• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

River Lugg destruction court decision.

From the Hereford Times website....it is known locally that he has ignored legislation before but the facts are as below (taken directly from court proceedings)

John Price's previous offences​

The court has heard of John Price's previous offences.

• In 1998, he piled some rubble against the river bank. He was given a warning.
  • In August 1999, he removed gravel and was challenged by officials.
  • In July 2007, he was prosecuted for creating a dam to irrigate his potato farm and was fined.
In November 2018, Mr Price re-profiled the river and created flooding embankments with material he had scraped against the river.

He was given guidance remotely and reminded of his obligations and to obtain the relevant permits. In October time, the court heard, salmon and ground trout lay their eyes; therefore, their eggs could be destroyed by the machinery.

In July 2020, he was warned about his actions.

"His failure to observe the buffer zone could only be to maximise his profits," said judge Strongman.

In November 2020, he mebarked on the works with an 18-tonne digger used. Other machinery was used to remove trees and reprofile the banks.

The bulldozer was fitted with a tracker, and it drove across the riverbed. This would have crushed the fish eggs.

"He seems to have adopted the attitude that the rules do not apply to him," said Judge Strongman.

This is sadly typical of many landowners, farmers who have little regard to anything beyond their own selves. Well done for all concerned for bringing this awful man to justice. His beef was the river was an area of special significance and so he destroyed it.

Well, from our point of view, this guy deserves the a life long sentence in the jail.

Apparently, he has some supporters:

Personally I reckon confiscation of the land by the river and within 500m of the river along with full reparation costs would have hurt him more than 6-months in prison he will actually serve. With the land placed in public ownership.

When he gets out, he will still own that land and can continue to obstruct the reparation work. How cooperative do you think he is going to be?

Personally I reckon confiscation of the land by the river and within 500m of the river along with full reparation costs would have hurt him more than 6-months in prison he will actually serve. With the land placed in public ownership.

When he gets out, he will still own that land and can continue to obstruct the reparation work. How cooperative do you think he is going to be?
That would include his house and farm Joe. They could always bulldoze it flat maybe...an 18 tonne digger would work nicely...wonder if anyone round there knows someone who has one. Oh. Wait...!

Screenshot_20230422_222441_Twitter.jpg

Good to see the lady in charge of Defra has a good understanding of the situation...pollution?!

If jail sentences were handed out to polluters then they would have to build a new prison just to house all the water company exec's !

View attachment 23451
Good to see the lady in charge of Defra has a good understanding of the situation...pollution?!

If jail sentences were handed out to polluters then they would have to build a new prison just to house all the water company exec's !
I doubt she writes her own tweets Joe...they have people employed to do these things for them...half the time they won't have a clue that they don't have a clue 🤦‍♂️

Well, from our point of view, this guy deserves the a life long sentence in the jail.

Apparently, he has some supporters:
It beggars belief that anyone would want to support this vandal. However, I often see examples of people wishing to "tidy up" the countryside with no understanding of the damage that is done to the environment when undertaking this kind of work.
What makes this example different is that Farmer Price had several warnings in the past and chose to ignore them. I'm a fairly good judge of character and from what I've read about the guy I would think he thought himself "above the law".
He is the worst kind of environmental vandal as he knew what he was doing and stuck 2 fingers up to the law and all of us who care about the environment.
Just a pity the sentence wasn't for 10 years with no early release date.

It appears that a very powerful faction within the Conversative Party backbenches is lobbying hard to remove the rights of the Natural England and the Environment Agency to be able to able to make decisions on Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI's). They are plotting to hand this power to Government ministers. This is utterly scandalous.

There has been lots of coverage about the Commoners grazing situation on Dartmoor SSSI and this is being cited as a reason for removing the powers of NE & EN. But don't think for one minute that the John Price case isn't also a major factor.

Would you trust the current Government who are largely funded by powerful and wealthy landowners to act impartially and in the best interests of the environment? Would they have prosecuted John Price? Or would there have been a shady behind the scenes deal done?

For an informed and alternative perspective on the Dartmoor situation, read here: https://westcountryvoices.co.uk/fai...uch-poor-condition-and-what-needs-to-be-done/

Back