• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River tripod

Lee White

Hi guys what tripod do you recommend for the rivers the only one I seem to find is the korum one

Or do don't you even use one

I'm looking to get a new one as I'm using a beach one at the moment problem is there not small

1648170528511.png

Pro logic sky pod, sturdier than the Korum offerings BUT not for the rover !

Lee, 95% of mt Trent fishing is with sticks. If its a grass bank its a 36"adjustable cygnet storm pole, eith a screw in korum butt cap.
I had thought about this spoke to Keith from defiant mps and he said that's what he uses storm poles and he makes pods for a living😂

Dave not sure on that one it has fixed length legs and looks a little complicated to set up but thanks for the help

Definitely the Prologic sky pod, it's a rock solid bit of kit. It doesn't take that long to setup and the legs are adjustable in both length and angle. It even comes with an extra set of short legs so you can use it horizontal ie. carp style

I had thought about this spoke to Keith from defiant mps and he said that's what he uses storm poles and he makes pods for a living😂

I've got one of Keith's titanium river pods, quite a basic principle but solid in use and very light to carry around. Since the following pic was taken, I have invested in a pair of the titanium storm poles to complement the pod (replace the black poles shown), not cheap!! 😳 but should last a lifetime and can use those as single sticks if needs be :)

I've got one of Keith's titanium river pods, quite a basic principle but solid in use and very light to carry around. Since the following pic was taken, I have invested in a pair of the titanium storm poles to complement the pod (replace the black poles shown), not cheap!! 😳 but should last a lifetime and can use those as single sticks if needs be :)

That’s smart rob. What adjustment have you got at those two knuckle joints for the front legs. Can you change the angles

Rob on the pic here, can this circled item be bought separately?
What’s the outside diameter of the pole shown
Cheers
52E5AE34-FB00-446E-9AEB-BD2632BBBEC2.jpeg

I knew he did one the sneak I'll have to bend his ear I dopted have one his titanium fantail and some of his early mag heads

@Richard Isaacs Rich, he did sell me the bit you circled separately, I have rarely used it to be honest but if the pod is used with short rear legs attached to that it can bolster the stability of the whole thing. Keith made it in a way where if he attached short legs to all four fittings he could use it as a traditional low slung pod as well as in the upright position. I'll have to measure the diameter of the main bar and let you know, but i'd say it's standard bankstick thickness, so about 12mm? But I'll check. The ball joints do move but don't lock in place, so you can have various splay angles on the legs, but they don't lock off if that makes sense? Issue to some I imagine, I find it perfectly fine in use and the weight and speed of set up works for me. Very rare I use a pod...

@Lee White he seems to drift in and out of making various stuff. I haven't seen the river pod listed for a while. I have a titanium panther pod also, it's an absolutely gorgeous piece of kit 🥰 Plus the indicators, snag ears etc etc bit of a fan of his stuff you might say!! 🤣

@Richard Isaacs Rich, he did sell me the bit you circled separately, I have rarely used it to be honest but if the pod is used with short rear legs attached to that it can bolster the stability of the whole thing. Keith made it in a way where if he attached short legs to all four fittings he could use it as a traditional low slung pod as well as in the upright position. I'll have to measure the diameter of the main bar and let you know, but i'd say it's standard bankstick thickness, so about 12mm? But I'll check. The ball joints do move but don't lock in place, so you can have various splay angles on the legs, but they don't lock off if that makes sense? Issue to some I imagine, I find it perfectly fine in use and the weight and speed of set up works for me. Very rare I use a pod...

@Lee White he seems to drift in and out of making various stuff. I haven't seen the river pod listed for a while. I have a titanium panther pod also, it's an absolutely gorgeous piece of kit 🥰 Plus the indicators, snag ears etc etc bit of a fan of his stuff you might say!! 🤣

Who made it rob please mate. (company) I might have to drop them a line as I could just do with that piece if it would fit round my storm pole.

Who made it rob please mate. (company) I might have to drop them a line as I could just do with that piece if it would fit round my storm pole.
Rich as rob said defiant mps he is a one man band who makes some serious bits of kit and is copied by alot of the mainstream companies he normally has a 6 month waiting list and only use high end materials he won't copy anyone elses products

Hi Lee, i also use a beach tripod, ( Shakespear Salt ), but it compacts down very well unlike a lot of others. Its very light, has 2 extra adjustable stabalising legs, and has its own carry bag with strap, excellent in even very strong winds. ( ive been fishing perch rock at New Brighton ).

salt-beach-rest-hi-res.jpg

That doesn't look as bad as mine I'm using an Ian golds supermatch the rests are wider than mine

It is stable has the bracing bars but it's a minimum of about 5 foot tall

Back