• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Reuben Heaton 9000 Digital Scales?

John Cook

Hi All,

Not long to go now so good luck to you all enjoy your season....

This is aimed at the people who purchased the above scales, Im seriously looking of getting a set now...Are you guys still happy with them? Have you found any niggles etc? Do they settle quickly and lock onto the weight? How do those AAA batteries fare?

I'm thinking of getting some myself, but I'd like to know whether anyone's tested the accuracy of the readings, especially after a year of two of use. There are plenty of people on the forums who rate the 9000, but no-one seems to have actually tested one. It doesn't matter how quickly it locks on if it's 4 oz out in the first place.

I would just avoid any electronic scales , they may be super accurate , and tests I have seen do show they are more accurate than traditional scales, BUT they do have a nasty habit of flattening batteries , or weighing wildly inaccurately when batteries are not at full power . Get some reubon Heaton dial scales or some avons , they are super tough , accurate and don't go flat :)

I have a set that eats the batteries. I don't know if it's the scales power needs,the cheap batteries, or that they are being turned back on when shoved back in my rucksack, but i think they are supposed to switch off after a while. They seem accurate when "tested" against various set weights, but no more so than other digital scales i used for comparison. Also, they do fit easily into a side pocket of a bag though and quite light weightwise.

Stephen

I've got some.

They're great when they work, luckily it's been no trouble when i've returned them twice.

The problems i've encountered are that there is trouble with the ink in the display so the number doesn't show up well enough to read. This was happening more often in winter, I took them back and I was given a fresh set.

A few weeks ago I had a fish that I wanted to weigh, I left the fish in the net resting in the water and tried to get the scales zeroed, sadly they zeroed a little too well! 0lb 0oz was the only weight that was registered even when I took the wet sling off the hook (usually it will read -8oz or however much the sling weighed). I rested my finger on the hook to see if it would read out a weight and it didn't. I had to ask another angler to borrow his scales. The scales work again and it's only happened the once but was very frustrating, I've taken to carrying my old weighmasters as well just incase.

Also, when you hold the button down to turn it off, it can sometimes come back on again. It's worth checking it's off before you put it back in bag. The flip side to this problem is that should you put the scales back in your bag and they wake up, after a little while they will turn themselves off.

I can't remember how much I payed for them but I'd give them a 7/10. They're really good scales when they behave. Mind you, I have incredibly bad luck with phones and computers, so perhaps I can add electronic scales to the list!

Two seasons of mild use ( I only weigh anything thats borderline double i.e. very few ) and no problems at all . I calibrated them against a set of scientific scales I had from a chemistry lab and they were close to within 10-15 grams , no battery change yet and no malfunctions,all good.Be gentle with the on / off switches , no need to push them in very hard at all and they work fine.

Two seasons of mild use ( I only weigh anything thats borderline double i.e. very few ) and no problems at all . I calibrated them against a set of scientific scales I had from a chemistry lab and they were close to within 10-15 grams , no battery change yet and no malfunctions,all good.Be gentle with the on / off switches , no need to push them in very hard at all and they work fine.

same here, 2 seasons use same batteries and 9 grams out when compared to the digital Post Office scales which are calibrated and checked weekly.

Hi

mine suffered from being left out in a storm and the mist never cleared from the screen. They did replace them with a new set.

Must use the small bar for accurate readings

i would give them 7/10 also.

Whilst weighing in a canal carp with with my RH 9000's my second rod signalled a take,so i quickly put said fish back in landing net,still hidden in the sling,unfortunately in the process i left the scales attached to the cord,albeit placed on the canal towpath.The carp whilst rested proceeded to drag the scales into the canal,oops.Anyhow the digital screen was completely waterlogged and i thought the scales were ready for the bin,but after carefully drying out all the components amazingly they still worked.Having said all that they are also my second set after the first was replaced due to a dodgy digital display.And they can play up in cold conditions i've noticed

Well more yay than nay, think that i will go ahead and purchase a set for the coming season, small and light is what i am looking for and some favourable reviews there....Thanks Guys.

I am about to return my set which were purchased in January, all of a sudden they don't work and the batteries are completely flat. Recharged the batteries and operated them for 4 days twice a day, each time the battery level indicator showed them as fully charged. On operating them the 2nd time on the 4th day wouldn't operate and the batteries were 100% drained.
Spoke to reuben heaten and will be sending them back next week.

On the plus side I have tested them at various weights against reuben heaten dial scales and they give a reading within 1oz of the dial scales which to me is acceptable.

Also had them checked against a weight of 14lb 13oz at the local tackle shop and the true weight was 14lb 15oz.

Thanks Phil, maybe hold my horses for a while then......

Just bought a set from ebay 2 weeks ago, delivered for approx £33.00. Weighed water of varying volumes in a builders bucket & contrasted readings with a new set of dial Reubans & they were pretty much bang (+ 2oz, exactly as stated above) on from a few pound to 45lb+. If anything, they were easier to use. The only downside to me is the battery cover - the plastic has been molded in a way that water/condensation could ingress & to remove the batteries you have to unscrew the cover; but keep this in its wallet, in a bag & hopefully should not be an issue.

Given I use the trolly for most of my fishing traipsing good distances, this compact, light weight piece of kit I am pretty chuffed with & looking forward to using.

Cheers, Jon

Don't let me put you off John, they are a nice piece of kit and reading the comments if you get a good set are fine.
My error is that I bought them over the internet and now have to return them by post to Reuben Heaten, probably better to pay more and buy from a tackle shop where you can return them to if you have a problem - just being wise after the event.

The only downside to me is the battery cover - the plastic has been molded in a way that water/condensation could ingress & to remove the batteries you have to unscrew the cover; but keep this in its wallet, in a bag & hopefully should not be an issue.
Cheers, Jon

Is that the problem then, I keep mine in a resealable plastic bag, so far, no problems.

No Ade

The test I did was leaving the scales in the house, must be a short somewhere for them to drain batteries in about 12 hours, the problem is that you can't predict when it will happen as the battery level shows full and the next time you turn them on (12 hours later) the batteries have been drained.

Back