• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Red letter day.

I’m not usually one for talking about my captures and so far the nene has been quite mean to me this season with just 1 fish for 5 evening sessions while others around on the stretch seem to be getting the luck.
this evening however I made the decision to go for a few hours as I knew it was going to be quiet with the pubs being rammed.
my go to tactics haven’t been doing the business recently and I’ve not caught a single fish on ledgered boilie (my only fish this season up until tonight was caught on freelined paste)
I decided to fish with my usual particle mix but this time using the particles as bait as well as the free offerings. So a piece of maize and a chickpea on the hair went straight into an inside line that I’d trickled some freebies into. 2nd cast, rod doubles right over and I have a small nene fish of 8.15. Happy boy . Kept on with the same tactics and nothing else in there so as the light started to drop I took on an outside line that I’d placed a spopper into with some particles. Same bait again and at 9:55 the rod slammed over and after an epic battle……. Boom 12,12 …,, a proper one!!!
at this point I only had 10 mins left to fish before lines out. So exactly the same place same bait within 2 mins she slams over again. Could not believe my luck 10,13
What a result. It’s not an easy river and with the strict time allowance you are doing very well to get a barbel out on 50% of your sessions so to get 3 in 4 hours is phenomenal. Especially when the rivers low and clear. One buzzing angler here.
Pics of the last 2 bigger fish. Only mat shots today unfortunately. I was traveling quite light.
View attachment 15677View attachment 15678View attachment 15679
8.15 isn't a small fish mate, it's a very decent fish. What I'd love to see in our eastern rivers, would be shoals of 4-7lb fish, just like the old days.

8.15 isn't a small fish mate, it's a very decent fish. What I'd love to see in our eastern rivers, would be shoals of 4-7lb fish, just like the old days.
The size of the fish is relative to the river. If I’d of caught it on the swale I’d be saying it was a belter.
for the Nene 8.15 is a small fish.

Back