• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Rod storage

Edward Adcock

Senior Member & Supporter
I am looking for inspiration on how to store made up and bagged rods. I don't have a huge number but they are all over the place. Does having them vertical or horizontal make a difference? I don't have a garage but do have a fully enclosed lean to. I'm sure some of you have got this sorted so any photos would be much appreciated.

To avoid breakages, i keep all my rods in tubes, whether bagged or not. They take up more room but stop accidental damage. Recently i acquired at auction an umbrella stand which offers 4 rectangular compartments with a metal tray beneath. This is ideal for holding the rod tubes upright in my study. The stand was not a lot of money!

I've acquired 8 Korum Quivers (2, 3, and 5 rod) over the years and keep nearly all my rods in them. The rods are all 'made up' and ready to go, mostly complete with suitable landing pole & net, bank-sticks etc. May appear excessive, but it means I can have my gear sorted easily, from start to finish, and in the car, in less than 15 minutes.

Rod bags used to have loops on the end for hanging. Probably goes back to the days of split cane. If you have someone who could sew on the loops with something like half inch tape, there is one answer for you.

I think the safest solution is not to keep them made up if you haven’t the space in a secure hold all or quiver. I’ve got 4 made up, tucked away between 2 holdalls. The rest are in bags which are kept in hard plastic tubes. If your gonna hang them on racks keep them away from heat sources like garage lights etc.

Probably best store in some thing solid, or, a substantial thickness fabric, because if kept in a garage mice have a liking for cork.

Like John suggests, I had my wife sew loops onto the ends of the rod bags. I have screws along one side of my garage and hang the bags on them. As I don't use the garage for parking the car (who does ?) and do little DIY in it, the rods are fairly safe. Also, as I store unused bait and nets (mice love eating nets more than cork!) in the garage I have mouse traps permanently set. One thing that puzzles me is that some rod bags had a loop on the bottom so the rods hang tip downwards - surely this is wrong?

Thanks for the responses.

Finally had the time to undertake a long overdue tackle tidy up and sorting. Will say goodbye to a lot of it.

I have gone for these hooks from Screwfix for the made up rods.

A393565A-60AE-4671-A1F6-30A009CEBFAF.jpeg

I keep bait in tin trunks. Hungry rodents will chew through plastic eventually. I also have a mousehound but his performance needs reviewing as evidence has been discovered in the lean to indicating certain tasks have not been carried out to a satisfactory standard.

Like John suggests, I had my wife sew loops onto the ends of the rod bags. I have screws along one side of my garage and hang the bags on them. As I don't use the garage for parking the car (who does ?) and do little DIY in it, the rods are fairly safe. Also, as I store unused bait and nets (mice love eating nets more than cork!) in the garage I have mouse traps permanently set. One thing that puzzles me is that some rod bags had a loop on the bottom so the rods hang tip downwards - surely this is wrong?

The (split cane) rods were put in the bags tips down so when they were hung on the loops the tips were up and the bottoms were down. (no rude comments please!).

Go on you tube saltyscales fella name josh Taylor simple take you about 1hr works well put on ceiling in shed garage etc look for fishing rod storage American but good mate

Historically the correct way of storing rods was to put them in the bag what is now considered the wrong way. Starting with the butt section it went in joint first, then each section in order from bottom to top. With much finer tip sections in modern carbon fibre rods it would be risky to put the tip section in that way in case it got caught on the way in and snapped. Hence the loop on the closed end of the bag. Being an old duffer I still do it the way I was taught.

I can see an empty space on the rod rack looks like you will have to buy another one
Its an old photo Lee
I've run out of racks now 😆😆
Madness really and all I can do at the moment is sit and look at them. I've said a few times I lead a very dull life- work, eat, sleep, fish when I can
If I don't invest in gear there are 3 females in my household will invest in shoes, nails, tanning, bags etc...I have learnt the hard way.
At least I have something to barter when society eventually crumbles.

Its an old photo Lee
I've run out of racks now 😆😆
Madness really and all I can do at the moment is sit and look at them. I've said a few times I lead a very dull life- work, eat, sleep, fish when I can
If I don't invest in gear there are 3 females in my household will invest in shoes, nails, tanning, bags etc...I have learnt the hard way.
At least I have something to barter when society eventually crumbles.
I myself am a bit of a bore to some same as work eat sleep and fish but top trump you on 3 female's i have 4 so i know what you mean if i cant go fishing just buy more gear to look at lol but you do need a rod for every job contrary to many options 1 rod does not do multiple jobs

Back