• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Sea Bass

I have heard alot of good things about the IMA komomo...apart from the price.
On the subject of returning fish, my system is quite simple, anything of illegal size goes back, anything over 4lbs goes back, anything inbetween will normally go back unless I want some bass for whatever reason...in which case I will take a few of these middle sized fish and not feel guilty about it.
In my opininon the legal size requirement system in this country is the wrong way around...fish of over a certain size should be returned...putting the pressure on the more numerouse schoolies and non-breeders...and pressure off the big matriarch fish, that are so important for future generations of uk bass.

Yes, George, they have really slammed up plug prices since bass became a "Fash' Fish" here in the UK. They were never cheap (I bought my first Heddons from Latham's, the first U.S. to U.K. plug importers, as a kid in the late 1960s), but they have gone barmy now. Just please that I've cleared out a couple of shops clearing their stock, buying the best of it, over the years, and that I have bought well elsewhere, too.

I bought mainly cheaper lures but thought I'd treat myself to one more expensive jobby. It coped well with rough and calm conditions, unlike the cheaper minnows I bought. It also cast exceptionally well on my short rod, only beaten for distance by my large dexter.

I always resent paying over a tenner for a lure...having said that I have a few...and some of them are worth it (well, not really but if you want the lure you have to spend the money, and they do catch ALOT, such as the sammy, and the maxrap), but I will NEVER spend £20 on a lure, not when i throw them into the places I like to...when there is such a chance of never seeing them again, and when it comes to shallow and deeper divers daiwa do such a good range of really high quality serious fish catching lures...almost all for sub £10 (salt pro minnow, chugger minnow, saltiga minnow)

Was going to buy some salt minnows and saltiga minnows instead but left it too late to get them delivered. Plus delivery costs added to the saltiga bumped them up to the price that was comparable to the IMA. Unfortunately living in London there aren't too many tackle shops around that sell bass lures. The only one with any selection at all that I found was Farlowes and most of theirs are expensive Jap jobs.

Anyway, the IMA has a great action and does work very shallow so almost as safe as a popper when tackling rough ground. Read up some stuff on Henry Gilbey's website before settling on that one for my expensive choice. Can be made to work very shallow by lifting the rod tip. Also doesn't lose any action unless it actually touches the surface.

Its a small boy scuba in a smalller photo!

Was going to buy some salt minnows and saltiga minnows instead but left it too late to get them delivered. Plus delivery costs added to the saltiga bumped them up to the price that was comparable to the IMA. Unfortunately living in London there aren't too many tackle shops around that sell bass lures. The only one with any selection at all that I found was Farlowes and most of theirs are expensive Jap jobs.

Anyway, the IMA has a great action and does work very shallow so almost as safe as a popper when tackling rough ground. Read up some stuff on Henry Gilbey's website before settling on that one for my expensive choice. Can be made to work very shallow by lifting the rod tip. Also doesn't lose any action unless it actually touches the surface.

The salt pro minnow is THE lure, in lazer green shiner, unbelievable fish-catcher.
£8.79 delivered from monstertackle (excellent company by the way)

Heres another nice one taken on a lucky craft sammy 10cm...unbelievable lure...seem to be getting alot of larger bass on it at the mo.

Anyway...not monstrous but still a nice size at 5lb 9oz, check out how dark the fish is though, really brown and olive coloured, when i first saw it surface it looked like a brownie!...then a pollack...then a bass. Then had another of 3 lb (which as you can see ion the photo has nearly swallowed the lure, take was like someone had lobbed a hand-grenade in!)

P9070015.jpg

P9070033.jpg

Last edited:
The older and bigger they are, the darker they tend to become, George. I had a 7-14 in June that was dark pewter-black. Perfect condition, not a battered ancient. Back it went.

Strange though as the 10lber and the 7lber that i posted on here are from the same area , bigger, and as you can see from the photos on this thread they are both bars of silver. Infact i have never has a bass this colour before and i have caught quite a few fish considerable larger than this...a 7lb 2oz fish i had last season was almost a pearly white colour...i wonder if its something to do with this fish possibly being a resident estuary fish...whereas the others move in and out (the 7lb 2oz white one came from the open coast).
You should always release fish of 5lbs and over...shame that when you are bait fishing these bigger fish have a nasty habit of deep hooking themselves...thats another reason i like lure fishing.

Last edited:
The man from whom I received much encouragement and learned a lot about bass, Gordon Edwards, a gentleman full-time angler living with various fabulous girlfriends from the London Stage in his own beach hut every summer at Christchurch, mulleting and bassing (when he wasn't on the Royalty) from the early 1930s onwards, even having bass on fly THEN, told me that the old timers of his era had told him: "Silver over sand, black over rocks and weed". Might be something in this.

The man from whom I received much encouragement and learned a lot about bass, Gordon Edwards, a gentleman full-time angler living with various fabulous girlfriends from the London Stage in his own beach hut every summer at Christchurch, mulleting and bassing (when he wasn't on the Royalty) from the early 1930s onwards, even having bass on fly THEN, told me that the old timers of his era had told him: "Silver over sand, black over rocks and weed". Might be something in this.

Certainly makes sense doesn't it. Open cornish coast...alot of sand...estuary, mud, weed, rock.

Anyone know anything about the Gower, Swansea? I really fancy having a go over the next month or two, ideally I'd like to catch them on lures. Problem is I dont know where to start, any tips on location and type of lure to use?

Last edited:
Am hopefully having a go myself this weekend, prob tomorrow. I will find out some info for you. I am going to have a go at Caswell Bay which i believe is pretty good.

Hey Ray!
i think i maybe buying an inshore boat next week, on a trailer;) i,ll ring you mate

Yo JW, you gotta stop teasing me :D
If you do get one, i am more than happy to help you out on your maiden voyage :)

Went to langdown yesterday, lot of anglers down there and ended up having to go rock climbing to get to a decent casting point, was a bit of a nightmare with the waves crashing in below me. On setting up my spinning rod i found i had grabbed the wrong top section so my spinning was out the question. Ended up having to ledger fish with Mackerel for a blank session. Was an even bigger nightmare climbing back up as the tide had receded a fair bit and the drop was more noticeable :eek:

Talk soon mate

Back