• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Roach

Hi Steve. None at all, Stripey would have been welcome.

Another great day yesterday with upwards to 100 roach mainly between 8 and 12 oz and a dozen over the 1lb. one mini perch and a couple of twanged carpus.

Knackered.

Not huge, only 1lb in fact but such a beauty!
1001007.jpg

Not as pretty as the fish above but i fancied a break from the barbel on monday to target roach and rudd. It was hard going, but on my last cast as light fell, i managed to snare this lovely 1lb 15oz roach. Made the midge bites worthwhile :)

Attachments

• IMG_1574.jpg
    IMG_1574.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 220
Hi all,

I dont consider myself a roach angler by any means, but i have started targeting them again recently. Ive had fish to 2lbs in the past, but am looking to get into some more good quality fish. I lost a beast last night whilst fishing flake and mashed bread on the tip on a size 10 kamasan B983, which whilst being fine in the wire, might have been too big a hook and possibly not the best pattern. I just wondered what hooks others use for roach when fishing flake and mashed bread.

cheers

Paul

Hi all,

I dont consider myself a roach angler by any means, but i have started targeting them again recently. Ive had fish to 2lbs in the past, but am looking to get into some more good quality fish. I lost a beast last night whilst fishing flake and mashed bread on the tip on a size 10 kamasan B983, which whilst being fine in the wire, might have been too big a hook and possibly not the best pattern. I just wondered what hooks others use for roach when fishing flake and mashed bread.

cheers

Paul

Drennan Sedge mate ;)

Cheers Si,

Will see if i can get hold of some sedge hooks online as i cant get them locally.

Back down the river tonight with some B911s, as that is all i could get yesterday, will see how they perform. :)

Paul

The brown trout and signal crayfish really love the B911s.:rolleyes:

Had a couple of redfins to just over a 1lb, but not many roach about last night.:(

Paul

Nice way to fish for em Steve, havent trotted a float for roach for about 30 years. I'm fishing in around 18" - 36" of water on the upper bristol avon, so i find it easier to fish the tip, but having fished for barbel for so long, i keep expecting a three foot twitch and it just doesnt happen. ;)

Stuart,

That is the area i'm concentrating on at the moment, one or two evenings after work. Just waiting for the big 2s to show up. Also upstream of 'the well' shortly i hope and have been searching up nr pinkney as well. Dont know the area really, just finding my feet and have two fishing buddies in the town. If you know of some worthwhile areas, i'd be pleased to hear. How many beers must i owe you know. ;)

atb

Paul

I fished the 'other' Avon in error, at Malmsebury last winter, just up from the supermarket. Had a few 'nuisance' trout and a couple of sparkling roach, but only about a pound or so. River was running coloured with good flow.
Fished mostly bread (flake & crust) with mash, the crays became a major pain in the arse. So as I was tipping, possibly trotting is the best option up there.

Chris, some v v good redfins in there, but also lots of crays and trout. Find it too shallow and slow to trot most of the time, so happier on the tip. The roach can feed throughout the day, but the trout have hogged the action until after dark on the last 2 trips. I'm being optimistic after losing a beast last tuesday night. :) Thanks for sharing info mate.

Paul, there's some nice ooks in the Gamakatsu range that are very sharp, fine in the wire but very strong. They seem to be aimed at the Matchfishing fraternity but I have been very impressed with them. Worth a look I'd say. What Simon says about Sedges is also true. They are a great hook for roach.

Back