• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River setups

Julian Griffiths

Morning chaps.

I'm looking at incorporating a leadcore leader to my setup, whilst fishing the Thames sometime next season.

I know the advantages of doing so, but was wondering are there anglers that fish these larger bodies of water, that still dont use it in their set ups, simply because they've not had their main lines affected by snags zebra mussels etc?

Just wondering what the consensus was amongst you guys that fish venues like mine. I'd be using mainline of 12 minimum but 15lb would be my go to. Big carp nearby and snags.

I could go back to tubing, but didnt like its annoying habits of raising off the bottom, when I used it, even with small blobs of tungsten putty.

I know how to set lead core up for fish safety etc! 😉

Cheers. Julian

leadcore is ok my only worry would be tethered fish...but what about tungsten tubing
Ive used esp tungsten tubing and noticed it lifting off the bottom.
Your right in the fact of tethering etc, but all components will slide off.
Ive found a leader that doesnt incorporate lead core so will look into that too. I beleive korda are the manufacturer.

Dont worry. Im properly researching this setup, and will slso see what the locals are using to gain further knowledge. 😊

Can't see how leadcore can be a good thing to protect against zebra mussels or other sharp things. It's only braid filled with lead wire and braid is supposed to be super bad for lack of abrasion resistance.
I'd try a thick flurocarbon leader. Supposedly invisible and sinks like a stone.
Or a length of T14 or T18 which has a nylon core and is tungsten coated.
Used as sinking tips for flylines.

Can't see how leadcore can be a good thing to protect against zebra mussels or other sharp things. It's only braid filled with lead wire and braid is supposed to be super bad for lack of abrasion resistance.
I'd try a thick flurocarbon leader. Supposedly invisible and sinks like a stone.
Or a length of T14 or T18 which has a nylon core and is tungsten coated.
Used as sinking tips for flylines.
Cheers Paul.

. . .I love leadcore - when used safely! I've pretty much stuck with the ESP version since I started using it. The only real safe set up (and to negate trailing anything but the hooklink) is with a helicopter rig and beads that can slide off with the slightest pressure and indeed over any spliced loops / leader knots, so this may be worth consideration.

However . . we have a ban on my current syndy so have to use tubing . . . .I'm actually now a convert and this is 100% the BEST stuff out there . . . looks like leadcore, acts like leadcore but slides off like tubing so best of all worlds . . .very heavy and supple - great stuff . . prefer the micro braided version. Did I also mention it was a doddle to thread . . ? Unlike all of the heavy tubing options out there . . .

Last edited:
. . .I love leadcore - when used safely! I've pretty much stuck with the ESP version since I started using it. The only real safe set up (and to negate trailing anything but the hooklink) is with a helicopter rig and beads that can slide off with the slightest pressure and indeed over any spliced loops / leader knots, so this may be worth consideration.

However . . we have a ban on my current syndy so have to use tubing . . . .I'm actually now a convert and this is 100% the BEST stuff out there . . . looks like leadcore, acts like leadcore but slides off like tubing so best of all worlds . . .very heavy and supple - great stuff . . prefer the micro braided version. Did I also mention it was a doddle to thread . . ? Unlike all of the heavy tubing options out there . . .

Chris. As that has a stainless steel core I can't see much difference to using lead core re Club rules?

Chris. As that has a stainless steel core I can't see much difference to using lead core re Club rules?
Depends on your club rules . .! It is steel lined with a very fine spiral wire core however its braided on the outside and is tubing, (mainline is threaded through) so in the event of a mainline break simply slides off . . .unlike leadcore that is fixed via splicing / spliced loops & knots etc.

There's no telling with club rules - most of them are pre-historic / backwards . .!

I'll take a look at it. Cheers for the recommendations! 👍

Most expensive tubing out there at £12+ - go for the 3x 1m lengths rather than the 5x 600mm . . . .!

Most expensive tubing out there at £12+ - go for the 3x 1m lengths rather than the 5x 600mm . . . .!
Chris,
Is it able to be cut down to individual length requirements? In the pictures it looks as if it might have a “finished” end.

Chris,
Is it able to be cut down to individual length requirements? In the pictures it looks as if it might have a “finished” end.
Hi Bill - unfortunately no - others have tried and failed (that's not say that its not 100% doable but an expensive exercise if you screw it up)
The inner is a tightly wound coil (micro coil) of steel and this is sheathed in a tough outer braid. If you snip it the coil gets exposed and can unravel very easily, rendering the length useless (it can 'ping' out) . . .the 2x finished ends seal the coils/braid and sit nicely within buffers / beads etc . . .no need to cut it IMO.

Based on the above this product is certainly not as versatile as leadcore, but as a safe tough leader material is just as good if not better . . .

Hi Bill - unfortunately no - others have tried and failed (that's not say that its not 100% doable but an expensive exercise if you screw it up)
The inner is a tightly wound coil (micro coil) of steel and this is sheathed in a tough outer braid. If you snip it the coil gets exposed and can unravel very easily, rendering the length useless (it can 'ping' out) . . .the 2x finished ends seal the coils/braid and sit nicely within buffers / beads etc . . .no need to cut it IMO.

Based on the above this product is certainly not as versatile as leadcore, but as a safe tough leader material is just as good if not better . . .
Many thanks for the info Chris, appreciated 👍

It all seems overly-elaborate to me. I fish small to medium sized rivers, with the odd session on the upper Trent, however I don't see the need to leave bits of metal dotted about the riverbed (if broken/snagged). Is this a confidence thing, or do you all genuinely believe it puts more fish on the bank?

Asking for a friend. :)

It all seems overly-elaborate to me. I fish small to medium sized rivers, with the odd session on the upper Trent, however I don't see the need to leave bits of metal dotted about the riverbed (if broken/snagged). Is this a confidence thing, or do you all genuinely believe it puts more fish on the bank?

Asking for a friend. :)
Personally not interested for the rivers Richard, I’m doing a little bit of close season carping and am interested because of zebra mussels that are now in my local waters and also to pin down the line ahead of the trace. I don’t have much luck with threading conventional tubing. The mussels weren’t here in the 70’s and 80’s but the little buggers seem to have made the Darent Valley home 🤣

Back