reasons.

Have a look on the Loddon thread for a picture taken at the weekend on self timer + remote on the canon G5. Great little camera - takes a while to get the best set up. Bought it on ebay for about £50.

Steve

Anthony,

That'#s disgusting, put it away please.

I think you're on the wrong site?

Only kidding.................................not!

Best regards,

Jeff

Camera

Canon powershot a630 flip out screen , bullet proof , and shots pictures above it,s weight. Get these on ebay for 100quid or any of the power shot range , a80,a630 etc. Easy to use and the beauty of the screen that flips right round so you can see your prize:d

Anthony,

That'#s disgusting, put it away please.

I think you're on the wrong site?

Only kidding.................................not!

Best regards,

Jeff

Sorry Jeff. Not the fish of your dreams, but as this is about photography and I've yet to catch a January barbel, I thought this would suffice in the quest to help a fellow member decide on what equipment he might turn to in the season ahead. Should boris make an appearance I'll edit the post but don't hold your breath....the perch are still hungry:D

Get a bracket, an air-release cable and a camera adaptor for a bankstick and with a little bit of practice you'll get all the photos you need from virtually any camera. Costs about £35. It's great for using the 'burst' function (when flash isn't required) where you can take multiple images for as long as the shutter button is depressed.

NB. I'd get the one for SLR cameras (rather than compact) as it works perfectly with both. Here's my PB bream caught on New Year's Day 2012 from a Yorkshire river taken by such means (and I haven't got a flip camera).

DSC00506e-1.jpg

Judging by his raised breeding tubercles, I think he fancies you Anthony :p

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
Being an angler who likes to travel light and have a camera with a great self take facility, after some searching I opted for the Canon Ixus digital 10mp which has a screw adaptor and a programmable self take, eg I have mine set to take the first shot after 30 sec and then 3x shots at 2 sec intervals. If your budget isn't huge this cost me £140 2 years ago so probably can be bought cheaper today.;)

Canon PowerShot G6 7.1 MP Digital Camera - Silver (4960999241173) | eBay

Take a look at this one mate. They are old, but take stunning pictures, have a swivel screen so you can easily line yourself up for decent shots, and should come with a very small remote for easy self takes. The remote is not listed with this one, but should still be available from Canon for not a lot.

A LOT of anglers swear by these, especially if you can't afford the newer versions, such as the G11 (Take care, not all later generations of this camera retained this revolving screen!)

Cheers, Dave.

Another 30 or 40 squids gets you to second hand G11 territory on a well known auction site. Flip screen, excellent IQ lots of functionality including a multi shot timer which pretty much removes the needs for plug in remotes. Personally I would not bother with any G series other than 11 or 12 for a variety of technical and imaging reasons.

I would second this, the G11 is a superb Camera, Although be careful second hand as not all of them have a flip screen, Mine doesnt but this isnt a problem for me. I know what distance to set to ensure I get a good pic, A piece of string tied to you tripod will give you a good indication of this distance.
With regards to timer/self take I prefer the option of a remote programmable timer, these can be obtained for around £30-£60. Set the programmable timer for a delay giving you time to pick up the fish and then how many shots you want to take.
The Beauty of this is that you can then concentrate on the fish with no button to press and the camera will autofocus before each shot.

Thanks for all the replies chaps, much appreciated. Given me plenty to think about and atleast a good idea where to start so thanks once again.

Gareth

DSC00506e-1.jpg

Is there some extreme localised global warming going on in that Yorkshire river ? I have never seen a bream ready for spawning so early , amazing . Nice photo

Last edited:
Is there some extreme gobal warming going on in that Yorkshire river ? I have never seen a bream ready for spawning so early , amazing . Nice photo

Knowing how cold and behind things get in them parts the tubercles are probably left overs from its last spawning -- in October :)

After a lot of thought and reading of reviews I think I might go for the Canon G6. Can pick one up for under £80 and the swivel screen and infra red remote is a big factor.

Alot of my fishing will be done in the evenings into night, does anyone have any pro's or con's about using the G6 in the dark (especially picture quality)

Thanks

Gareth

I know the budget was £200ish but for the benefit of anyone with a wad of cash burning a hole in their pocket I must advocate the benefits of the Sony NEX 5n.

As you'd expect it takes photos of an unbelievable quality inc. sweep panrama as well as full HD video and it also has optional lens' much like a DSLR.

However, for the self take aficionados it also has the "smile" function, set the camera up, select the "smile" function and it will only take the picture when it "see's you smile"! Simple as that, no timer, just hold the fish, look into the lens, a little smile and snap :) And so you don't look like a grinning buffoon you can also select "small smile" so all it takes is a upturn at the corners of the mouth and the picture is taken. It will keep taking pictures every time the camera detects a smile.

Of course, for those of you who are so inclined, this is no use if you prefer the "moody looking at the fish" type of shot :D

Cheers,

Steven

Back