• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River pike

Well after 4 hours without a touch I was considering packing up but decided another 30mins .

After 10 the float bobbed and moved off. Typical Wye powerful surge and when I saw it roll I realised it was very special.
Two more heavy runs before it slipped in the net.

25lb 11oz of beautifully marked Wye crocodile.

Happy Chap.
20191110_135459.jpg
20191110_135859.jpg

What an absolute beauty there Graham.
That last ten minutes was certainly well worth putting in. She’s a dam sight bigger than any pike I’ve ever caught. (I usually catch them by accident mind 😂

My favourite winter river method is a trotted live or dead bait, usually an afternoon session going into dusk. As for avoiding smaller pike.... that's a question that's pained me for years, but keep going and eventually the odd bigger one turns up.

My favourite winter river method is a trotted live or dead bait, usually an afternoon session going into dusk. As for avoiding smaller pike.... that's a question that's pained me for years, but keep going and eventually the odd bigger one turns up.
Hi Phil.
Most of the Wye clubs, Ross, Hereford for example only allow minnows and bleak as live bait. Just for info.

I fished the town stretch quite a few seasons ago and put out a chublet 4-5" on a paternoster( sorry didn't know the above rule)
No beep on the alarm or clip-out of the drop-off but I noticed the line was slowly moving upstream? - wound down to what I thought was a jack, ended up being a near 4lb perch. One of them bittersweet moments as the fish of a lifetime that had inhaled a big bait and a set of trebles.
I had to cut the hooks but I was so gutted I couldn't even take a picture.

There are still a few good perch there.
Best last year 3.7 on bleak.
But a much bigger one surfaced chasing the bleak. As it went down and the float sunk I struck. Nothing!

On the Thames in a boatyard a few years ago taking a youngster piking, the first 3 fish were circa 4lb perch all taking a 6-8oz roach ( only ones we could catch at side of boats)on trebles. Deep hooked so I know how you felt!

Back