• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Reel advice

Richard Burton

Good afternoon all, lookingfor some advice.
I am mainly into any species fishing across the board so normally reel choice not a problem as in shimano aero feeder reels for long range and general feeder fishing in Ireland and over here and shimano techniums 3000 for my float work.
But, im looking for a reel not baitrunners which i have the shimano 5000’s, but something that i can put some 8 and 10lb line on and use for a bit of roaming along a stretch of river of an evening with meat or pellet, tiny leads then maybe settle into a swim I pre baited before going for a wander for a couple Of hours first.
looking for something less bulky than the 5000 baitrunners, and due to using heavy line say 10lb which i may not need for a stroll alng the pegs but may certainly need for the last couple of hours, then i need a largish spool to assist casting with small leads.
any ideas gents?

I was just cleaning up a Technium 6000, to put up for sale.

Good afternoon all, lookingfor some advice.
I am mainly into any species fishing across the board so normally reel choice not a problem as in shimano aero feeder reels for long range and general feeder fishing in Ireland and over here and shimano techniums 3000 for my float work.
But, im looking for a reel not baitrunners which i have the shimano 5000’s, but something that i can put some 8 and 10lb line on and use for a bit of roaming along a stretch of river of an evening with meat or pellet, tiny leads then maybe settle into a swim I pre baited before going for a wander for a couple Of hours first.
looking for something less bulky than the 5000 baitrunners, and due to using heavy line say 10lb which i may not need for a stroll alng the pegs but may certainly need for the last couple of hours, then i need a largish spool to assist casting with small leads.
any ideas gents?
Pulzar-baitfeeder-reel.jpg

Okuma Pulzar 4000? Cracking reel light, two spools, they can be got for around £40, but have sold well so need to search.

Personally i would use the aero feeder
Nice and light for roving and more than capable of landing Barbel with a super smooth clutch.The aero feeder is what I use for float fishing and feeder work as well as an x aero on another rod.The aero feeder and my Thunnus are the best and favourite reels I've owned for a very long time.

I agree cracking reels but they are going to take some knocking about and as said they seem a bit sensative lol.
Daiwa GS 4000 looks ok for the job

I think Richard was looking for a non-baitrunner. Maybe a Daiwa GS LTD. Comes in a 3000 or 4000 size.
I have Aeros Shimano 2500, Stradics, and a few more, this little gem is as good if not better, the fact its a baitrunnrr for me makes no difference, except the convenience aspect. Very compact.

I agree cracking reels but they are going to take some knocking about and as said they seem a bit sensative lol.
I think Ju
I know Julian Cundiff uses the GS 4000 ,so if they are good enough for him. Reckon you could get away with the 3000 aswell thou.

Surprised no one has mentioned the 4000D or 4000OC.
very compact light reels that lend them selves perfectly to Avon rods. ok so they have a Baitrunner facility but no one is forcing you to use it. I used one on my Harrison Avon 1.25 at the weekend. Balances up very nicely. I love the D’s so much I’ve got 5 of them.

I love my Daiwa Theory 4000 SP its cracker of a reel. Compact, light and has a great clutch. Hard to find these days though. Perfect match up with my 11’ 1.75 Torrix.

Back