• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

RIP John Wilson

Sad news. I saw a very recent vid on Youtube a little while ago. He was obviously struggling for breath a little bit, and it was the first time I've seen him "match" his age. Of course his son has since confirmed recent heart problems which would explain that, but an apparently unrelated stroke took him. Such a shame he never managed to make it back to Norfolk as he wanted.

RIP you giggling legend.

RIP Mr Wilson an inspiration

He was a brilliant presenter who managed to effectively convey the joys of fishing and being in the countryside. Go Fishing inspired several generations of anglers and is still one of my all time favourites. RIP John.

Sad news indeed. Most of us will have enjoyed the many TV appearances but if you have not read his book A Specimen Fishing Year...Recommend you buy, steal, borrow. I’m not the worlds greatest reader but I had trouble putting it down. Ranks up there with Quest for Carp to name just one....RIP John and thank you

Very sad news. Like many,my inspiration as a kid. Fond memories of watching go fishing for the first time with my old man. John had universal appeal and such enthusiasm that I thought he'd go on forever....number 1 for me....R.I.P John.

Sad news indeed. Most of us will have enjoyed the many TV appearances but if you have not read his book A Specimen Fishing Year...Recommend you buy, steal, borrow. I’m not the worlds greatest reader but I had trouble putting it down. Ranks up there with Quest for Carp to name just one....RIP John and thank you

Your spot on there Bill, 'A Specimen Fishing Year' is a great angling book, it would make my top 5. Little Egret Press did a reprint not so long ago I think. A fine addition to anyone's angling book collection.

Such sad news. He was an inspiration to so many of us, and opened the world of angling to a much wider audience via his larger-than-life personality.

Very sad news indeed, an inspiration to so many young and old, as dean macey rightly said yesterday, angling was in a better state with John Wilson around than with out! Rip

RIP John, I just watched his interview before he left the UK in 2013 and one by Angling direct in June this year. Very accurate no nonsense assessment of all that effects UK angling

Years ago I went to see John and Bob James do a slideshow and talk in St Albans, good to see him and listen in person. As others have said, he was the best at what he did, RIP JW.

Sad sad news, and I don't think we'll ever see a decent fishing series like it again.
John could show his hand at just about any form of angling going, though personally I enjoyed his coarse adventures in this country most. One I particularly remember is when he targeted barbel and chub (mostly barbel) on the very club stretch of the Gt. Ouse I was a member of. He was catching them by standing in the river, trotting small boilies at one point, if I remember correctly.
Also watching him use 'that' Wilson Avon/quiver to catch numerous fish of many sizes. btw, I used one for a number of years and caught shed loads of barbel on it. :)

I loved watching John fish around the world but it was hard to beat the UK coarse fishing films. I also own three of his books, 50 years a fisherman, a fishing year, and catch tench. An angler whose techniques I never copied unIike many others which I did. No real reason why, he just seemed such a natural angler and so intuitive, no formula. It was the enthusiasm that inspired me to watch the films and get out there doing it. I was also fortunate to meet him once as a young impressionable angler. A true legend of the sport and inspiration to so many. He will be sadly missed. RIP John.

Back