• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Red letter day.

Richard Isaacs

Senior Member & Supporter
I’m not usually one for talking about my captures and so far the nene has been quite mean to me this season with just 1 fish for 5 evening sessions while others around on the stretch seem to be getting the luck.
this evening however I made the decision to go for a few hours as I knew it was going to be quiet with the pubs being rammed.
my go to tactics haven’t been doing the business recently and I’ve not caught a single fish on ledgered boilie (my only fish this season up until tonight was caught on freelined paste)
I decided to fish with my usual particle mix but this time using the particles as bait as well as the free offerings. So a piece of maize and a chickpea on the hair went straight into an inside line that I’d trickled some freebies into. 2nd cast, rod doubles right over and I have a small nene fish of 8.15. Happy boy . Kept on with the same tactics and nothing else in there so as the light started to drop I took on an outside line that I’d placed a spopper into with some particles. Same bait again and at 9:55 the rod slammed over and after an epic battle……. Boom 12,12 …,, a proper one!!!
at this point I only had 10 mins left to fish before lines out. So exactly the same place same bait within 2 mins she slams over again. Could not believe my luck 10,13
What a result. It’s not an easy river and with the strict time allowance you are doing very well to get a barbel out on 50% of your sessions so to get 3 in 4 hours is phenomenal. Especially when the rivers low and clear. One buzzing angler here.
Pics of the last 2 bigger fish. Only mat shots today unfortunately. I was traveling quite light.
CE67CE80-109C-4369-80AF-29B4E789C59F.jpeg
BF17D3E9-42F3-462E-BF55-F4770F09DEE9.jpeg
3F76142A-B4E9-41E1-B3D5-8B474C3BFC90.jpeg

Well sorry Rich, although I am very impressed with your superb angling skills, I am not so with regard to sloping off whilst the rest of us endured the agonies of last evening, and of course I am not one bit jealous.🤔
Thanks Neil, I’ll take the “superb angling skills” compliment for the first smallest one. That was day time fishing at its best with a small matching particle bait placed under a tree on my own bank with the intention of nailing one from its hiding place. A well executed plan😊
The other 2 although bigger more impressive fish it was getting dark and more a case of right time right place.

Back