• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River tripod

I have two Shakespeare salt tripods , a well used quite old one used mainly for seafishing and another one that I used a flat allow bar for bight alarms on the tidal trent,some might moan about the colour but both have been pretty indestructable.

Alex I'm the least person who would worries over colour Red black Blue the fish aren't bothered at least with a vivid colour it's harder to loose

I have a friend who was an England pair champion fish in the carp worl cup a certain celebrity angler said to him why are you using red silicone on your right his reply was I'm fishing 15 foot zigs what carp is going to see it the response was it doesn't look professional he just laughed and come back with I'll catch more fish than you

And he did

The Parker Angling TBR2 is on sale on eBay (identical to the Trafford one but more expensive. The original was sub £30).

The latter is a great lightweight tripod for banks where you can push the spikes into. I've used it for barbel and zander fishing and as long as you have your spikes shoved into the ground and baitrunners set correctly it will do the job. Get it wrong (I did) and the whole shabang got dragged into the Trent. Thankfully, nothing was lost in the end. It does have a hook underneath from which to hang weights (presumably to improve stability when on solid ground) but on that occasion I hadn't taken that step.

IMO it is somewhat let down by the plastic screw parts which wear out over time. Arguably, the cups are also best fitted so that they rest on the ground to stop any rotation during use when employing alarms.

I have 2 pods The Korum mk2 ..... (the mk 1 is rubbish dont buy one )) and the Prologic Sky pod
the Prologic Sky pod is very very solid robust and versatile it can be assembled like a conventional low pod too has lots of bits that take time to put together and take apart fairly heavy
The Korum Mk2 river pod is much lighter much quicker to assemble almost instant in comparison

I tend to use it 90% of the time unless I know Im going to be in a peg for a couple of days BOTH PODS I always peg the back leg with a bivvy peg this make it far more solid and impossible for them to tip over anyone not taking this simple step is a nutter lol

classic example fishing 2 rods on the tidal with the Korum on a bend with lots of bushes my pal was upstream heard him shouting my name thinking the worst I ran to him only for him to shout about a boat that just took his lines out I ran back to see both my rods bent double bait runners screaming and a narrow boat tight to my bank towing my lines yet my pegged down Korum was solid thank god Or I would have lost both rods Im sure
but agree my Avid Lok down Storm poles are a joy to use ...........(best storm poles on the market IMHO)

Thanks gerry for that best feed back as you have and use both seems the korum is the best option for me as an of the shelf product

I’ve had a JRC Extreme TX pod for a few seasons. Fully adjustable legs in any direction, adjustable main body length, zero twist. It’s an absolutely rock solid piece of kit.

Downside is it isn’t light so you wouldn‘t want to carry it any sort of distance! I do use single sticks and Korum screw in butt cups as well, depending on the situation.

I have 2 pods The Korum mk2 ..... (the mk 1 is rubbish dont buy one )) and the Prologic Sky pod
the Prologic Sky pod is very very solid robust and versatile it can be assembled like a conventional low pod too has lots of bits that take time to put together and take apart fairly heavy
The Korum Mk2 river pod is much lighter much quicker to assemble almost instant in comparison

I tend to use it 90% of the time unless I know Im going to be in a peg for a couple of days BOTH PODS I always peg the back leg with a bivvy peg this make it far more solid and impossible for them to tip over anyone not taking this simple step is a nutter lol

classic example fishing 2 rods on the tidal with the Korum on a bend with lots of bushes my pal was upstream heard him shouting my name thinking the worst I ran to him only for him to shout about a boat that just took his lines out I ran back to see both my rods bent double bait runners screaming and a narrow boat tight to my bank towing my lines yet my pegged down Korum was solid thank god Or I would have lost both rods Im sure
but agree my Avid Lok down Storm poles are a joy to use ...........(best storm poles on the market IMHO)
Hi All
When fishing on concrete / hard ground what do you use for rod support. If tripods how do you stop it tipping over?
Regards Wayne

Hi All
When fishing on concrete / hard ground what do you use for rod support. If tripods how do you stop it tipping over?
Regards Wayne
Hi All
Also as I have a fox black label compact pod, could I just use it with storm poles? If so do the fox storm poles fit or can someone suggest an alternative? Or basic modification?
Regards Wayne

Same as Alex and Derek. Shakespeare Salt tripod is light, strong and stable. I drilled the top bar and fitted quick change adapters so I can mount proper rod rest heads or alarms.

Yes Lee less chance of falling into blue alloy at silly o'clock in the morning , works on the Humber bank behind the wall ,its not all mud round here Clive , (although the neoprene whellys stop the worse of the slop), and they don't cost the earth either, good second hand buy in summer when the shell suited codfishers are a bit skint .

I might get chance to use the Shakespeare tripod for its intended purpose - saltwater fishing. I'll have to tweak my Wallis Cast though to reach those 'Umber cod.

Good old Wallis, tried and failed, sticking with Nottingham style , although all you Saltist beware of NGT copyists.

I also have a converted photographic tripod that is lighter and smaller than the Shakespeare Salt one, but is far more versatile. It can be set up on virtually any terrain.

Benbo Rod Pod 1.jpg

Benbo Rod Pod 3.jpg

Attachments

• Benbo Rod Pod 2.jpg
    Benbo Rod Pod 2.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 113
Back