• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Recommend me a line for the tidal Trent.

I used to use red line after picking some red ice up from a fishing show once and really liked it to be fair. The only reason I stopped using it was cause I couldn’t get the size I wanted when I needed a new spool so opted for gr60. It never affected catch rate and I liked the fact that it was easier to see where your line was going into the water as the light started to fade
I remember watching a Matt Hayes programme and he was using red line. The reason he gave was that the red is the first colour to disappear when light penetrates water, or something like that😃

I remember watching a Matt Hayes programme and he was using red line. The reason he gave was that the red is the first colour to disappear when light penetrates water, or something like that😃
Yeah that was probably why I picked it up as I’d seen that. Pretty sure the red ice was a tfg line.

I read somewhere that the colour red appears black below a certain depth. Maybe that's why red maggots work well. For me another thing to bear in mind is that thicker abrasion resistant lines reduce casting distance & accuracy. Which may be important in some circumstances

I used to use red line after picking some red ice up from a fishing show once and really liked it to be fair. The only reason I stopped using it was cause I couldn’t get the size I wanted when I needed a new spool so opted for gr60. It never affected catch rate and I liked the fact that it was easier to see where your line was going into the water as the light started to fade
From watching videos I reckon the worst thing about fluorocarbon line is that it's near invisible in water ... so fish may spook off it (like a cobweb on your face in a cellar etc) The colour of the line is the least most important factor for me, but (like you, Jon) I'd prefer a line I can see, rather than not.
N.b... just looked in my line box. Angling Times gave away a spool of 6lb bs RED i line. That might be the stuff you mean Jon?

8CDC4BEF-C87E-41C5-A02D-F812611AA27A.png

I think the tfg line was called red mist which was the first spool of red line I used. This was red ice one I was using. Iv just brought 2 new reels so I need some line and I’m tempted to go back to this now.
I agree Terry about fish not spooking as easily of things they can see rather than touching something they can’t see

Well, I had a few hours on a local lake yesterday. First time out since before Christmas, more to shake of the cobwebs than anything else. Fished for the notoriously evasive Tench in there. The 12lbs GR60 performed well. Cast well, no noticeable twisting. Fished at 30 and 45yds, took a while to get it to sink, but it's new line so to be expected. So far so good.

And no line behind the X-areo spool either........

;)

IMG_2890.JPG

Last edited:
Sadly not Richard. I was out for more of a get to know them type of session, but a fish would have been nice.

However, I'm recovering from a shoulder operation I had in January and boy did I feel it later that night. Lots of Naproxen and Codeine, and slept with the TENS machine on it and I just about got some sleep. Don't think I'll be going again until it's a lot better.

Sadly not Richard. I was out for more of a get to know them type of session, but a fish would have been nice.

However, I'm recovering from a shoulder operation I had in January and boy did I feel it later that night. Lots of Naproxen and Codeine, and slept with the TENS machine on it and I just about got some sleep. Don't think I'll be going again until it's a lot better.
Get yourself some cbd tea bags. They make me feel proper drowsy and the cbd oil works better than any pain killers for my my back pains

Back