• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Roaming chair

David Craine

Senior Member & Supporter
Hi peoples..

For 2020 I am thinking about doing more "roaming" than I have done in the past, a lighter approach entireley, so what I am looking for is a suitable and reliable seat , fairly light, and a bit smaller than a standard type seat, I presently use an ageing Chub Chair, maybe 15 years old or more,its quite bulky and weighty so it needs to be smaller than the one in the pic below.

IMG_2406.jpg

. I would like something that is not too bulky, and folds easily without having to bother with extending legs etc. I am OK at attaching my own straps etc, so it does not have to be one of the branded "fishing" seats .
I considered a Shakespear seat with rucksack attached, but it seems a bit flimsy, and also a bit on the small side. I would like a backrest built into the folding chair, if it comes with an attached bag it would be OK, but not a must have .
I am 14st 8lbs so obvioulsy something that will support that weight is the thing I am looking out for .

Any suggestions at all ?

David.

I recommend trying before buying David so if there is an Angling Direct or similar near you use it. A JRC Stealth X-Lite Chair was sold on here yesterday and they are light and robust - but I'm only 70kg. I have used sacks, unhooking mats, and just a good pair of waterproofs in the past but my knees can't take it anymore. Comfort is key these days. I can set up and pack up in less than a minute. Travelling light and roaming is my preferred way of fishing rivers. For me finding the fish is part of the fun and with the river in a constant state of change the fish don't seem to stay long in one place.

David,
I have had the JRC X-lite for several years and it has been very reliable. I think they have stopped making it.
I recently purchased the Korum Aeronium supa-elite, at 2.3kg it is even lighter than the little Shakespeare folding chair you mentioned.
Being so light it is dead easy to strap to my rucksack with a bungy elastic.
It is well made, very comfortable and can be used without extending the legs.
Personally, I like to sit quite high (70+ so not as agile as I used to be) and the new chair with legs fully extended is considerably lower than the JRC.
So I would definitely advise you try before you buy.
Mike

A few ideas there , I have a bank cushion that I use in the summer occasionally, but a chair for the winter is prefferrable , like the idea above Dave 👍

David

It really depends on how mobile you want to be Dave.
Generally speaking the lighter you go the further you reduce comfort.
from researching this myself a while ago it seems to be that 3kg or under is the magic weight for a good low travel chair or 4.5kg for a light weight Recliner (the way I went in the end) Korum have got the super light chair that’s just over 2kg but to get it there they have made some sacrifices that I personally don’t like. The mud feet are tiny, the leg extension is too short and there is no padding for ones behind.
I tried NGTs version to save a quid or two and that wasn’t a good move as it needed modding after the retractable leg system failed to stay locked. the popular ones seem to be the jrc xlite and fox duolite. Both 3kg and fitted with good feet and reasonable comfort.

I went for the prestige aluminium recliner at 4kg a little heavier but very nice padding for comfort and a little more room.
used it a couple times now and she’s a cracker. It’s very mobile when strapped to my bag

Attachments

• 8A94A09C-8FB4-4F79-8CC9-7E024572A1AA.jpeg
    8A94A09C-8FB4-4F79-8CC9-7E024572A1AA.jpeg
    243.5 KB · Views: 494
  • 547E2596-E607-46F4-9314-B6D2538C18CB.jpeg
    547E2596-E607-46F4-9314-B6D2538C18CB.jpeg
    214.3 KB · Views: 727
To be honest Richard , if your photo is your “ roaming” setup, I would call that a long stay session setup. In fact its almost identical to my setup that I have been using for about ten years for “sit and stay “sessions .

I am talking about one rod, one rest, one landing net, and a small bag of bits and bait. And a suitable compact seat if I can find one . In fact the above is what I use on the Wye for roaming, with a bank cushion .Minimalist , lightweight ,very portable, and good for tight swims .

David

David, when I roam I don't usually bother with a chair, if its only 15 mins a swim no need, hold the rod too, great way to cover the water.

To be honest Richard , if your photo is your “ roaming” setup, I would call that a long stay session setup. In fact its almost identical to my setup that I have been using for about ten years for “sit and stay “sessions .

I am talking about one rod, one rest, one landing net, and a small bag of bits and bait. And a suitable compact seat if I can find one . In fact the above is what I use on the Wye for roaming, with a bank cushion .Minimalist , lightweight ,very portable, and good for tight swims .

David
I can cover a vast amount of swims with that, one rod and a few items in the bag.
doesn’t take long to pick it up and pop to the next swim. I’m probably more mobile than a lot of people with everything on my shoulders. I’ve found it’s less mobile to be carry a smaller bag with separate items like matts bait buckets and chairs etc under your arms. I’ll be at the next swim before most “light travel” anglers 😉

Quiver with two bank sticks, landing net and handle, rod, and brolly weigh 10 lb.

The brolly is 4:08 lb so not the lightest but I don't always take it.

Chair is 6 lb.

Rucksack with bait, tucker, and terminal tackle, etc., is 5 lb.

So I am carrying up to 22lbs/10kg/4 to 5 good chub/2 good barbel. It's spread over the back and across the shoulders and I don't feel it.

A few ideas there , I have a bank cushion that I use in the summer occasionally, but a chair for the winter is prefferrable , like the idea above Dave 👍

David
There's a couple like the Go-Outdoors one about, some with more padding, and with storage space at rear of back-rest. The best though (IMO) is/was the Shimano Bum-Buddy. They're no longer made but do still appear on eBay every now and again.

Most rivers I fish have a fairly moderate to steep bank, ideally you will need one with at least telescopic front legs etc. I cant fault my JRC x lite, had it 7 years now and its had so much hammer I cant believe it's still tip top. The new Korum aeronium? Looks good too.

I do a lot of roaming and two things are really important to me. Firstly, the overall weight of my gear and secondly the ability to ‘pick up’ and move ‘settle’ and cast in the next swim, needs to be hassle free.
I carry the rod, landing net, rest/bank stick and waterproofed bottomed canvass bait/bits bag. I use either a small 20/25 ltr day sack/back pack or my 20 ltr Drennan roving bag.
I have two lightweight chairs, a Chub and a really light Lafuma! (see pics).

Attachments

• IMG_20200126_140822.jpg
    IMG_20200126_140822.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 388
  • IMG_20200126_140731.jpg
    IMG_20200126_140731.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 375
The JRC Stealth X-lite chair is a good choice for the roving angler; it's light and has a carrying strap and adjustable legs. Combined with a Fox tackle belt and an ammo pouch for bait, it's all one needs. The rod, landing net handle and bank sticks are held together with a velcro strap. It's a good summer set up.

Upwardly, presumably? :)
Yeah. I’ve been a fan of that set up for mobile angling ever since I got my first Korum ruckbag years ago.

The flat open style bag that connects to a chair is by a clear mile the best way to be mobile and be prepared. No other system I’ve used beats it imo.

your working directly out the bag so everything stays inside and everything is to hand. So no packing away for a start.

I’ve done the whole tackle in my pockets, small bags and pouches etc and despite the fact I’ve decreased the actual size and weight I believe it’s a far less mobile approach because of the awkwardness of carrying single items.

gone are the days where I’m carrying a mat under one arm a chair under another, a loaf of bread in the hand a rod a net in the other hand and a load of hooks and leads stuffed in my pockets.

in my case I can now just close the bag already containing everything, throw the chair on the back and pick up the rod and net. and I’m moving.
if I want to take a short extending bankstick that also fits in the bag
Best thing is I’m more mobile than Ever before and I’m now also carrying some luxury items like lunch and 1ltr of coffee.
everyone’s needs and desires are different and I appreciate that but I’d run rings round some of the so called mobile set ups I’ve seen where guys are carrying half as much but taking twice as long to juggle it from swim to swim

JRC X Lite for me too. I carry my rod rest, unhooking mat and landing net head inside the folded chair. Pole and rod(s) in velcro rod band. End tackle and floats in waistcoat pocket. Bait in a carrier bag or occasionally in the chair too.

Back