• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Sad times just makes us think

After driving a cab on nights for over 30 years, i have had to start working days. Liverpool a ghost town at night. Getting to the local supermarket, ( Morrisons ) at 8a.m. when it opens, just to try an earn a few quid, to put something on the table. Today, i had tears running down my face. They were only allowing 20 people in the store at any one time, as one left, another was allowed in. I was first on the rank, outside the main entrance. It was 3.20 p.m. A nurse in uniform, joined the back of about 30 people waiting outside, the security guard on duty, told her she didn't have to wait in the queue, and go straight into the store. She point blankely refused, saying other people had been waiting longer the her, and she would wait her turn. If i could have ran in the store, i would have, and bought her the biggest bunch of flowers i could. God bless that lady, and all our NHS staff and front line workers.

P.S. My daughter also is an NHS worker, and still doing her job everyday. I'm so proud of her.
It sounds like your daughter had a good teacher Derek,
Regards,
G.T.

After driving a cab on nights for over 30 years, i have had to start working days. Liverpool a ghost town at night. Getting to the local supermarket, ( Morrisons ) at 8a.m. when it opens, just to try an earn a few quid, to put something on the table. Today, i had tears running down my face. They were only allowing 20 people in the store at any one time, as one left, another was allowed in. I was first on the rank, outside the main entrance. It was 3.20 p.m. A nurse in uniform, joined the back of about 30 people waiting outside, the security guard on duty, told her she didn't have to wait in the queue, and go straight into the store. She point blankely refused, saying other people had been waiting longer the her, and she would wait her turn. If i could have ran in the store, i would have, and bought her the biggest bunch of flowers i could. God bless that lady, and all our NHS staff and front line workers.

P.S. My daughter also is an NHS worker, and still doing her job everyday. I'm so proud of her.
NHS workers should not be wearing their uniforms outside of their work place either on their way to or from work. It is a disciplinary matter in most (if not all) Trusts.

Ha !
Well I expect she will be suitably ticked off 😒, how disgraceful !

Bought my wife a nurses uniform , she enjoys a bit of discipline.😜

Three cheers for Boris and the team I say.
Very clever mate,
Ha !

Very clever mate,perhaps as paul W said,you should carry a card !!

Ha !

FUNNY THAT !!
I bought my wife a nurses uniform too !!! she said oo are we going to play some games ?
I said no we need a loaf !

The vast majority of people in this country care deeply about public services and the NHS, the fact is people have differing views on how they should be managed, funded etc.

I’ve never voted Tory, but I think it’s a lazy stereotype to characterise the party as hating the NHS. For every NHS abolitionist such as Daniel Hannon there are dozens more who believe in it. Last time I looked there were four times the number of GP’s, surgeons and medical practitioners sat on the Conservative side of the house than on the opposition benches.

Labour invested more money into the NHS under Blair and Brown and built some very good hospitals, but they also massively widened the pay gulf between Dr’s and nursing staff which I feel is wrong. They also massively ramped up the PFI initiative, the results of which is that some NHS trusts are paying around 17% of their budgets in paying off debt and will be doing so for the next 30 years.

As ever the debate is nuanced and far from straightforward.

Anyway, as has been said now isn’t the time for finger pointing and political recriminations, it’s time to show our appreciation for all those keyworkers that are putting themselves on the line whilst many of us put their feet up in front of Netflix...

Just a thought (or two).... Purely as a reminder;)

The OVERALL umbrella title for this Particular Forum is: Barbel FISHING World.

Further to this, the Sub-heading for this particular section is: BARBEL Talk.

Below that Sub-heading is the by-line: "STRICTLY FISH AND FISHING"

Like everyone else I'm of course counting the days 'til June 16 (and hoping!). However one of the main reasons for me steadfastly refusing to subscribe to Facebook, Twitter etc and similar media ( at 74, unecessary and pointless "noise" in my life) is that if I want to be updated in political/national and international issues I would take an interest on the appropriate platforms (tv, radio, newspapers etc) and not in areas where I normally seek to enjoy my lifetime's ( for over 62 years!) favourite escape from daily routine🎣

Everybody just stay safe for the foreseeable.

Just a thought (or two).... Purely as a reminder;)

The OVERALL umbrella title for this Particular Forum is: Barbel FISHING World.

Further to this, the Sub-heading for this particular section is: BARBEL Talk.

Below that Sub-heading is the by-line: "STRICTLY FISH AND FISHING"

Like everyone else I'm of course counting the days 'til June 16 (and hoping!). However one of the main reasons for me steadfastly refusing to subscribe to Facebook, Twitter etc and similar media ( at 74, unecessary and pointless "noise" in my life) is that if I want to be updated in political/national and international issues I would take an interest on the appropriate platforms (tv, radio, newspapers etc) and not in areas where I normally seek to enjoy my lifetime's ( for over 62 years!) favourite escape from daily routine🎣

Everybody just stay safe for the foreseeable.
I THINK !
the current situation is a slightly more important than any form of fishing ? ( especially at this time none of us can do it !! )
and my post was not intended for it to be a political debate but just to point out the facts we are all in this together and owe a debt to the wonderful people in this world and clearly my thread has ruffled your feathers I am the same age as you !
but I know how scroll by anything that I dont like and trust the moderators of this wonderful forum to know their job

I THINK !
the current situation is a slightly more important than any form of fishing ? ( especially at this time none of us can do it !! )
and my post was not intended for it to be a political debate but just to point out the facts we are all in this together and owe a debt to the wonderful people in this world and clearly my thread has ruffled your feathers I am the same age as you !
but I know how scroll by anything that I dont like and trust the moderators of this wonderful forum to know their job

Gerry

I totally get where Roger is coming from, but I (and no doubt others) agree with your sentiment and think it's a good idea to remind people of what's really important. I haven't even been thinking of fishing whilst this got more serious the other week, and I daresay that any major global event will obviously dominate every social medium. I don't think for one second any of the mods will be tutting and wagging their finger at you or the thinking behind the thread.

I am, of course, fully aware of the seriousness of the present situation and, like thousands of others last night, my wife and I were outside our front door (in a small close of just 12 houses) joining in and applauding those front-line staff who are performing amazing and challenging work in the unenviable conditions that they currently face. Not to mention all other key emergency services.

However, I also consider that with this unprecedented threat to the entire well-being of our world, and its necessarily constant updating by all media, it would be nice ( for ALL of us and our well-being) not to have it raised at every opportunity without other items/issues, from time to time, to counter the doom and gloom that, inevitably, accompanies it.

For my two-penneth, some Forum threads may be seen to be obviously CV-19 related by their thread titles. Others are, in the main, 'other matter' related. If you don't wish to join in on CV-19 related threads, don't. If you don't wish to read such threads' content, don't 'click' on them.
Each to their own (esp re. social distancing 😉 ).

NHS workers should not be wearing their uniforms outside of their work place either on their way to or from work. It is a disciplinary matter in most (if not all) Trusts.

An awful lot of people have now stopped work, or, are working from home. Nurses, doctors, medical staff are all still going in everyday, helping to save peoples lives, they dont have time to shop like others do, because of the long hours they work. I would tell ALL of them to wear their uniforms, to get into the supermarkets an hour before the general public, and suffer any consequences later. And what person in their right mind, would have the balls or audacity to discipline them, after the incredible work these people are doing.

My wife normally goes to work in her uniform to a dementia home, she now has to leave her uniform at work to be washed so she isn't bringing any infection out or taking any in. Commonsense if you think about it, not bureaucratic rules Derek.

An awful lot of people have now stopped work, or, are working from home. Nurses, doctors, medical staff are all still going in everyday, helping to save peoples lives, they dont have time to shop like others do, because of the long hours they work. I would tell ALL of them to wear their uniforms, to get into the supermarkets an hour before the general public, and suffer any consequences later. And what person in their right mind, would have the balls or audacity to discipline them, after the incredible work these people are doing.
Sorry, absolutely not. Uniforms can be potential source of infection they MUST NOT be worn outside of the workplace. I would challenge any of my NHS colleagues should I see them in uniform in public whether it is a supermarket queue or elsewhere. The uniform is not a badge of honour or bravery it is practical clothing used to prevent cross infection.

Sorry, absolutely not. Uniforms can be potential source of infection they MUST NOT be worn outside of the workplace. I would challenge any of my NHS colleagues should I see them in uniform in public whether it is a supermarket queue or elsewhere. The uniform is not a badge of honour or bravery it is practical clothing used to prevent cross infection.
Absolutely agree John.
im not sure “suffer any consequences later” is really the way forward ... I’d say the world is suffering enough at present.
Yes these people are going above and beyond at the moment with very little free time to take care of themselves but it’s in their own interest to relieve pressure on them selves as it is In our interest to do the same for them. Nobody should be taking risks with contamination and spread if we are to stand half a chance of this bloody thing dying off.

thats not quite right
At the moment, nurses are allowed to wear their uniforms while travelling to and from work, as long as it is covered by an outer garment. this was bought in so it didnt extend their working day by changing in and out of their uniform

apparently this is currently being reviewed and Nurses could be banned from wearing their uniforms off hospital premises - because the public are afraid they could spread the virus

Back