• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Sad times just makes us think

Gerry Giles

Senior Member & Supporter
It’s a big eye opener all of this, isn’t it
We are finally realising money has no value.
Your amazing job is no longer an amazing job, your expensive clothes now have no worth and no one gives a shit how you look anymore.
Your big house is just 4 empty walls like everyone else’s.
Your nice car is running on 4 tyres, the same as everyone else’s.
We are finally seeing who the important people are, the ones who make a difference to our lives and are doing the crucial jobs we need.
Shop workers ✔️
Care workers ✔️
NHS staff ✔️
Emergency services ✔️
Farmers ✔️
Teachers ✔️
Lorry drivers/delivery people ✔️
Cleaners ✔️
Refuse workers ✔️
These people are the ones who keep our country ticking over, the core of our daily lives, the people who regularly go unnoticed and are often frowned upon but keep working hard, generally on a low income.
People constantly look down on them and gloat that they earn more money than them.
But what worth does your money have now?
How secure is your job in the real world when we take a step back to reality?
I’m proud of all of these people, they don’t earn enough for what they do, and they’re never appreciated for what they contribute.
Be kind to them, thank them, go out your way to tell them what an amazing job they’re doing.
Could you imagine how shit this would be without them??

Amen Terry well said. Most my family are in the NHS. My dad having been a nurse tutor amongst other capacities for over 40 years is currently in hospital pretty unwell within his heart being cared for by wonderful staff there

Why do some people not understand "stay at home, unless it's important"? :(

Perhaps we need a card, similar to a donor card, that these people could carry. Something like "I flout the rules that were introduced to keep us, and the brave front line workers, all safe. So I waive the right to accepting care should I need it"

Graham T - it's not political points scoring, it's a strong echo of Gerry's points. The tories hate the NHS and the public sector and have done for decades. Without those this country really would be on its knees, as the current situation proves.
Steve.
So all other Countries like Italy Spain USA etc. Were well equipped to deal with the situation? Yet you highlight UK... get real get honest.

My daughter, a Doctor in Salford General, has told me it is almost certain she will catch it.

Pull together and mitigate risk.

Of course the Communist model of baton beating people in the street may have worked better.

Steve.
So all other Countries like Italy Spain USA etc. Were well equipped to deal with the situation? Yet you highlight UK... get real get honest.

My daughter, a Doctor in Salford General, has told me it is almost certain she will catch it.

Pull together and mitigate risk.

Of course the Communist model of baton beating people in the street may have worked better.

Graham

I haven't mentioned any other countries at all, and I only "highlight" the UK because it's the country we live in. Also I don't know what this has to do with communism(?), something else I never mentioned. (although baton beating would break up those groups of teens I've seen walking around like they don't care)

Knowing lots of people that work in the NHS in various roles (albeit no doctors) I empathise with your daughter's position as those I know have basically said the same thing (one or two actually suspect they now currently have it). Without exception they blame the current situation of lack of beds, equipment and staff on the monumental cuts made by the tories over successive administrations, which only backs up my point.

Also, shouldn't it be stay apart and mitigate risk?;) (sorry - couldn't resist)

Dont forget us food manufacturers;);)😀

Keep those supermarket shelves stocked Shippo! I'll keep my eyes peeled for you on the banks at Lacock when all this has blown over. Autumn 2025 good for you?

Graham T - it's not political points scoring, it's a strong echo of Gerry's points. The tories hate the NHS and the public sector and have done for decades. Without those this country really would be on its knees, as the current situation proves.
You will forgive me if I highlight that most of the country have disagreed with your political persuasion. The alternative was unthinkable.
Keep Safe,
G.T.

You will forgive me if I highlight that most of the country have disagreed with your political persuasion. The alternative was unthinkable.
Keep Safe,
G.T.

Disagreeing with endless tory cuts to the NHS and public services (which is surely a sensible thing to disagree with, no?) does not automatically equal a vote for the reds and it bewilders me why people always think you're a far left loon when you criticise the tories - other colours are (and always have been) available without trying to make every single cog in this country run on capitalism. I'm no Marxist-Leninist bolshevik (the far left are just as bad as the far right, but obviously in different ways), and I LOVE having stuff, but some things just can't and shouldn't be run to make a profit. The sooner the tories realise that, the better. But they haven't realised it for getting on for 50 years despite numerous failings, lack of investment in infrastructure, and things being brought back in-house, so I'm not expecting them to change any time soon.

And I would hazard a guess that an awful lot of tory converts (as opposed to long-term dyed in the wool tory voters) who "disagreed with (my) political persuasion" this time around voted that way based on the (pre-coronavirus) lies about how much extra funding the NHS would get following brexit, brexit itself, and Corbyn being a dithering fence sitter on pretty much every single thing aside from brexit (I'm still completely flummoxed by the whole labour semitism thing, so I'm purposely not including that).

Anyway, I'm starting to veer WAAAAAAAAAAY off topic now, so I'll leave it at that and wish everyone the very best in these absolutely mental times.

...errrrmmmmmmm...summat about barbel......

I am not a huge BJ fan but could you imagine what a cluster f..k it would be if Corbyn was running the country? BJ's pole rating has gone up substantially so the public perception is that he must be doing something right.

It’s a big eye opener all of this, isn’t it
We are finally realising money has no value.
Your amazing job is no longer an amazing job, your expensive clothes now have no worth and no one gives a shit how you look anymore.
Your big house is just 4 empty walls like everyone else’s.
Your nice car is running on 4 tyres, the same as everyone else’s.
We are finally seeing who the important people are, the ones who make a difference to our lives and are doing the crucial jobs we need.
Shop workers ✔
Care workers ✔
NHS staff ✔
Emergency services ✔
Farmers ✔
Teachers ✔
Lorry drivers/delivery people ✔
Cleaners ✔
Refuse workers ✔
These people are the ones who keep our country ticking over, the core of our daily lives, the people who regularly go unnoticed and are often frowned upon but keep working hard, generally on a low income.
People constantly look down on them and gloat that they earn more money than them.
But what worth does your money have now?
How secure is your job in the real world when we take a step back to reality?
I’m proud of all of these people, they don’t earn enough for what they do, and they’re never appreciated for what they contribute.
Be kind to them, thank them, go out your way to tell them what an amazing job they’re doing.
Could you imagine how shit this would be without them??

I thanked the staff in the food store I was in the other day. I am extremely grateful for their commitment ...they a group of people who are really on the front line!

After driving a cab on nights for over 30 years, i have had to start working days. Liverpool a ghost town at night. Getting to the local supermarket, ( Morrisons ) at 8a.m. when it opens, just to try an earn a few quid, to put something on the table. Today, i had tears running down my face. They were only allowing 20 people in the store at any one time, as one left, another was allowed in. I was first on the rank, outside the main entrance. It was 3.20 p.m. A nurse in uniform, joined the back of about 30 people waiting outside, the security guard on duty, told her she didn't have to wait in the queue, and go straight into the store. She point blankely refused, saying other people had been waiting longer the her, and she would wait her turn. If i could have ran in the store, i would have, and bought her the biggest bunch of flowers i could. God bless that lady, and all our NHS staff and front line workers.

P.S. My daughter also is an NHS worker, and still doing her job everyday. I'm so proud of her.

Tesco’s have substantially upgraded their game today compared to last week. I queued for 15 minutes in a social distancing queue, as they were only allowing 50 people at one time into the store (one in, one out) the staff were everywhere with cleaning products and I witnessed an elderly (and obviously slightly confused chap)getting one on one help, ensuring he got everything he needed and he got put the store ASAP. Pretty impressed by the comparison of last weeks empty shelved free for all.

I am not a huge BJ fan but could you imagine what a cluster f..k it would be if Corbyn was running the country? BJ's pole rating has gone up substantially so the public perception is that he must be doing something right.
Imagine the Corby and Abbot show? No I can either, BJ is doing a fine job. It's the country that needs to pull together and get rid of the negativity now.

Back