• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River Teme thriving

Hi men,

Sort of Jason , but when i say bits barren , i mean long stretches that are more than capable of supporting regular pods of barbel , not what im hearing .

Hatter

They could also be small groups of male barbel that arrive in the spawning areas weeks before the females arrive, but as the small males jostle each other they can give the impression of spawning, whilst there will always be barbel in the Teme, there are vast areas that are barbel less these days, what you are seeing is a small group of barbel from a big area, I am in contact with guys that walk the banks on a weekly and sometimes daily basis and without a doubt the common consensus is that once again barbel number are in severe decline on the Teme, you cant count barbel below Powick weir as these are without doubt Severn fish, dont get me wrong nothing would please me more to see barbel numbers on the Teme recovering, I have been and still are a Teme barbel man in my heart, but the Teme as a river for barbel, Chub, Roach, Perch, Bream and the occasional wild Carp is in a dire situation.

The Teme was my annual fishing holiday destination for over ten years and provided me with my best angling experiences. Hence, I would love to see it come back to even half it's former glory.

The question that crosses my mind is, have there been any re-stocking programmes or are there any planned? Granted i am not a local but i have not heard of any. Is there a reason the EA do not want to undertake any? Or is that too simplistic an approach which has been proven not to work.

Interested in peoples thoughts.

Thanks

Stuart

They could also be small groups of male barbel that arrive in the spawning areas weeks before the females arrive, but as the small males jostle each other they can give the impression of spawning, whilst there will always be barbel in the Teme, there are vast areas that are barbel less these days, what you are seeing is a small group of barbel from a big area, I am in contact with guys that walk the banks on a weekly and sometimes daily basis and without a doubt the common consensus is that once again barbel number are in severe decline on the Teme, you cant count barbel below Powick weir as these are without doubt Severn fish, dont get me wrong nothing would please me more to see barbel numbers on the Teme recovering, I have been and still are a Teme barbel man in my heart, but the Teme as a river for barbel, Chub, Roach, Perch, Bream and the occasional wild Carp is in a dire situation.

So why was there such a strong campaign to save Powick weir when removing it would have helped coarse fish stocks much further up the river?

The Teme was my annual fishing holiday destination for over ten years and provided me with my best angling experiences. Hence, I would love to see it come back to even half it's former glory.

The question that crosses my mind is, have there been any re-stocking programmes or are there any planned? Granted i am not a local but i have not heard of any. Is there a reason the EA do not want to undertake any? Or is that too simplistic an approach which has been proven not to work.

Thanks

Stuart
I don't think restocking would be the answer, certainly not medium term, the Teme is fed by the Severn as far as Barbel are concerned is was the migratory River for spawning, So I would thing making good the access to the spawning gravels would be a priority. There is as you are probably aware millions of pounds being sunk into the Shad problem and with these efforts it might also benefit the Barbel as far as removing old weirs etc.

Personally I am not overly keen on the thought that the Teme should be stocked at all, it has all the right ingredients to be a great angling River again, we just need to learn from our mistakes with not killing the Goose that lays the golden egg.

We do need to manage the Teme with conservation uppermost, whether that will happen as primarily it is a Coarse fished river, not a money spinning Game venue, I am not sure, one thing I do know that opinions are very split as to why the demise, and now how to improve this unique River.

Just another silly-season wind-up. A 'fabulous' report (as in fable)

Thanks

Stuart
It's an SSRI for one, and those in the know may think stocking fingerling barbel would just be fodder for the otters.

So why was there such a strong campaign to save Powick weir when removing it would have helped coarse fish stocks much further up the river?

Because the weir has never restricted Barbel movements, the river became a top 5 barbel river in the country with the weir firmly in its place, barbel arent going up the Teme as they once did from the Severn, because barbel numbers are are much lower and continuing to fall on the lower severn and the river Severn as a whole, one thing that fuels the colonisation instincts of the barbel and to continually push upstream and into tributaries is barbel behind barbel......thats why the river Luggs barbel numbers are down, the Teme, the Kennet, the Cherwell, the Dove, the Derwent etc. barbel populations are in crisis on most rivers where they were once strong and stable, so the first thing you notice are the tributaries decline in barbel populations, they show a significant reduction quickly, I have been going on for nearly 10 years about perilous state of the Temes barbel population and warned of its imminent collapse, well here we are, the Temes barbel population has collapsed.

Thanks for your reply's Neil and Terry.

I'll have a read up on the Shad projects.

Terry, I didn't want to mention the O word but I thought that might be a reason for not re-stocking. Why does it being a SSSI mean it can't be stocked? Is it because the barbel are deemed to be a non-native species?

Regards

Stuart

Because the weir has never restricted Barbel movements, the river became a top 5 barbel river in the country with the weir firmly in its place, barbel arent going up the Teme as they once did from the Severn, because barbel numbers are are much lower and continuing to fall on the lower severn and the river Severn as a whole, one thing that fuels the colonisation instincts of the barbel and to continually push upstream and into tributaries is barbel behind barbel......thats why the river Luggs barbel numbers are down, the Teme, the Kennet, the Cherwell, the Dove, the Derwent etc. barbel populations are in crisis on most rivers where they were once strong and stable, so the first thing you notice are the tributaries decline in barbel populations, they show a significant reduction quickly, I have been going on for nearly 10 years about perilous state of the Temes barbel population and warned of its imminent collapse, well here we are, the Temes barbel population has collapsed.

I do know the area a bit but I'm not local or an expert. What I reckon though is if the Teme was opened by having impoundments removed it would improve both the Severn and the Teme.

Between Diglis and Tewksbury there is little in the way of tributaries and spawning sites for barbel to migrate to other than the Teme so it would make sense to fully open that up? I know they do go above Powick weir but that's only when levels and flow allows and does not necessary coincide when the barbel want to migrate. I'm aware if the weir had been fully removed it would have drastically changed the fisheries above, probably making them none viable as coarse fisheries for a number of years, which I presume is the reason the agreement was made for only partial removal?

I do know the area a bit but I'm not local or an expert. What I reckon though is if the Teme was opened by having impoundments removed it would improve both the Severn and the Teme.

Between Diglis and Tewksbury there is little in the way of tributaries and spawning sites for barbel to migrate to other than the Teme so it would make sense to fully open that up? I know they do go above Powick weir but that's only when levels and flow allows and does not necessary coincide when the barbel want to migrate. I'm aware if the weir had been fully removed it would have drastically changed the fisheries above, probably making them none viable as coarse fisheries for a number of years, which I presume is the reason the agreement was made for only partial removal?
The weir at Powick never stopped the progress of barbel upstream, and I've seen no definitive evidence that it is that weir that's impeding the movement of shad. Many times I've visited both the weir at Powick and the weir at Eardiston in the same day..and the latter is (most frequently) is far the bigger obstruction to fish movement. The most scary thing about removing Powick weir was the (potential) effect on the river level of the Lower Middle Teme e.g. Bransford - Cotheridge.
Stuart ... re. SSRI. I'm far from being an expert on the machinations of the SSRI aficionados, but I do know they are against, or very wary of, change. Any re-stocking might be seen as 'unnatural, and a very strong case would have to be made for it (IMHO).
N.B.. Bransford used to be the jewel of Barbel Society's waters. They've now got rid of it. Says it all (IMHO)

I would think that before the weirs were built the Teme did pretty well for itself as far as migration, the fact is we don't need weirs on the Teme, they really serve no purpose, except for looking rather pretty. Given this is a priority with Severn Rivers Trust EA and the like to remove these obstacles, are we really serving Angling well in opposing this?

If the weir had been removed it would have destroyed the river up stream of the weir as coarse fisheries, due to increased velocity in times of flood, bank erosion, tree loss and between 500mm and 900mm of river depth up to Bransford weir. But Jason, remember the Severn and the Teme had wonderful barbel populations in the past with all the weirs in place, barbel and other species just wait for the rains to come and swim over them.

Jeff - are you suggesting that Terry's 'hated', like Plato? Has 'fake news' finally permeated BFW? I think we should be told.

Jeff - are you suggesting that Terry's 'hated', like Plato? Has 'fake news' finally permeated BFW? I think we should be told.

Richard.....with the greatest of respect to your reply on this thread. A friend videod a group of barbel on the middle teme. I tried to post but it wouldn't upload. Therefore I took a still of this. Initial posts were positive to this, then I seem to be the the butt of a joke between certain members on here. I choose to ignore this bullying and belittling behaviour. There are those who have posted on here saying that the barbel in the Teme are no longer....nothing further could be from the truth. Have they got wise to the loud mouth approach and heavy foot of the summer angler?.....Yes.
To that end....this season whenever I fish the Severn or the Teme I will post a picture of the fish with as current as a copy of the anglers crimes or dangers mail as possible. I may even surround my unhooking mat (always better than field stubble) with some balsam.

I pity those who are too quick to post negativity that fish aren't caught often....for example Mr Breakspeare catches quite regularly.......but no one questions him as he posts a full picture of him and the fish.....for me I'll keep my sweet spots to myself thanks....unless it's a day ticket....then it's fair Game.

Tight lines for the upcoming season, may all your barbel troubles be huge doubles.....I know mine will be.

The kindest of regards.

"Geoffrey" Dub Collins

Richard.....with the greatest of respect to your reply on this thread. A friend videod a group of barbel on the middle teme. I tried to post but it wouldn't upload. Therefore I took a still of this. Initial posts were positive to this, then I seem to be the the butt of a joke between certain members on here. I choose to ignore this bullying and belittling behaviour. There are those who have posted on here saying that the barbel in the Teme are no longer....nothing further could be from the truth. Have they got wise to the loud mouth approach and heavy foot of the summer angler?.....Yes.
To that end....this season whenever I fish the Severn or the Teme I will post a picture of the fish with as current as a copy of the anglers crimes or dangers mail as possible. I may even surround my unhooking mat (always better than field stubble) with some balsam.

I pity those who are too quick to post negativity that fish aren't caught often....for example Mr Breakspeare catches quite regularly.......but no one questions him as he posts a full picture of him and the fish.....for me I'll keep my sweet spots to myself thanks....unless it's a day ticket....then it's fair Game.

Tight lines for the upcoming season, may all your barbel troubles be huge doubles.....I know mine will be.

The kindest of regards.

"Geoffrey" Dub Collins
I see, so the season has already started for, you couldn't resist that old stubble 'fable' could you, just in case anyone is wondering he accused me of laying down a Barbel on stubble in a field, to which he could prove from my very own video, of course he could not, it never happened , it was a lie. You were outed by me with regard to the so called winter Barbel you caught c/w with summer balsam in the net....you I will concede are a persistent liar I will give you that. I wish you no ill at all, whoever you are, but I will always defend myself against such lies, I merely want to enjoy in peace my time on here and the bank, however you are hell bent on mischief, I will not reply to any more of your posts as I don't want another feud on here, I would appreciate it if you will not send me anymore threats, if you do I will take measures.
Just how you have survived so long on here is a mystery, when others for far less have been banned.

Jeff/Neil - apalogies for my (seemingly mischievous) post. I certainly didn't intend to stoke any fires between the two of you. I haven't fished the Teme, sadly, for a few years, preferring to concentrate on more local rivers, however I hold the Teme in high regard.

Tight lines to you both for the coming season.

Back