• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Reels

I only have 2 Barbel rods and 2 Barbel reels.

2 Pike rods and 2 Pike reels.

The rest of my feeder rods I have as many reels and just put on what I fancy at the time 😀

Regular in use rods n reels I have 20 rods and 11 reels so certainly not all dedicated to one another but some are. For example my 4000 thunnus reels would only ever be used for my torrix barbel rods however my daiwa TDX reels get swapped around on my float rods all the time

Hi all,
do you have a reel for every rod you have ? Or do you swap reels round to suit what rods your using ?
All my barbel rods,including the 3 i had off you mate are set up with reels, oh and 2 have the 4000d's i also purchased from you😉

Barbel rods and rods I use on commercials all have reels attached to them. General coarse fishing, I have five Shimano match reels and a 5010 that use the same size spool, of which I have 17. They get fixed on, as and when.

Edit;
I'm considering buying some Carp rods, but will leave them made up just with the spool attached. Then take two reels off two Barbel rods and add them to the extra reel I bought ages ago.

Last edited:
5000 xtea on my 2x 2lb torrix

5000 gte (B) on my 2 x 2.25 rods plus 2 x GTEs change when I use them for Zander.( fish scales/slime)

6000 xtea on my pike rod

2 x 4000 shimano stradics Feeder fishing. Change reel / bs line dependent on waters

2 x Match Aeros
3 x 3000 shimano stradics
For trotting, change reel according to bs on them and species

2 fly reels wychwood 8/9 and true fly 5/6 for 2 trout rods and 2 pike fly rods
Trout and pike..

No chance. I doubt I have reels for even 25% of my rods. I've still got more than enough reels.

Tend to have rod/ reels for very specific applications and keep them made up and ready to go.It's a habit from when I lived in East Yorks and had awesome pike fishing 5 minutes from my door, but 2 small kids. So everything was grabbing an hour or so whenever I could and literally I'd get the disapproving nod from the boss, grab a float rod for the canal and drains, paternoster rods for the river if I had livies in the tank or deadbait rods if I didn't. And I'd be fishing 10 minutes later, but often just the last hour of light. I caught my PB of 28-12 doing this, after getting a tip-off from a match angler as he weighed in ,and I was on a Sunday afternoon family walk. An hour later, that fish was in the net.

Doesn't make as much sense for chub and barbel fishing as I'm terrible for not feeding the swim properly and letting them get on the feed. It's too easy to get a bait in when the rods are all made up.
Also it's easy to grab a pair of rods you may not have used for a while and not check the line(mono)which we all know deteriorates even in storage. This happened last trip to the Wye when I used Chimera 3s that had been sat in storage for months and fortunately I did check the line and the first 30-50 ft on both reels was as weak as cotton, even though it had been renewed in close season.
So yes I do have a rod/reel combo for all my regular fishing but it's not necessary.Useful if you're busy and want gear ready to go. One of my pals is terrible for crying off ' cos his gear isn't sorted', whatever that means.

With the exception of a handful of float rods, all my rods have a dedicated reel. I haven't the time to be chopping and changing before trips, and each reel is selected to balance with the rod, and loaded with the appropriate line so no need to change it. I don't really need or ever use spare spools.

All of my rods have there own reel attached . There all 2 piece rods except my 15ft acolyte but even that stays made up with a Abu 506mk2 on but will admit with being 3 piece it's not so simple to put up as a 2 piece rod.

I only have 4 barbel rods these days. I’ve dwindled down to find 2 sets that practically cover everything I could want and these have dedicated reels that will only be used on them.
Pike rods the same … dwindled it down from 7-3 rods, now with their own reels but as far as match reels are concerned I only use daiwa TDX reels and I’ve got 3. I must have 10 float rods at least maybe more if I start digging into unused for a long time territory.
I don’t keep them made up all the time and there for any of those TDX reels could end up on at least any one of 6 commonly used float rods depending on where I’m going. I’ve still got a no2 17ft carbotec to try out at some point hopefully before the season ends. Again it’s going to get a TDX fitted to it. It’s the only fixed spool reel I’ve ever found to tick all the boxes for me when it comes to trotting a float.

Pike rods the same … dwindled it down from 7-3 rods, now with their own reels
I've got worse
2 x BB350 - long range
2 x X1 med range
1 x 13' Armalite Mk 1 - drifter
2 x Fox Predator - float ledger for rivers
2 x Chimera 2.75 - SFP rigs
1 x Chimera 2.5 - free roving livebait.

Penn Affinitys on the deadbait/ drifter rods, and 8000 GTEs on the rest

I've got worse
2 x BB350 - long range
2 x X1 med range
1 x 13' Armalite Mk 1 - drifter
2 x Fox Predator - float ledger for rivers
2 x Chimera 2.75 - SFP rigs
1 x Chimera 2.5 - free roving livebait.

Penn Affinitys on the deadbait/ drifter rods, and 8000 GTEs on the rest
There’s help out there mate……. I think 🤔

I am absolutely sure that if I was to have a determined ‘rummage’ in my loft then I would find rods and reels that I have never used and ( worse ) that I have long forgotten I have. This tells me that I actually don’t need any more ( yet🤪🤦‍♂️ ).
G.T.

Back