• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Reuben Heaton 9000 Digital Scales?

I've had mine for over 6 weeks now and no issues. Carry a spare set if batteries just in case though! Quite like them and happy at the moment.

Is that Excellent if they will work?

Had no problems with mine, they're compact and lightweight and work as they should. Can only speak from my own experiences and I think that they're an excellent bit of kit.

I originally started this thread and the replacement scales are o.k. after nearly 3 weeks.
Problem is the original scales were o.k. for a couple of months and then drained the batteries after 4 days without any warning.

It seems you can get a good or a bad set, not really good enough and reuben heaten need to sort out the battery draining issue.

Phil im going to stick with my salter electro samsons, work when its hot or cold weather, good battery life accurate in tests, but BULKY:(

season 3

Third season now without a battery change and I used them on the Wye last week without any issues whatsoever, as I was with others I used them a lot more than I would normally, all good.

Well, they are loved by some but found mine Flyweight Mk2 weigh 7 to 8 ounces heavy at the 10lb mark. So in a word 'poo' based on my experience.
Salter Samson for me if I can put up with lugging them around or the spot on, compact and light Jennings UltraSport 10kg - sadly discontinued.

Cheers
Bob

I'm with Bob on this one , at least with regard to the flyweights . The latest flyweights are indeed poo , wildly inaccurate at all ranges . I tried 3 new sets , all had the same inaccuracies so gave up . I gave them a go as they are small and portable but that was all they had going for them .....

I think the point here is that the John, the OP, wanted to know if these scales could be recommended...i.e, were they reliable etc. From the many replies, it would seem fairly clear that the answer is no. They apparently CAN be good, if you're lucky enough to get a good one...but luck is not good enough when it comes to recommending something as being reliable. Most other digital scales seem to suffer from the same problems, with luck playing a large part in the good/bad stakes. Sad, but true I think.

The one exception to that seems to be the Salter/Brecknell Electro Samson scales, which are pretty universally recommended as being reliable, but they are quite bulky. RH dial scales are extremely reliable, accurate (if kept calibrated) and don't need batteries...but again are bulky.

I guess it's all down to your priorities really. Do you want accurate weights, or is lightness/compactness your main concern? I frequent a lot of forums, and have done so for some years, and this is a subject that pops up frequently on all of them. There seems to be NO reasonable compromise at this time...you have to go with your priorities on this one.

Cheers, Dave.

Just an update as I originally started this thread.
The replacement scales are still working but the backlight doesn't work now.
Not good enough, I can't be bothered returning them again and will wait for them to fail but won't be replacing them with another set.

My set are working ok,mind you I haven't had many barbel to weigh,when I get the scales out I do tend to hold my breath just in case they've gone pear shaped.Good luck to all.

Dont blame you Phil you certainly persevered for long enough.....:mad:

Jamie

I can assure you that they aren't being worn out by weighing barbel, if only.

John

Shame really they are a really convenient scales and accurate to, but mightily frustrating.

Its remarkable how varied peoples experiences are with these scales. I've had a set for a couple of years now and not had a moment's trouble and I'm still on the original batteries. Last week I left them in the landing net when returning a barbel and they still worked for the rest of that evening. When I got home I took the batteries out and dried the scales in direct sunlight and they are fine.

Surprises me too this one, local tackle shop has sold hundreds and not had a single return!!

Been looking up this thread. I got some avon scales and had them checked they was 2 oz out but are bulky. Been looking at these scales but was wondering if still having problems with them

Been looking up this thread. I got some avon scales and had them checked they was 2 oz out but are bulky. Been looking at these scales but was wondering if still having problems with them

I've got some Dean, had them a couple of years, no problems so far.

Back