• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Scraper doubles?

Reading some of the replies to this thread, the obvious conclusion is that the motivation of the barbel angler differs from person to person.....as to be expected really. Just a reflection of the rich tapestry of characteristics that makes up society in general.

No one's right or wrong.... :)

Agree with that statement.

My main motivation are big barbel. However, when conditions are tough i'm just as happy catching barbel of any size, as most of the time i'll be fishing for bites. So from my experience anglers motivations change through the season.

Last edited:
Jon, You said.............

"but anyone who has had multiple catches of barbel frequently, will instead of the numbers game, seek out the bigger girls, fact."

Sorry, not so, never have.......... I just go fishing, its enough on its own.

Ah , buts what the secret to seeking out the bigger specimens Jon , let us know then we can eliminate these truoblesome little uns or ' splashers ' as I see they are referred to :D

Ah , buts what the secret to seeking out the bigger specimens Jon , let us know then we can eliminate these truoblesome little uns or ' splashers ' as I see they are referred to :D

The FACT is you cannot totally eliminate splashers or scraper doubles.

few years ago now, some angler said to me,
nar, nothing big mate, to many small ones up that end and i'm not going to bother,
oh right, i said, suits me, and off i went, i think i had 8 singles and went home happy.

I wonder if all of you that are effectively saying "each to their own" are as lamentable as me?;):D

Reading some of the replies to this thread, the obvious conclusion is that the motivation of the barbel angler differs from person to person.....as to be expected really. Just a reflection of the rich tapestry of characteristics that makes up society in general.

No one's right or wrong.... :)

You've hit the nail on the head there Richard

Back