• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Reel advice

Thanks everybody for the help, i need to find a daiwa GS 3000 and 4000 to look at i think, or mini BR

Hi Richard,
To give you an idea of size, below from left to right is a Shimano 4000D, a Daiwa GS 4000 and a Daiwa GS 3000. I think for your needs I would go for the 4000 size in the GS reels. The 4000 spool says it takes 300 yds of 10lb, the 3000 spool says 185 yds of 10lb. Hope it helps

Dave

Attachments

• IMG_1043.JPG
    IMG_1043.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 1,315
  • IMG_1045.JPG
    IMG_1045.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 640
Hi Richard,
To give you an idea of size, below from left to right is a Shimano 4000D, a Daiwa GS 4000 and a Daiwa GS 3000. I think for your needs I would go for the 4000 size in the GS reels. The 4000 spool says it takes 300 yds of 10lb, the 3000 spool says 185 yds of 10lb. Hope it helps

Dave
Brilliant Dave thanks, yes i agree 100% the 4000 GS looks spot on, it will be just getting used to not having the backwind which i do use, butas long as the clutch is good then no worries.

One reel that does look good enough and the spool is a good size, and tbh looks very much like the Cadence but without that price tag is the Matrix Aquos 5000

No.
But what it does come with is state of the art gearing and a refined clutch.
I suggest you try one out.
I haven’t had one of these Ci4 reels apart but going by the shimano trend of the others I know all too well (OC, D, aeroX) the only noticeable difference an angler is going to feel between a thunnus and a D is weight saving.
by “state of the art gearing” what do you mean? The design internally is not going to be any different. It might be a harder wearing metal but we ain’t going to notice that unless we start stripping gears in less expensive shimano reels. (Very unlikely)
the clutch isn’t state of the art either it’s an old tried and tested design that’s worked excellent for years . 3500B’s had a clutch that was flawless and In a nut shell it’s just steel and carbon washers under compression built into the spool. Same on all front drag shimanos that I’ve stripped and serviced time after time.
it may well have an extra bearing..... where though and what does that mean? I’ve seen 20 quid reels claiming 8 bearings but 6 of them are practically pointless.

point being I’m sure as it’s a 200 quid plus top of the range shimano reel it’s going to be a very lovely thing but suggesting to Terry he should try one out for those 2 reasons........ he’ll get the exact same experience from trying out a D All be it a few ounces heavier and a huge amount cheaper.

As well as a slight weight saving over the Ds, I have noticed the Thunnus being the smoother in operation than the Ds over extended use although there's not a lot in it.
Ime pretty sure in 5 years time of equal use the Thunnus will retain its tight smooth gearing.They are both very good reels.Screenshot_2020-08-20-00-32-50.jpg

I’m sure if I spent £200 on a Daiwa it would have a far superior clutch .... And it wouldn’t look like it’s come out of a Christmas cracker

just got myself one of these £65.00 only down side is no spare spool.

Daiwa_Black_Widow_BR_Reel_LT_1_1.jpg

I like to use the reel for chub and barbel hence two spools one for 6lb line the other for 10lb line.

Back