• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Reel Reconditions

Well I’m beginning to wish I never asked this question as I’m even more confused now, I’ve had a look at most of your recommendations and thank you for them but I’m still none the wiser !

I have got a Mitchell 300,410 and a 840 along with other various reels including Pins gathering dust or should i call it "Hoarding" that haven’t seen any daylight for many years, but i do want a bait runner !

What I keep looking at is the Penn Slammer Live Liner 460 as it ticks all my boxes and has got a good review on BFW, is the Penn Fierce 11 Live Liner just a newer model?
Dave

Hi Guys
Just been told by Shimano service centre that one of my beloved RE 5000's is beyond economic repair not bad for 15 years !!!
So I’m going to need some new reels
Can anybody recommend something slightly bigger as the 5000 RE did feel a little under gunned at times and ideally would like a front drag ?
Thanks
David

Hi David,

I assume you like having a baitrunner, and if it's a reel slightly bigger (in terms of spool diameter) than than the 5000 you are looking for, then consider either the 4000D or 4000OC - the higher 4000D has a higher spec but the 4000OC is still very well built and a touchy less blingy. I have used the 6000OC's on the Trent and they have been fine - just a bit big for my liking, perfect for piking though.

The new Shimano Baitrunner DL 4000 FB (which I haven't seen in the flesh) look like they could be ideal for barbel, shame about the double handle though.

Penn do make quality reels, I have the Affinity 7000's for carp and pike and they are very well made and excellent value.

Cheers,

Joe

The new Shimano Baitrunner DL 4000 FB (which I haven't seen in the flesh) look like they could be ideal for barbel, shame about the double handle though.
Joe

They are good for barbel i have the FB and the older model the FA which is more or less the same. I prefer the front drags and these 4000 reels are just the right size for the rivers I fish.

Dave

Attachments

• IMGP0467.jpg
    IMGP0467.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 216
What I keep looking at is the Penn Slammer Live Liner 460 as it ticks all my boxes and has got a good review on BFW, is the Penn Fierce 11 Live Liner just a newer model?
Dave

David, I had a pair of Slammer Liveliners which I found too heavy for MY liking. Bullet proof, Yes, but did not feel balanced on my rods. That is obviously a very personal opinion as you will find one or two on here that will put them above all others. The Penn Fierce Liveliners are a new "budget" addition to the range and not generally available in the UK but Basstastic have managed to get hold of them. The Fierce is slightly smaller than the Slammer and definately lighter BUT about 1.5 oz heavier than my Shimano 4000OC's.
I would be more than happy to meet up in the New Year so as you can "have a play" if you wish. I live in Kent but travel to Oxford for work quite regularly. Evesham would prove a problem to me but I'm sure we could meet somewhere in the Oxford area if you want to. My mobile no. is 07803 621247 if you want to arrange a meet at some time. I've nothing in my diary for Oxford at the moment but that can change quickly.
Hope this helps
Regards
Bill

Hi Guys
Just been told by Shimano service centre that one of my beloved RE 5000's is beyond economic repair not bad for 15 years !!!
So I’m going to need some new reels
Can anybody recommend something slightly bigger as the 5000 RE did feel a little under gunned at times and ideally would like a front drag ?
Thanks
David

Well Guys a change of plan !

A phone call from Felindre service center yesterday afternoon offering to restore my 5000 RE with a guarantee it will be as good as new for £50, all in including postage back.

No brainer for me especially with the history of 15 years or so of all the great fish i have caught with it !!!

Will be sending my other one back as well for the same offer seeing as i bought them originally as as a pair

Thanks again for your recommendations and kind offers
And thanks to the guys at Felindre service center as well

Dave

A phone call from Felindre service center yesterday afternoon offering to restore my 5000 RE with a guarantee it will be as good as new for £50, all in including postage back.

No brainer for me especially with the history of 15 years or so of all the great fish i have caught with it !!!

Will be sending my other one back as well for the same offer seeing as i bought them originally as as a pair

Dave

Like the sentiment Dave, I have 5010's 6010's and RE's, and the good ones are becoming scarce, £50 is not cheap, but what do you replace it with for that money? Besides as you say the memories and the sterling service it has given, it deserves a makeover...;)

Dave

My mate has recently done the same with his pair of RE's, which like yours are around 15 years old, and get criminally abused throughout the year for barbel, tench, bream etc, at least twice a week. I did joke with him that his reels are well on there way to becoming the angling equivalent of Trigger's broom :D

As a foot note to my reel problem i have just received both my 5000 RE's back from Felindre Shimano Service Centre,The reel that was in their words "beyond economic repair" has been restored back to as new condition (that's what i asked) for under £40 and the second reel for under £24 that's including postage ........No Brainer !!!
I know many of you on here have used these guys i can only echo what you have said they offer a fantastic service and lets hope we never loose them !!!
Lets keep them busy !!!
Dave

As a foot note to my reel problem i have just received both my 5000 RE's back from Felindre Shimano Service Centre,The reel that was in their words "beyond economic repair" has been restored back to as new condition (that's what i asked) for under £40 and the second reel for under £24 that's including postage ........No Brainer !!!
I know many of you on here have used these guys i can only echo what you have said they offer a fantastic service and lets hope we never loose them !!!
Lets keep them busy !!!
Dave
I'm doing my bit,just got my shimano 5000 gte back today,really quick and efficient service at a decent price,can't fault them.

Back