• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Rod sleeve.

Well hats off to Angling Direct for trying, but it would seem most, if not all, 12' rod sleeves are designed for longer handled Carp rods. The guy took my rod inside and tried several sleeves they had in store, but none of the ones they had were suitable. I've even phoned Daiwa, and they haven't got anything suitable either. So back to the drawing board.

Last edited:
Well hats off to Angling Direct for trying, but it would seem most, if not all, 12' rod sleeves are designed for longer handled Carp rods. The guy took my rod inside and tried several sleeves they had in store, but none of the ones they had were suitable. I've even phoned Daiwa, and they haven't got anything suitable either. So back to the drawing board.
Simon have you tried Army Andy at The Tackle Box 01322 292400 or Facebook He make's custom luggage.

Simon have you tried Army Andy at The Tackle Box 01322 292400 or Facebook He make's custom luggage.
Not yet, but I do have a bag for my bedchair made by him. Good quality.

I’ve just bought two Greys rod sleeves off the bay. My holdall is a Greys and my rods fit in that, so hoping the sleeves are the same.

Are these any use

Attachments

• IMG_20210216_083714.jpg
    IMG_20210216_083714.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_20210216_083641.jpg
    IMG_20210216_083641.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 153
That's very kind Steve, and thank you, but I'm hoping the Greys ones I've purchased will be ok.

The distance from the end off the handle to the reel seat is 16" on my rods, and taking into account how much the reel sticks out the back, I think 16" needs to be in the middle of the reel pouch. I spoke with someone from Daiwa about this issue yesterday, and even they admitted it was a problem. The two sleeves I purchased with my rods were Daiwa ones, and the reel pouch was too far from the end of the sleeve.

Maybe all Barbel rod handles are shorter than Carp rods ??

That's very kind Steve, and thank you, but I'm hoping the Greys ones I've purchased will be ok.

The distance from the end off the handle to the reel seat is 16" on my rods, and taking into account how much the reel sticks out the back, I think 16" needs to be in the middle of the reel pouch. I spoke with someone from Daiwa about this issue yesterday, and even they admitted it was a problem. The two sleeves I purchased with my rods were Daiwa ones, and the reel pouch was too far from the end of the sleeve.

Maybe all Barbel rod handles are shorter than Carp rods ??
For some reason Simon carp anglers need at least six inches sticking beyond the elbow, total waste I’d rather have in front of me than behind! Many (many) years ago when I would call myself a carp angler I read an article by a guy called Leslie Moncrieff who was the then UK Surf Casting champion and he advocated handles no longer than the width of your shoulders. This would allow full compression of the rod and allow the butt end to be pulled thru’ without catching on clothing etc. I did a bit of casting in those days and put it to the test and it worked for me. My 80’s carp rods only had 24” (total) handles and I was regarded as a bit “odd” when people saw them but on my lakes I could cast as far with my 2lb TC Conoflex’s as others with longer handled rods. Anyway you’re right, Barbel rods tend to have shorter handles than carp rods but of course most things are made for that market these days.

For some reason Simon carp anglers need at least six inches sticking beyond the elbow, total waste I’d rather have in front of me than behind! Many (many) years ago when I would call myself a carp angler I read an article by a guy called Leslie Moncrieff who was the then UK Surf Casting champion and he advocated handles no longer than the width of your shoulders. This would allow full compression of the rod and allow the butt end to be pulled thru’ without catching on clothing etc. I did a bit of casting in those days and put it to the test and it worked for me. My 80’s carp rods only had 24” (total) handles and I was regarded as a bit “odd” when people saw them but on my lakes I could cast as far with my 2lb TC Conoflex’s as others with longer handled rods. Anyway you’re right, Barbel rods tend to have shorter handles than carp rods but of course most things are made for that market these days.

Yep, totally agree Bill. Back in my match fishing days I always found Shakespeare rods had a handle that was too long and cut a few of inches off them. My preference is a hands length past my elbow for handle length.

Back