• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Rolling Rod

Terry Simner

Senior Member & Supporter
Best rod for rolling/freelining....with the option to pin a mega-waggler on... thoughts ???

PHP:
Best option for the first, in my opinion, would be a 1 1/4lb avon rod, carbon.Soft enough to cast light baits and stiff enough not to mask bites/takes, 11ft is my choice. Drennan or Daiwa are both good.
Can be used with a biggish waggler. A more float oriented rod would probably be a bit too soft in the tip for feeling takes.

I prefer 11ft rods for any application that involves holding the rod rather than sitting it on rods. The 11 and 12 ft Torrix's are very different rods, the 11ft'er's are built on much slimmer blanks.

For free lining. I use my Avon rods in 11ft. 1lb or 1 1/4 max. No need for anything heavier. Can control heavy wagglers whilst still having a sensitive tip. Also light enough to hold all day

Test curves can be very misleading - I've got 4 different rods which all have a test curve of 1.75, all very different and all used for different applications.

The 1.75 11ft Torrix isn't overkill for rolling meat.

Many thanks Joe (and all)...will have to have a 'chat' with Bob maybe.
ATVB
Terry

As soon as i read the title i thought 1.75lb torrix exactly as Joe, perfect for the job,very light with plenty enough power all the way through.

I use an 11ft / 1.75lb Torrix and agree with all the comments. I prefer the shorter rod for control (and I'm 6ft 8in) and a completely different beast to the 12ft 1.75lb Torrix.

I used to have an 11ft 1.5lb Seer Rod for rolling which was lovely but let me down when trying to control a very big barbel in the near side weed bed and was sold in a fit of pique in the weeks that followed!

I use an 11ft / 1.75lb Torrix and agree with all the comments. I prefer the shorter rod for control (and I'm 6ft 8in) and a completely different beast to the 12ft 1.75lb Torrix.

I used to have an 11ft 1.5lb Seer Rod for rolling which was lovely but let me down when trying to control a very big barbel in the near side weed bed and was sold in a fit of pique in the weeks that followed!

Love it :D That'll learn it....thanks for that Richard!

ATVB
Terry

If you are on a budget and cannot afford the 11ft 1.75lb torrix, J W Young did a ray walton rolling rod at 11ft.I have both and though i prefer the Harrison the youngs will do the job and was a very good price though i do not know if they are still available new.

The 11ft 1 3/4tc Fox Royal Barbel Rod is a great rod for the price, if you are looking for a reasonably priced 11ft rod. They are available at around £65.

Ok, I'm nearly there!!!! :) I'm not fussed about the budget as, except for my Drennan 13ft, all my rods have cost less than £70 each, so in 50yrs I've not spent much. But...
would I notice much difference between the Ray Walton rod and the Torrix? I don't want to throw an extra £150-200 at it just to know its 'hand made', signed etc.

Ok, I'm nearly there!!!! :) I'm not fussed about the budget as, except for my Drennan 13ft, all my rods have cost less than £70 each, so in 50yrs I've not spent much. But...
would I notice much difference between the Ray Walton rod and the Torrix? I don't want to throw an extra £150-200 at it just to know its 'hand made', signed etc.

I think you would Terry, don't want to ruffle any feathers but the RW is not up to the standard of the Torrix. You can pick up a hand made Torrix for £150 ish from Fosters, I have one and it is a pleasure to use, no frills, just a quality blank....would make a useful all rounder too

I have a MK 2 Drennan Tench, was wondering if that might fit the bill, also a few Avons, including a Daiwa which I never really considered for this method, but some on here do. Like the idea of using a big loafer.:)

The Torrix is definitely the much superior rod, but then you'd expect to be for around £150 more. Whether its worth the extra money is difficult to say - it's down to your budget and how much use its going to get.

I think you would Terry, don't want to ruffle any feathers but the RW is not up to the standard of the Torrix. You can pick up a hand made Torrix for £150 ish from Fosters, I have one and it is a pleasure to use, no frills, just a quality blank....would make a useful all rounder too

I have a MK 2 Drennan Tench, was wondering if that might fit the bill, also a few Avons, including a Daiwa which I never really considered for this method, but some on here do. Like the idea of using a big loafer.:)

If only Neil.

£238 from Fosters for a standard build.

Back