• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River Teme thriving

Jeff Collins

No Longer a Member
Popular to other people's thoughts
The teme seems to be doing well on the barbel front. Having done the hard yards in the off season there is an abundance barbel. I'll try and post a video my mate made.

Middle teme barbel

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180524-213009_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20180524-213009_WhatsApp.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 1,191
Ssshhh.....but seriously, it`s well worth getting back for a go! Just a shame the baa cannot get access back to Cotheridge, if anyone has any ideas please let them or I know, they have tried through the council etc..

I don't doubt for a moment that barbel still move from the Lower Severn up the Teme to spawn, in the same way that they have for many, many years. It's a rational and obvious journey to make. The big question is though..how many of those barbel stay in the Teme. That is..seeing babel in increased numbers in the Lower Teme and the Lower Middle Teme, is to be expected at this time of year...IMHO.

I don't doubt for a moment that barbel still move from the Lower Severn up the Teme to spawn, in the same way that they have for many, many years. It's a rational and obvious journey to make. The big question is though..how many of those barbel stay in the Teme. That is..seeing babel in increased numbers in the Lower Teme and the Lower Middle Teme, is to be expected at this time of year...IMHO.
Very much my thoughts, the Teme has always been a major river they travel up to Spawn, and if anyone doubts that the removal of obstacles in their will not help should reconsider.

How do barbel migrating up from the Severn into the Teme manage to pass through Powick Weir Terry?

Not sure if you know the weir or not Joe, but it's more of a big riffle than 'falls'. They never appear to have much problem negotiating it anyway ..I think it's only shad that do have/have had a problem :eek::eek::eek:

Nice to read the teme is on the up. It was my main barbel river fished in my late teens. Heard loads of negative so nice to read the other way. Got a Wye trip booked end of June/July may have to get a teme and severn booked for autumn. I still have fond memories of there i caught a couple of 8lb fish in a short session (over 20 years ago!). The fish on my line was followed directly by a another barbel of equal size and behind that was a pike of double plus the size. Always stuck in my memory bank. Here's a healthy teme again.

I'm sure a few barbel have come up from the Severn to spawn, but there's no saying they'll stay in the Teme after the deed is done. I've walked the Middle Teme 6 or 7 times in the last couple of weeks (bailiffing duties etc) and not seen a single barbel.. the spawning gravels etc were bare. But the lower Middle (Cotheridge down) and the Lower (below Powick) sections may be full of barbel. Dunno....not walked those bits for a while.

Hi men,

Just chatted to someone who walks a little stretch we have had to ourselves on every visit , and he concludes with you Terry, so they could be localised with bits barren .

Hatter

Yeah Hatter, I chose and used the word "Fabulous" earlier in this thread advisedly ... yep, 30 barbel is truely, and unfortunately, 'fabulous'.

Hi men,

Just chatted to someone who walks a little stretch we have had to ourselves on every visit , and he concludes with you Terry, so they could be localised with bits barren .

Hatter

Isn't that what a more natural and sustainable stock should be in a small river like the Teme? A large biomass of long living fish such as barbel proved not to be a success last time so why wish for it back?

Back