• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

salt and meat.

I am not in the mood to justify anything I said.i did state it was my opinion
Like everybody else on here.being a butcher was only one of my talents
Manager with the pearl assurance co.and my own business for
30 years.pick another one
Albert

I'll raise you a checkweighman with the Min of Ag, RAF Police dog handler, IT salesman, a few shops I have owned. managed a few electrical retail shops, including 10 years Electricity boards and a few more other jobs too,(Life Assurance) but the facts remain Barbel love salt :rolleyes:

And I am still a poor man :(

How does a simple question about using salt turn into turn into a who, s who and what they have done in their lives.amazing.lol

How does a simple question about using salt turn into turn into a who, s who and what they have done in their lives.amazing.lol

Yes but the original question in itself was a bit odd in itself Nigel, what I did try and do was put a positive spin on the salt thing, however I didn't expect Bill the butcher and Co: and the man from the 'Pru to take me to task:)

So sorry if it is off topic, so let's get back on again.

Why did you add salt?:confused:

Well Neil that is some history.shut my mouth.just lost a family member.puts this lot into perspective.my fault.
Albert

No it's not anyone's fault Albert, just banter, I mean when the fishing is this hard what else can we do? :confused:

Sorry to hear of your loss, it does put things into perspective though.

Salt!

Fella's,

I am not sure how to post links, but if you pop the following into the Youtube search engine it is very interesting and informative and totally in keeping with the thread content.

DNA Baits - Mark Holmes bait clinic

Kind of brings things into a little more perspective regarding the use of salt...
perhaps! :)

Albert, get one thing straight, you are one of the most likeable and respected blokes on here, I value your in depth knowledge on Barbel fishing as I am sure everyone else on here does.

Keep on being our Albert :p

I'm a member of the Albert fan club as well Neil,old school not like some of the present crop..Keep posting Albert

I'm a member of the Albert fan club as well Neil,old school not like some of the present crop.

In about 30 or 40 years time even the youngest of the present crop will be known as old school :D

As for salt in baits, I've used it for carp for years, a great dollop in the spod mix has always seemed to bring a fish or three. Especially when used in conjunction with salt cured boilies or boilies with a decent amount added to the initial mix

Albert, I commiserate, as you say, brings things into perspective!

Just a small point, salt is routinely added to many ground baits, for many fish the ingestion of salt makes them…………….……Er!!! Defecate!!

The more they defecate the more they will feed, this particularly applies to small fish like Gudgeon, but I suspect the same can be said of ALL fish.

Some ground baits contain a lot of salt; a swift taste test will show just how much, one of the problems with this salt we used to find quite irritating when we were match fishing if we were using Bloodworm, salt kills Bloodworm and Joker stone dead so one had to be very careful which ground bait we used in conjunction with these baits as a kilo of Joker was quite expensive and Joker is only effective as a “draw†if it is alive and “dancing†on the bottom!

Another small point, I do quite a bit of Jigging for Zander, purchasing quite a lot of jelly lures from Lunker City, these lures are impregnated with salt, again a quick taste test will reveal just how much!
As general rule a new very salty lure will out-fish an old relatively salt free lure on most occasions.

I also remember when some kids threw a cattle salt lick into a rather un-remarkable swim on the river Kennet, that swim always contained Barbel and Chub for some weeks after the event!!

Make of all that what you will!

Tight lines.

It always makes me smile when every winter we have the old road salt and snow melt thread after a prolonged freeze. I am convinced that all that puts the fish off in those conditions is the other toxic chemicals from the roads added to an overload of raw farm sewerage.

As a Koi keeper I routinely add salt to my pond, its good for the fish and helps keep the parasite loading down.
There is plenty of evidence to show that the fish in the Avon and Stour often migrate between the brackish water of Christchurch harbor. I harly think they would do that if the salt was toxic to them.

Back