• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

salt and meat.

Nigel Bryans

Been trying to find a thread where adding salt to meat draws out some of the moisture.any pointers appreachiated.

as a butcher of over 50 years as far as i know with bacon, pork covered with dry salt added to a temperature controlled room will give dry cured bacon

Why bother I have had more barbel on unadulterated than I have had good dinners.if they want it they will have it if they don't they won't.where do you stop with this flavouring?i have bought flavours and then forgot about them.
Albert

Been trying to find a thread where adding salt to meat draws out some of the moisture.any pointers appreachiated.

Adding salt to meat of course was the only way of keeping meat from rotting pre 'fridges, and it does draw out moisture. Don't know why that would help with baits, but Dave Mason gave a talk down here a couple of years back and 'pitched' the salt idea for barbel as it seems to be a vital mineral fish require especially after spawning.

Maybe so Neil I am not a carper although I did once net a 16lb7oz one while chub fishing I digress the meat is just my opinion.john walker gives you the run down earlier in the thread that's why I chose not to elaborate
Albert

I agree with Albert nigel, salt will have the same effcect on fish as it has on the meat, or at least too much will.
If you're trying to make your hookbait firmer to stop being ripped off the hair, go for a firm type of meat like salami, if it's being used directly on the hook, i prefer it soft anyway so the hook pulls through easily.

Ian

A few grains of salt in a river is going to make no difference at all. It will draw the moisture from the meat though as will sugar, the Egyptians used both in the mummification process and those old boys are pretty dry.
Why you would want to do it though is beyond me, unadulterated meat, straight from the can is one of the best, most versatile baits going and even today probably catches as many barbel as all the designer baits added together.

Never mind the chaser we have some smart cookies on here.i agree with Adrian .i once had 14 barbel on the Severn with 10 mm bits of meat straight out of the can.if I had 10 blanks on the trot with it it s because I'm in the wrong place
No it was not horse meat::
Albert

Nigel
If it’s any help I once tried drying fish chunks in an air dehydrator then rehydrating in an amino rich solution. To make kebab baits for preds. It made a mess; the missus got the hump about making her dehydrator and the kitchen stink.
Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Maybe so Neil I am not a carper although I did once net a 16lb7oz one while chub fishing I digress the meat is just my opinion.john walker gives you the run down earlier in the thread that's why I chose not to elaborate
Albert

But I don't take my fishing from a butcher:) Albert, Dave Mason does me fine.

I am not in the mood to justify anything I said.i did state it was my opinion
Like everybody else on here.being a butcher was only one of my talents
Manager with the pearl assurance co.and my own business for
30 years.pick another one
Albert

Back