• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Reel Reconditions

David Potter

Hi Guys
Just been told by Shimano service centre that one of my beloved RE 5000's is beyond economic repair not bad for 15 years !!!
So I’m going to need some new reels
Can anybody recommend something slightly bigger as the 5000 RE did feel a little under gunned at times and ideally would like a front drag ?
Thanks
David

The Shimano 6000 OC is a good reel Dave, I had one and sold it, and now wished I hadnt. The 6000D is also good. Both are front drags.

John

I use Diawa TDR match reels with 10 pound maxima! The best front drag reel in the business! never had probs eaven in snaggy swims getting big barbel out!

not a big reel thow! but wy you wont a big heavy reel when a small light reel does the job :D

There is some Thunnus 4000s in the bfw classifieds. Very good.

David, the best reel for you is the one that you buy. ;) Everyone else will recommend the one that they bought. I,ll recommend the Shimano 3500b's that i bought. :D Good luck on whatever you choose. :)

Aint it funny how its ether Shimano or Diawa :eek:

I'll break the mould David/ Jonathan:D take a look at the Penn Fierce II Liveliner. I've two that I use for chucking 4 oz feeders on the Trent. Loads of cranking power, more than my 4000 OC Shimanos. It's got a very good front drag. It's built for saltwater use. Basstastic Supplies in Wales have half a dozen in stock in the 4000 size and a couple of 6000's.(eBay) Note though, they only come with one spool and DO NOT have an anti reverse so if you backwind NOT for you.:)
I recommend them.

Bill

just had a look at the pen fierce II " looks ok apart from the big blob on handle for spinning" Also little more weight as its full metal frame" where most are graphite! Also with no spare spool and priced at around £80

that's going against say the Diawa Ninja that's lighter and spare spool and Same BB" can get for £45 at angling direct :cool:

My Shimano XTEA's are still looking like new after about 10 years, granted not as much use as I'd like but brilliant reels if you can find some, 5000's for medium work, 6000's for the tidal....

Just to keep the old school side up , try a mitchell 300 or 410 , or an Abu Cardinal 54 or 55 ,none of these will pack up after 15 years! Some of the mithcells I use are 60 + years old and still going strong :):)

....as long as you're highly adept at playing barbs 'off the handle', I'd say :)
(and 300's, with their lower gear ratio, are better for that IIRC)

Just to keep the old school side up , try a mitchell 300 or 410 , or an Abu Cardinal 54 or 55 ,none of these will pack up after 15 years! Some of the mithcells I use are 60 + years old and still going strong :):)
Old schools good? its like turning the handle on one of those medieval coffee grinders using one of those old mitchells :D

Back