• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Reuben Heaton 9000 Digital Scales?

At our Tenchfisher's AGM we tested out various scales including the RH 9000. I have a set of Breckner Electro Samsons and RH9000s. The former were spot on to the nearesr quarter of an ounce but my 9000s were 1oz light at 4/7/11lb tests. Others were ok. We only tested at those weights to cover the tench range.
The cheap Korums were 100%!

By the way digitals did better than mechanical scales overall. That may, however, have been distorted by some of the ancient Avon scales produced which were distinctly dodgy.

RH Weighmates didn't do very well.

Posted the scales back to Reuben heaten last Monday, received new set this morning.
Will test the new set for a couple of weeks before trusting them on the bank.
Will post result on here.

I have had mine for 2 years now, never had any issues and used regularly, not just for fishing. I have to say I did try rechargeable batteries which was a bad move - they just did not last. Since removing them I use the Energizer High Tech batteries (I sell batteries so know the better options) and have not had an issue since. Never had them turn on unless I have done so deliberately either. These have been so good I have a second set now in my pike gear.

just a quick question regarding scales and readings - does anyone have a set of scales that measure in drams? I see so many people claiming fish weights including drams but have never seen a set of scales for fishing that accurate. Am I just being cynical or do they really exist? One very well known angler is always claiming drams on his weights, but "apparently" uses fox digital scales which don't show that!:(

Hi Phil

Take your point about rechargeables, have them in the scales now and will carry on testing for another week. At the moment all is fine and they are still showing the battery charge as full. Don't have any issues with anything else using enerloop rechargeables, if problem occurs again will try duracells.
I still believe it was a fault with the scales in that the batteries went from fully charged to no charge in 12 hours when turned off.

The plus point is that reuben heaten sent a new set to me within 9 days of my posting them back to them.

Phil, I do recall someone, somewhere complaining about Fox digitals when they first came out, for the same reason you mention. They ended up having to take the batteries out after each session, and putting them back when needed again. Bit of a rigmarole, but if it works......

Doesn't change the fact that you shouldn't have to do that though. There is obviously a very large percentage of the circuit still on and drawing power when you think it's switched off. Stupid design. If I recall right, some such scales don't even have an on/off switch :eek:

Cheers, Dave.

My RH lightweights fell apart yesterday, took the back off and it's toy town in there, the casing is held together with ill fitting screws that cannot be tightened too much as the spring won't work. The screws are stuck on with a piece of tape to hold in (temporarily).

Very poor.

So..... I just rang RH and had a moan, actually son's scales are the same, falling apart, lady on phone said well they are the cheap end of the 'scale', and almost said you got what you pay for, well I suppose you do, but £42 for the pair is a bit of a wad, so I wasn't budging, she went on to say they were made in China...of course they are that's why they are carp I said, which by then she thought I should speak to Andrew the MD, who is in to-morrow, I will I said and I will post on here as to how I get on.

David

Problem with taking batteries out each time is that you need a screwdriver to do it!, If I have same problem I will look for a different scale.
I have a Ron Thompson digital set which weigh up to 20lb, these are brilliant but last season started playing up in that after taring the weigh sling they would turn off before I had chance to weigh the fish. Got around this by taring nothing, weighing the fish + weigh sling, returning the fish and weighing weigh sling and subtracting from total weight.
At the moment they are o.k. again and if they were still on sale would buy a new set as they were o.k. and accurate for about 5 years.

Any new updates on these scales?

Thats good Phil fingers crossed....

Quick side note, bought a set a the weekend, put new batteries in working fine, got them out last night, didn't work......no sign of life!!!!

I returned mine a couple of weeks ago after battery issues. The final straw was purchasing very expensive batteries which were dead before I even had chance to use them. Can't knock the service mind. Got a new set within a week plus a cheque to cover my postage and the dead batteries that never got any use. I put some cheap batteries in and I've kept them on the window cill, checking them periodically and all seems ok for now.

My new ones have now found their way into my bag after a week and a half of trialling, a spare set of batteries have joined them just in case.

Hopefully I now have a good set but if they go wrong again will let you know.

This battery problem with R/H seems to happen often, it happened to my set as i said before and i wont be buying, or using them, any more. I also have a set of Salter/Brecknell Samson scales, bigger and slightly bulkier certainly, but much better in my opinion. I also have one or two other digital sets and the set i bought from Wilko's for £1.99 a few years ago are just about as accurate as the others up to 10kilo with no battery power issues:)

Stephen

This is rubbish, told it was a set of duff batteries so put some more in and was let down on the bank again. What are their small mechanical ones like.......?

This is rubbish, told it was a set of duff batteries so put some more in and was let down on the bank again. What are their small mechanical ones like.......?

Well, they are loved by some but found mine Flyweight Mk2 weigh 7 to 8 ounces heavy at the 10lb mark. So in a word 'poo' based on my experience.
Salter Samson for me if I can put up with lugging them around or the spot on, compact and light Jennings UltraSport 10kg - sadly discontinued.

Cheers
Bob

Back