• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Rod sleeve.

Simon Archer

Senior Member & Supporter
I bought two Daiwa rod sleeves to go with my new rods, but the handle on the Basias is quite short and with the reel fitted they wont fit in the sleeve properly. The distance from the bottom of the handle to the reel is different (Shorter) to the distance from the bottom of the sleeve to the reel pouch. My Spod rod fits in perfectly. I'd imagine the sleeves are better suited to Carp rods.

The bottom of the Basia handle to reel seat is 16 inches. The bottom of the spod rod handle to reel seat is 23 inches.

Anyone point me in the right direction of a sleeve that would be better suited to the Basias ??

Thanks.

Hi Simon
had the same issue with my infinity rods, ended up putting them in thinking anglers rod sleeves although not fully enclosed are adjustable to fit

Mine are stored in a full length holdall. Individual sleeves are just more luggage to be throwing around
I use the Korum folding holdall for my 2.75’s it swallows absolutely everything for a Trent overnighter and keeps rods and reels well protected. I’m really impressed with their folding stuff. I’ve bought all 4 items in the range it’s that good.

Couldn’t honestly think of a system to do a better job for long overnight sessions.
I can get a :
full shelter with over rap, groundsheet and pegs
spod rod and reel,
two barbel rods and 6000 size reels
compact tripod
Two storm poles
36 triangle net and net pole
ALL IN THAT ONE BAG. 😎 it’s awesome. No extra sleeves required. Rods are exceptionally well protected, separated and padded.

Attachments

• 218894F2-FA66-4465-ACF6-18F481ADCEF8.png
    218894F2-FA66-4465-ACF6-18F481ADCEF8.png
    792.3 KB · Views: 267
  • 173744F6-BB3B-42C3-95F8-C9E2C323E5AC.png
    173744F6-BB3B-42C3-95F8-C9E2C323E5AC.png
    673.7 KB · Views: 268
  • A6E9465C-1BD6-4972-9448-2AEC572C80D5.png
    A6E9465C-1BD6-4972-9448-2AEC572C80D5.png
    780.7 KB · Views: 285
Thanks guys.

I've got an holdall that I take on the bank with me, it's got my other two 12' rods in ok with my tripod, banksticks, brolly and landing net and handle. I'd probably just swap the rods over when I go, it's more storage whilst in the garage and if I just chuck one in the car as an extra rod. They fit in the Spomb sleeve ok, but would rather have a dedicated sleeve, or at a push, another 2 rod holdall/sleeve.

Last edited:
Mine are stored in a full length holdall. Individual sleeves are just more luggage to be throwing around
I use the Korum folding holdall for my 2.75’s it swallows absolutely everything for a Trent overnighter and keeps rods and reels well protected. I’m really impressed with their folding stuff. I’ve bought all 4 items in the range it’s that good.

This one Richard ??

This one Richard ??
Yeah that’s it. I don’t use it often as it’s my “long session” holdall and too big for a quick few hours but it’s perfect for the basias and tidal Trent gear
This video shows the range from the beginning of last year. I’ve bought all 4 of them and I’m seriously impressed by it. Great concept.

Couldn’t honestly think of a system to do a better job for long overnight sessions.
I can get a :
full shelter with over rap, groundsheet and pegs
spod rod and reel,
two barbel rods and 6000 size reels
compact tripod
Two storm poles
36 triangle net and net pole
ALL IN THAT ONE BAG. 😎 it’s awesome. No extra sleeves required. Rods are exceptionally well protected, separated and padded.

And doubles as a onesie when it gets cold? 😁

Looks like a great bit of kit though.

I was given a Greys 3-piece barbel rod and found the Greys Prodigy rod sleave fitted it perfectly with a Shimano 4000oc baitrunner strapped on.

Greys do others for double rods and two piece 12' rods.

Very impressed with the quality of mine. I will check the length of my rod butt to reel fitting later, but it is quite short.

My holdall is a Greys Prodigy, as are my other rods, and I really rate it. The new rods will fit in it. I'd just like a sleeve/s to keep them in when not in use.

Greys Prodigy rod sleeve - my distance from reel butt to winch fitting is 16.5" and distance to reel stem 18.5". There is about 2" of movement allowed either way with my Shimano 4000oc, so that should cope with most "non-distance" type rods.

Greys Prodigy rod sleeve - my distance from reel butt to winch fitting is 16.5" and distance to reel stem 18.5". There is about 2" of movement allowed either way with my Shimano 4000oc, so that should cope with most "non-distance" type rods.

Thanks Steve. 👍

What's a AD store? Wasnt aware you could currently visit stores that have fishing gear.

What's a AD store? Wasnt aware you could currently visit stores that have fishing gear.

Click and collect.

But they'll take the sleeves back and give me a refund, I've spoken to them over the phone and they're happy to do that. I have to stay outside. I'll ask them to try my rod in any sleeve they might have in store, if they won't do that, that's fine.

Of course, silly me.

Last edited:
While we are on the subject, asked the wife if she could knock up some quality cloth rod bags, in the move I somehow threw out some quality bags, including Harrison's. As an extra touch they could be personalised....was thinking your rods?

Back