• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Sad news....is this the same Steve from Here?

Very very sad indeed. We're all guilty of taking risks involved with our beloved sport but I guess this just shows how easy it can happen especially as this guy was long experienced angler,wasn't aware of such lifebelts as mentioned? Anyone care to elaborate with bad conditions looming and would it help at all with winter clobber on knowing the weight of it all when wet,shock etc?

I was dreading opening this thread again when I saw it this evening, I'm not a religious man but my prayers go out to Steve and his family...there's still a slim hope and I'll cling to that. I sat on the banks of the Kennet last evening and Steve was on my mind. Never met him but feel it all the same.

life jackets do help but are certainly not failsafe in heavy water conditions
but they help your chance of survival if used correctly. also cold will make you pass out when body temperature drops too low, shock!, this will probably disentoriate most people unless they have proper training to counteract this, again shock can and will disentoriate most people, once this happens eople would find it hard to extract themselves from the river if they make to the side of riverbank in heavy water

Last edited:
This is awful to read, It puts everything into perspective really doesn't it.
As an angler I can 100% understand his risk to go out on dodgey banks (along many others, I have also done this!)

I really hope they find Steve alive. A very sad reminder that we need to be ridiculously careful when fishing these sorts of venues! Fingers crossed!

This is a really sad story which in all likelyhood is only going to have a bad outcome, my heart goes out to his family and i really hope i'm wrong.
My regular fishing mate and i had this conversation a few weeks ago, i had been fishing after dark in torrential rain moving swims every half hour or so, the banks were steep and very awkward to say the least and were fast becoming downright dangerous, now that bit of river is not a place you want to end up in so i did the sensible thing for once and despite perfect conditions i called it a day.
BUT, the fact is that we all take stupid risks on rising/flooding rivers and how many of us bother to wear a life jacket ? i would guess the answer to that is none! Yes the cold will get you as well as John so rightly says, but i would much rather end up in the river with a jacket on than not, as for not panicking, well thats easy to say and not as easy to actually do!
If nothing else good comes from this horrible story i hope you all start to think the worst and take precautions.
Stay safe.

Last edited:
MarinePool ISO 165N Camouflage Auto Lifejacket | eBay

Someone asked earlier about life jackets, something along these lines could only help if the worst happened.

Thanks for the link Stuart, I just ordered one. This is a very distressing and frightening news item and it's only a surprise more incidents in heavily flooded rivers don't occur. Like most, I have a bad feeling about this but will pray for Steves safe return.

Still no news i am afraid about Steve being found. I spoke to the Police today and divers are continuing there search under rafts and overhanging trees and the river bed. The Lower Benyons Blue section remains closed for the immediate future. Very Sad.

Ray

Graham just called me to say Steve's body has been found, his family have been informed, very sad in deed :(

Last edited:
Back