• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Rolling Rod

I was going to suggest exactly the same for the waggler work, what are you targeting?
Would be far too soft in the tip for rolling, after all rolling is more or less touch ledgering on the move and soft tips and touch ledgering don't really work.
I used to do mostly rolling and 95% of the takes were felt as a lessening of tension on the line, I'd have missed most of them with a soft tip.
Don't forget braid is almost essential too. Not so good for the waggler work as it floats like a cork.

If you were to get a Torrix, if you had a section break a number of years down the line then you would be able to get a replacement that fits. Can't speak for other makes mentioned.
A lot of customers have bought the 11' 1.75 Torrix for rolling, but it makes a very good general purpose rod for most conditions.

I was going to suggest exactly the same for the waggler work, what are you targeting?
Would be far too soft in the tip for rolling, after all rolling is more or less touch ledgering on the move and soft tips and touch ledgering don't really work.
I used to do mostly rolling and 95% of the takes were felt as a lessening of tension on the line, I'd have missed most of them with a soft tip.
Don't forget braid is almost essential too. Not so good for the waggler work as it floats like a cork.

Target : Severn barbel. Yeah I can see what you mean about soft tips being unsuitable for touch 'ledgering' ... and I've thought a lot about this quandary. Overall I reckon that with rolling you're not (necessarily/always) going to have your rod at an angle to where line enters the water, an angle (that angle) that would 'absorb' some of the 'take' if you were touch ledgering (with your rod at an angle to line entry). When I'm rolling (come on, its freelining! :)) I try to keep my rod tip directed at the point of line entry, so the influence of the tip being soft or stiff is much reduced. I use braid, I feel the line, and point my rod tip at the point of (water) entry.

BTW.... fishing a waggler down the far side of a river you need a floating line. Ok on a pool you want it to sink through the surface layer, but on a river, where the current is usually most strong in the centre, you need a floating line that you can 'mend'..IMHO. Only the last few feet need to sink (including the bait :eek:)
ATVB
Terry

You're speaking to the converted here Terry, use braid 99% of the time, mostly on smaller rivers where I can use a stickfloat and centerpin. On stillwaers I fish close in to minimise drift.

£60?! You jammy bugger!

It was, has 'Trev' on the butt, and was gonna be his Dove rod, single leg guides, all cork, and as light as a feather. Bob the Rod at Fosters built it, seeing 'our' Bob is on a bit of a sabbatical might be worth, a thought. Checked the price and the 11' Torrix Blank alone is £140 and finished as said £238 :eek:

That was a bargain, but another good buy was a Shimano XTEA 5000 and a Stradic, both brand new, both for £55, he wanted £60, but knocked a fiver off as I took the two :rolleyes:

Rolllllin rod

A Dave Mason 10ft rod is a great rolling rod as it is so light, I have been on the lookout for a 10ft rod that will fit in my boot( so needs to be three piece at least) and have just put some cash down for a shimano beastmaster spinning rod as it looks to be the only one that fits in my boot.

If ( and it's a big if) it is up to the job for me and is fairly light the Dave Mason Andy Sliwa rod may be for sale

Considering a spinning rod opens up all sorts of possibilities, if being compact is a necessity. The game fishing tackle trade have embraced multi piece rods to the extent that it's now almost impossible to buy anything with less than 4 pieces, and very good they are too. Shakespeare do some great ones, check out their website.

Back