• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

RIP John Wilson

I'm sure he inspired many people to take up fishing.His enthusiasm and laughter was infectious and I used to look forward to his Go Fishing programmes.It wasn't all about fishing though,he was a man of the countryside and appreciated nature as well.RIP John Wilson.

Huge loss to angling. I too was inspired by A Specimen Fishing Year and even sought out The Marsh long after its demise just to walk the banks. RIP JW.

If I had any general fishing question- like, literally anything, and I had his number and he knew who I was and so didn’t look to report me to the authorities as a freaky stalker, I would always call John. I frequently blanked with pride using his Avon rod and in fact my very first encounter with a barbel was using the Avon. He managed to capture the very essence of fishing and it all seemed so simple and so effortless.

I vividly remember an episode of GF when he was stalking barbel on his beloved Wensum- feeding a shoal of barbel with white maggots as he looked to snare the biggest barbel in the group whilst avoiding the attention of the other barbel and chub. And that episode on the H/Avon, sitting deep in a reed bed as he dropped a chunk of luncheon meat no more than a rod length out. All beautifully simple and glourious. Fishing, basically.

RIP.

Back