• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Ruckbag replacement

Richard Isaacs

Senior Member & Supporter
While it still works my trusty Korum roving ruckbag is coming to the end of its life. One of the zips on the main opening is not closing the bag any more and resetting it into its tracks is now a temporary fix.
Had it many many years and done some modifications to it over the years to improve the way it is able to carry non Korum chairs. (Never particularly liked the original chair carrying system with the straps going over the chair)
Time for new before it lets me down mid session.
I have read through all the forum posts on this subject and I know what people have but despite the fact there wasn’t a single recommendation for it on here I went for the fox ruckall.
I looked at another Korum I looked at the Aqua I looked at Nash cubes and many others all of which are missing a huge trick imo.
they pile loads of different funky Features into the bag but the one thing that’s super important to me they don’t offer.
You cannot carry a chair of your choice on your back with it straight out the box.
I like my arms to be completely free when I’m roving the banks.
I’m feeding my swims as I rove the banks with all my gear on my back.
im taking the keys out my pocket and unlocking the car as I walk towards it carrying everything. I couldn’t be without the functionality of carrying my chair on my back nowadays as I’m so used to that luxury.
The fox ruckall is the only system I could find that ticks all the boxes.
I can’t sing it’s praises and tell you it’s brilliant as it hasn’t seen a river bank yet.
so it’s dimensionally the same width as the Korum but it’s a good 2 inch deeper and longer.
this is an advantage for me as I can now put my coat in the bag rather than wearing as a means of carrying. Once the coat is in I can’t actually carry any more stuff than before so it’s still a good roving tool and not giving me excuses to fill it further with unneeded stuff.

Design wise it’s identical to the Korum. Lays flat on sloping banks. one big opening and all your gear to hand. Standing rucksacks are just a total ball ache on river banks imo.

The zips as you can see in the last pic are twice as chunky over the Korum.
Proper heavy duty things by the look of them so hopefully they will do the business. Anyway thought I’d share as it appears no one on here seems to of gone this route. Maybe people think it’s just too carpy????
Dunno. I personally see it as it could potentially be the best river bag on the market for guys like me. Obviously different people different priorities etc.
I love the fact you can just throw any chair you want on the back of it in seconds and away you go to the next swim.
Let’s see if over time it’s worth it’s price tag.
If I had to find a negative over the original Korum ruckbag it would be the lack of D loops. These were quite handy for hooking the fast mat to. Instead Ill just push it inside the chair now. 👍🏻
42CF2081-1705-4B3E-BB6E-6692754B2BFE.jpeg245B922E-5B5B-4993-950F-56344E0D2CDE.jpeg608A292E-DEB4-402B-AB5C-65BD052369D2.jpegDFACD219-BFE5-4BF9-AEA2-AC0BB4470168.jpegC8FA3160-DBD6-40A9-A1FE-6B58AFB07BD9.jpegAE48301C-FB99-4A14-8C6C-6D8F62DBC21F.jpeg073C41DA-A47F-425A-B206-B3E8AB21ACC1.jpeg

Last edited:
Might have to have a look at them soon as the zips are going on my korum bag and it’s only about 3 years old. Iv already has to replace the chair as that started splitting the first year I had it. But I do love the idea of it having your chair on your back and don’t think I could go back to carrying it

Looks like a nice piece of kit. The only thing I can see it is missing is a chest strap (I think)....
Yes there is no chest strap on it.
my Korum roving bag doesn’t have a chest strap either so I’ve never Had or felt the need for it personally. It’s very secure when you pull the shoulder straps tight.

Is there any thing on the bag to stop the chair moving sideways like the hooks on the korum bag?
That chair is going no where
You throw the straps over the chair clip them in and pull the loose ends tight. It’s never going to move. You couldn’t physically pull the chair out in any direction if you tried. It’s an awesome system. So fast and easy. You can chuck the chair on in any position you like and just clip in the straps, pull to secure

Looks ok, pity about the colour scheme, I had a bit of a problem picking it out at all on the photos.

David

Looks ok, pity about the colour scheme, I had a bit of a problem picking it out at all on the photos.

David
Camolite colours. I think the colours are great.
perfect for stalking the bank.
they do the voyager one too which is plain green/brown colour.

Guys, if you want to fit your chair to your existing rucksack just get some webbing and side release buckles and make your own straps.
I use Webfittings.co.uk, the items are really inexpensive and quick delivery. I got 10mtrs of webbing and 10sets of clips for about a fiver.
I did something similar to my Korum and fitted heavy duty clips to the bag to clip a chair too.
works well.

It does look a nice piece of kit and I've just been thinking of ways to fix my chair to my ruck sack, but £80 (cheapest I've found) is IMO a little over priced, although Fox are far from the only tackle company guilty of over charging.

I have the new Korum Transition Ruckbag and the zips are huge and the bag itself is capacious. Inevitably, I feel obliged to fill it so pack ridiculous items like two loaves of bread having deluded myself I will encounter a regiment of chub. I've had the same cable ties and carabiner clips on my 2.5kg JRC chair for 20 years which attach to the ruckbag in seconds. The next day I use a small rucksack and clip a strap to the chair which goes over my left shoulder and across my body with a quiver in the same way over my right. I too prefer to roam hands-free.

Richard, A question about the Korum Ruckbag if I may?
I ve just purchased one of these and need to buy a new chair, are only Korum chairs compatible with the clips? I know I could bodge something up to fit anything, but nice to have things right if possible.

I ve just purchased one of these and need to buy a new chair, are only Korum chairs compatible with the clips? I know I could bodge something up to fit anything, but nice to have things right if possible.
Other chairs do fit with the ruckbag hooks Rich but I honestly wouldn’t like to hazard a guess at which ones.
I think if you were to start a thread asking the question you’d probably find a good number of members are using the Korum bags with various chairs. I don’t like the Korum chair system personally as I find the straps are too short if I’m wearing layers by the time they have passed over the chair so I always fitted my chair using other means.

I had to replace my chair this year and brought a chub classic chair I think it’s called. It fits in the clips just about. I think the height of the back of the chair is what you want to look out for cause if it’s a high back it might not fit the shoulder straps. My chub chair is similar dimensions to the korum one

Richard..... Many thanks for your in-depth review of the Fox Ruckbag. With that, I managed to get myself one (plain green) from my local tackle shop. (Its a tackle-shop/Pet shop!!). I actually went in with virtually no hope as they have very little stock. Other places I tried were all sold out. After looking in their store room they found one hidden at the back!!. As it was "Old Stock" they let me have it for 50 quid!!!. I quickly paid and left!. Its absolutely brilliant. The way the chair fixes on the back is cracking. As you rightly say, although it only has the 2 straps the chair aint going nowhere!. Definitely the best rucksack I've owned in 40 years of fishing. Thanks for the heads-up.

Richard..... Many thanks for your in-depth review of the Fox Ruckbag. With that, I managed to get myself one (plain green) from my local tackle shop. (Its a tackle-shop/Pet shop!!). I actually went in with virtually no hope as they have very little stock. Other places I tried were all sold out. After looking in their store room they found one hidden at the back!!. As it was "Old Stock" they let me have it for 50 quid!!!. I quickly paid and left!. Its absolutely brilliant. The way the chair fixes on the back is cracking. As you rightly say, although it only has the 2 straps the chair aint going nowhere!. Definitely the best rucksack I've owned in 40 years of fishing. Thanks for the heads-up.
I use mine a lot and absolutely love it. It’s had a proper good test since I bought it. By far the best way of attaching a chair than I’ve seen before on any other system. as it’s just so simple and quick and the chair dimensions don’t matter.
Its only real negative point is a result of one of its major positive points.
It’s extremely heavy duty and the materials and zips were built to go to war. As a result it’s a heavy item for a bag.
what’s the lesser of 2 evils I suppose? While I’m relatively fit and active I’ll adopt for heavier duty and heavier weight over light duty and lighter weight.

Back