• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Scraper doubles?

Michael Hardy

Hiya All,

Was fishing on my local river today, and thought I had a rather sucessful day as I caught a 4.5lb chub and then two awesome barbel, which I did not weigh, but estimated to be around 6lbs, that absolutley fought their socks off and went away none the worse for their efforts - happy days or so I thought. As I returned back to my car I was questioned by a fellow angler as to what I had caught.

When I informed said angler of my catch and where I had been fishing - he said - oh yes they are nice fish, but there are plenty of 8-9lb fish up there, with the chance of some scraper doubles, but not any proper fish.

What????

Have people lost sight of what barbel fishing is all about or is it just me????

Oh well never mind, you go on catching your proper fish and I will just keep whacking plenty of 6lb fish and the odd scraper doubles and thoroughly enjoying myself :)

Michael....

Good on yer Michael, you carry on enjoying yourself...I'm with you...I met plenty of pillocks like them back in the 70's and 80's when I was heavily into Cyprinus Carpio...In those days similar comments were made about 18-19lb Carp. In fact I can go even further back to the early 70's soon after Bob Morris became the first Carp Angler to catch 100 doubles in a season. The plonkers of the fishing world were saying EXACTLY the same as has been said to you...Beggers belief doesn't it !! ??

Nice to see people knocking others yet again. Yep, enjoy catching barbel whatever the size, just don't catch too many or these real barbel anglers will accuse you of being a numbers chaser.:rolleyes:

I think that is just a sign of the times Michael - i would't worry about it. I had a 4lber last night but i would be lying if i said it meant as much as a big double and to be honest i don't believe the every barbel is equal crew.
It was enjoyable catching it though, babies like these are very precious. :)

I agree with Chris, each to his own. If an angler only regards doubles as "proper" fish then that's entirely his business and, arguably, his loss. I can see no difference to carp anglers being derisive about tench or, for that matter, some barbel anglers being derisive about chub & bream. Angling is far too diverse a sport for us all to sing from the same hymn sheet after all.
A vaguely similar thread was started a few months ago asking who always fishes for a PB. I definitely like to fish where I think there's a good chance of one but wouldn't expect everyone else to have the same outlook.

Barbel are barbel when all said and done regardless of size or fight power, I enjoy catching barbel regardless of size, but I also enjoy the challenge of fishing an hard venue for them, as a few people may know I caught 29 barbel in one session earlier this season but none of them a double and as I had an aim to catch a double from different stretch of river which I recently did I will Deffinately be heading back to the other place at some point to admire the fantastic barbel of any size (hopefully) :):)
Regardless

Barbel are barbel when all said and done regardless of size or fight power, I enjoy catching barbel regardless of size, but I also enjoy the challenge of fishing an hard venue for them, as a few people may know I caught 29 barbel in one session earlier this season but none of them a double and as I had an aim to catch a double from different stretch of river which I recently did I will Deffinately be heading back to the other place at some point to admire the fantastic barbel of any size (hopefully) :):)
Regardless

Exactly the point the angler said at the beginning of the thread. Quote "oh yes they are nice fish, but there are plenty of 8-9lb fish up there, with the chance of some scraper doubles, but not any proper fish". Great sport in there own right, but anyone who has had multiple catches of barbel frequently, will instead of the numbers game, seek out the bigger girls, fact. I try and mix it up a bit as much as I can, but for me the summer is a numbers game and round about now, is the time to seek out the proper fish and my traps set.

Exactly the point the angler said at the beginning of the thread. Quote "oh yes they are nice fish, but there are plenty of 8-9lb fish up there, with the chance of some scraper doubles, but not any proper fish". Great sport in there own right, but anyone who has had multiple catches of barbel frequently, will instead of the numbers game, seek out the bigger girls, fact. I try and mix it up a bit as much as I can, but for me the summer is a numbers game and round about now, is the time to seek out the proper fish and my traps set.

They are fantastic fish and the only thing that has put me off is it is a syndicate water with no night fishing, Deffinately great sport mate and as goes for any fish they all get treated with the same respect regardless of size, yeah I do mix it alot now when going to the Trent I tend to seek out the bigger girls but if I just want to go and catch barbel il fish the local river and enjoy it just as much however the Trent is a challenge for the big girls which is a different type of buzz to me. But with this been my first serious season il be keen to fish the local river just a few times as I can get away with lighter tackle and in those colder months on a small river catching barbel of between 6 and 9 will put a big smile on my face. But as goes for the big girls that will be a top priority in the winter and any barbel will be very much welcome.
Cheers

Someone here knows just how much of a big fish chaser I am. This summer I caught a fish, weighed it, photographed it, put it back. It was a decent fish in amongst quite a few others. Only about ten hours later when I was in the car going home did I stop and think that I'd done my PB.:eek:;):D
I suppose that I was playing the numbers game that day though.;):D

Someone here knows just how much of a big fish chaser I am. This summer I caught a fish, weighed it, photographed it, put it back. It was a decent fish in amongst quite a few others. Only about ten hours later when I was in the car going home did I stop and think that I'd done my PB.:eek:;):D
I suppose that I was playing the numbers game that day though.;):D

Nice little comment there Chris, it can get us carried away this fishing game :),I was once fishing my local had a run and just smiled and listened to the baitrunner for a few seconds absolutely magic, certain times in fishing are ones to treasure, I just love been on the river banks regardless of catching it takes me away from everything and watching the sunrise whilst having a cuppa, no better place to be imo.

Very rarely will I fish where I suspect nothing very big lives. This doesn't mean I don't enjoy every fish I catch because I do, barbel or other species. Everyone get's their buzz from some aspect of the sport, be it the bite, the fight or even the preparation, planning and execution of a successful session. My buzz is not knowing how big the fish responsible for pulling my rod round is going to be, should I land it. If I knew all fish in the stretch were average then my enjoyment of the session would be less.
I used to find this especially so with pike; for some reason seeing a pike float slide away when fishing the right type of water set's the imagination racing more than any other bite.

Very rarely will I fish where I suspect nothing very big lives. This doesn't mean I don't enjoy every fish I catch because I do, barbel or other species. Everyone get's their buzz from some aspect of the sport, be it the bite, the fight or even the preparation, planning and execution of a successful session. My buzz is not knowing how big the fish responsible for pulling my rod round is going to be, should I land it. If I knew all fish in the stretch were average then my enjoyment of the session would be less.
I used to find this especially so with pike; for some reason seeing a pike float slide away when fishing the right type of water set's the imagination racing more than any other bite.

That pike float bobbin away and seeing it move all over is a quality buzz aswel and like you said does get the heart racing i also like the spinner buzz of pike when it wacks on to the spinner. As you said The reason I love the bigger rivers is the fact of you never know the size but the bigger barbel Iv lost don't tend to give an aggressive wrap round like the smaller ones do and the wrap round off the smaller barbel gives me a certain buzz that's different to the ones Iv lost.

Jon, You said.............

"but anyone who has had multiple catches of barbel frequently, will instead of the numbers game, seek out the bigger girls, fact."

Sorry, not so, never have.......... I just go fishing, its enough on its own.

Jon, You said.............

"but anyone who has had multiple catches of barbel frequently, will instead of the numbers game, seek out the bigger girls, fact."

Sorry, not so, never have.......... I just go fishing, its enough on its own.

I knew after that statement someone would prove me wrong?

Reading some of the replies to this thread, the obvious conclusion is that the motivation of the barbel angler differs from person to person.....as to be expected really. Just a reflection of the rich tapestry of characteristics that makes up society in general.

No one's right or wrong.... :)

Back