• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River setups

Personally not interested for the rivers Richard, I’m doing a little bit of close season carping and am interested because of zebra mussels that are now in my local waters and also to pin down the line ahead of the trace. I don’t have much luck with threading conventional tubing. The mussels weren’t here in the 70’s and 80’s but the little buggers seem to have made the Darent Valley home 🤣
Bill I always had problems with threading line into tubing....and then I discovered.

The pole elastic threader. Magic for a couple of quid.

Bill I always had problems with threading line into tubing....and then I discovered.

The pole elastic threader. Magic for a couple of quid.

Many thanks Graham 👍

I was asking originally from a river fishing perspective not still water. Where I'm thinking if going on the Thames, there's evidence of old mussel shells in the margins, so naturally thought it s goid idea to seecwhat you guy's would use to protect the lines, if you fish rivers that have mussel beds. 👍

I was asking originally from a river fishing perspective not still water. Where I'm thinking if going on the Thames, there's evidence of old mussel shells in the margins, so naturally thought it s goid idea to seecwhat you guy's would use to protect the lines, if you fish rivers that have mussel beds. 👍
Are you thinking of upping the abrasion resistance solely on the sight of a few old mussel shells Julian? From my experience, many rivers contain freshwater mussels and they're not a problem. Your OP suggests that you, personally, haven't had a problem with mussels (zebra or otherwise)... so the first thing I'd do is establish whether or not there is a problem of cut-offs/abrasion before you change your rig to something you're not 100% sure about. I'm wondering whether those carpers are using lead core or whatever because, basically, that's what they use when carping, wherever they're fishing.
N.b.. I have had problems with mussels on a river-fed reservoir, mainly from massive mussel beds sited on the 'shoulder' of steep drop-offs. But I've never found mussels to be a problem on that same river.

Personally not interested for the rivers Richard, I’m doing a little bit of close season carping and am interested because of zebra mussels that are now in my local waters and also to pin down the line ahead of the trace. I don’t have much luck with threading conventional tubing. The mussels weren’t here in the 70’s and 80’s but the little buggers seem to have made the Darent Valley home 🤣
Best method for threading all tubing is to do it standing up and over your shoulder . . .holding the length of tubing in one hand (and dropping vertically) take the mainline from your rod and reel over your shoulder (after cutting the end of the mono at 45 degrees) and push down into the tubing. Initially you can push in quite a bit, but eventually it'll be at approx 1cm at a time . . .persevere and hey presto it appears at the other end with minimal aggro . . . . . . sounds daft but I promise you it works . . .no idea why but it does!

Are you thinking of upping the abrasion resistance solely on the sight of a few old mussel shells Julian? From my experience, many rivers contain freshwater mussels and they're not a problem. Your OP suggests that you, personally, haven't had a problem with mussels (zebra or otherwise)... so the first thing I'd do is establish whether or not there is a problem of cut-offs/abrasion before you change your rig to something you're not 100% sure about. I'm wondering whether those carpers are using lead core or whatever because, basically, that's what they use when carping, wherever they're fishing.
N.b.. I have had problems with mussels on a river-fed reservoir, mainly from massive mussel beds sited on the 'shoulder' of steep drop-offs. But I've never found mussels to be a problem on that same river.
Leaders in carping (whether it be leadcore, tubing or another material) are not only to protect against possible abrasion / pinning everything down but also to protect the fish . . .mono and braid can easily get caught under scales on the flank during a fight (especially on plated mirrors etc) and they're generally used for this reason irrespective of anything else . . .

A lot of waters now make this compulsory . . . . . .however where it does get silly is that they allow floater fishing / zigs without leaders . . . .

Leaders in carping (whether it be leadcore, tubing or another material) are not only to protect against possible abrasion / pinning everything down but also to protect the fish . . .mono and braid can easily get caught under scales on the flank during a fight (especially on plated mirrors etc) and they're generally used for this reason irrespective of anything else . . .

A lot of waters now make this compulsory . . . . . .however where it does get silly is that they allow floater fishing / zigs without leaders . . . .
Yes Chris, I know the question of using lead core is divisive, compulsory on some waters, banned on others. Used on all bottom rigs by some carp anglers, whilst other carp anglers will never use it. It's as divisive as barbless hooks I guess. But personally I'd want to know exactly why those anglers on the Thames were using it ... and if their reasons were soundly convincing then I'd go with it.

Best method for threading all tubing is to do it standing up and over your shoulder . . .holding the length of tubing in one hand (and dropping vertically) take the mainline from your rod and reel over your shoulder (after cutting the end of the mono at 45 degrees) and push down into the tubing. Initially you can push in quite a bit, but eventually it'll be at approx 1cm at a time . . .persevere and hey presto it appears at the other end with minimal aggro . . . . . . sounds daft but I promise you it works . . .no idea why but it does!
Cheers Chris, I’ll give that a try👍

Chris. Helicopter rigs.
Threading invariably the problem is the beads.

I tried what you suggested before after a couple of youtube clips but no good on 12lb GT80

Do you put the heli beads on the line before then thread onto the tubing afterwards.? Seems to stretch the tubing even wet?
That's why I found the threader solved it easier.

Chris. Helicopter rigs.
Threading invariably the problem is the beads.

I tried what you suggested before after a couple of youtube clips but no good on 12lb GT80

Do you put the heli beads on the line before then thread onto the tubing afterwards.? Seems to stretch the tubing even wet?
That's why I found the threader solved it easier.
What tubing are you using Graham . .? Not all tubing is made equal . . .! To be honest leadcore is a good option for helicopters as its safe and the lead should in most circumstances be fixed . . . I've never used a helicopter with 'standard' rubber / tungsten tubing as it stretches and is a pig to thread - the Rigmarole micro braid stuff I've recommended should take a 6mm tapered bead no probs - after threading your line wet the leader, saliva the bead and slide it on . . .ESP / Fox beads are as good as any . . .

Yes Chris, I know the question of using lead core is divisive, compulsory on some waters, banned on others. Used on all bottom rigs by some carp anglers, whilst other carp anglers will never use it. It's as divisive as barbless hooks I guess. But personally I'd want to know exactly why those anglers on the Thames were using it ... and if their reasons were soundly convincing then I'd go with it.
Does sound odd maybe on moving water and the amount of time barbel rigs are actually left in-situ. . .I've had problems with zebra mussells on still waters where the rigs have been left in place (post initial cast) for up to 48hrs . . .gives them a chance to presumably 'clamp around / on' the line and most breakages are on the take when the rod is lifted into the fish. Leadcore can alleviate this but only if the mainline is clear of the mussell bed in the first place . . .using 6-8ft lengths in this instance was not uncommon . . .sounds a bit extreme for barbel?

Does sound odd maybe on moving water and the amount of time barbel rigs are actually left in-situ. . .I've had problems with zebra mussells on still waters where the rigs have been left in place (post initial cast) for up to 48hrs . . .gives them a chance to presumably 'clamp around / on' the line and most breakages are on the take when the rod is lifted into the fish. Leadcore can alleviate this but only if the mainline is clear of the mussell bed in the first place . . .using 6-8ft lengths in this instance was not uncommon . . .sounds a bit extreme for barbel?
Totally agree (bloody hell, eh Chris!!) I've found that exact same problem, especially fishing on 'the shelf'.

Lol - don't get too comfy - we're not sharing a bivvy just yet . . .xx

PS> Yes mussells beds on the shelf can be an arse - sometimes it seems like they've got fins and can swim - they're always in an area where fish like to feed as well! Have always thought on lakes that allow the use of a boat maybe using a large bottle type float (Rainbow lake style) and double leads would be a good idea so that the line from the rod can still be taught and out of the water but drops down into the feeding area vertically negating the obstacle / mussells etc. Bit OTT for barbel tho . . .or maybe not! Would a pike bung held back 'laying on' style work as well . .?

Stret pegging with a 6gr Avon the Barbel bite would often be more vicious than legering with the rod pulled round before your hand could get on the rod.

A Pike bung would be self hooking, not that it would be needed and would drag into the bank in many swims ( Apart from obvious cross stream ones)

Stret pegging with a 6gr Avon the Barbel bite would often be more vicious than legering with the rod pulled round before your hand could get on the rod.

A Pike bung would be self hooking, not that it would be needed and would drag into the bank in many swims ( Apart from obvious cross stream ones)
Don't worry . . .wasn't seriously considering this just musing! You know when I'm serious cos it'll be followed up with a drawing . . .!

Hi Terry. I've had exactly the opposite. mussels in a reservoir fed 'river'. 😊 ;) ;)

Back