• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Recommend me a line for the tidal Trent.

Simon Archer

Senior Member & Supporter
As the title.

I've just put some 12lbs GR60 on two spools just for something to do really. It gets well received on here and also on the Carp Forum, so thought I'd buy some. First time I've bought it and my first impression of it just on the reel is that it's a little wiry and springy. Hopefully in use it'll be different. My last/other reel line is the bog standard Korda carp line, which I like, but thought I try something different. Previous to that I used Daiwa Sensor, which I didn't like. Spun up too much for my liking. As I've come from a match fishing background and I'm used to 0.6, 0.7 bottoms and 2lbs - 4lbs main line, heavier lines all seem a bit stiff compared to what I used to use.

Any advice would be welcome.

Arch.

Like you, I come from a match fishing background and I know what you mean about heavy lines. I fish the middle Trent and I use Berkley Trilene Big Game in 12lb. Not springy or wirey and robust. Well I like it. I understand that line is a very personal thing!

Gardner Hydrotuff or Berkley Big Game

The problem with asking such a question is, most anglers will reply "I've used XYZ line for years and its never let me down" so you could end up being faced with a choice from half a dozen or more lines which are apparently faultless. I think you need to express what the most important qualities of a line are to you, and then you may get a more 'targeted' response. That is, what is it you want from a line ... what is/are its most important quality?

The problem with asking such a question is, most anglers will reply "I've used XYZ line for years and its never let me down" so you could end up being faced with a choice from half a dozen or more lines which are apparently faultless. I think you need to express what the most important qualities of a line are to you, and then you may get a more 'targeted' response. That is, what is it you want from a line ... what is/are its most important quality?

Yes I realise it's a "how long is a piece of string" type question, and I also realise I'll get lots of differing opinions. But It's nice to gauge what others are doing. I'm after a good, tough, supple (as supple as it can be) 12lbs or 15lbs line that'll take the abuse that the TT will throw at it. I suppose suppleness being the No 1 priority, if that's possible in a line of that poundage.

The Korda Carp line in 12lbs was fine and I'd use it again. It seemed supple enough for 12lbs line, tied up well and fished well. GR60 gets lots of good reviews, so I though I'd try it and see for myself. First impressions of it on the reel aren't that good for me. Obviously I'll need to fish with it to see how it performs. Lots of people like GR60, so I'll have to see how I get on with it. I've got two other spools I can fill, and with the TT in mind, I thought I'd ask the question.

ESP synchro XT in 15lb as standard - been reliable for me both on the river & still waters for the carp. It's very tough, good diameter and does not lose strength via a well tied knot.
Another recommendation for the same from me. Been using it in 10lb or 12lb on the Hants Avon for the last couple of seasons. No complaints whatsoever, exceptional stuff in my opinion.

The 12lb has also been up to the test of the River Wye’s boulders & rocks, when I’ve been lucky enough to get over there.

As Simon says, it’s available in 15lb and they do an 18lb too.

Another vote for esp syncro xt, used the 15lb on the Tidal and snag strewn stretches of the middle. I've been really impressed with the stuff👍

Yes I realise it's a "how long is a piece of string" type question, and I also realise I'll get lots of differing opinions. But It's nice to gauge what others are doing. I'm after a good, tough, supple (as supple as it can be) 12lbs or 15lbs line that'll take the abuse that the TT will throw at it. I suppose suppleness being the No 1 priority, if that's possible in a line of that poundage.

The Korda Carp line in 12lbs was fine and I'd use it again. It seemed supple enough for 12lbs line, tied up well and fished well. GR60 gets lots of good reviews, so I though I'd try it and see for myself. First impressions of it on the reel aren't that good for me. Obviously I'll need to fish with it to see how it performs. Lots of people like GR60, so I'll have to see how I get on with it. I've got two other spools I can fill, and with the TT in mind, I thought I'd ask the question.
Hi Simon, yes I guessed that 'limpness' would be high on your list of 'wants', but seeing as you're fishing the TT then you'll need 'tough' too ... and in my experience those two qualities are almost mutually exclusive! That is, soft line ain't tough line ... so it'll always be a compromise. If I want tough I'd invariably use Profish Ghostline (but hard to source these days), if I wanted limp I'd probably go for Silstar Matchteam (a great all-round line, especially for float fishing IME), and as a compromise I settled on Krystonite ... which is 'unfashionable' these days but has served me well over the last 10+ years. Every angler will have their own favourite, and it comes down to 'suck (or cast) it and see'.

Simon for what its worth I fish the TT and other (snaggy) rivers and use Korum 15 lb bs (in green) mono. It's abrasion resistant, seems to have good knot strength (using a 4 turn grinner knot) and has the right amount of stretch and is not too expensive. Although the latter is not something I quibble about. I've used other brands over the years and this does me fine. Using large leads etc on the TT puts a lot of strain on the tackle and it copes just fine. It's also not springy and lays well on the spool of a good fixed spool reel. I also the Korum line (in other breaking strains) for my tench and pike fishing.

Simon the Gardner GR60 line is toe rope. It’s as strong and reliable as lines get but supple it ain’t. It’s very much a “get a the job done” type line and it’s popular with barbel anglers because it will extract fish from snag pits.
I used it for years and yeah it’s great but I’ve swapped to something abit more supple now and simply gone up in diameter and strength so not to lose the qualities I liked about the 12lb GR60. I use 16lb or 18lb fox Exocet now. Been using it in conjunction with korda N trap and nash claw hooks for coming up 3 years now. I like it a lot because it lays very nice when flat and on the spool. Be aware though if you go down the same route then you’ll want to be doing the same and go for the 16lb breaking strain to obtain a decent diameter.

Are there any options on line colour? I use clear line in the hope that it is less visible to the fish. Do any of you use coloured lines and think that it makes no difference?

12lb GR60 clear is ultra reliable. If you have just spooled up with it then stick with it - the springyness won’t be an issue in use.

16lb GLT Pro-Clear is also excellent, same diameter (0.34mm) as 12lb GR60 but slightly suppler and stronger. Walkers still have it in stock.

Are there any options on line colour? I use clear line in the hope that it is less visible to the fish. Do any of you use coloured lines and think that it makes no difference?
I think so long as they ain’t swimming into it they don’t seem to care.
the angle of the main line or length of the hook length are more important imo than main line colour.

Thanks for the replies. Interesting reading. Syncro was a line I was considering, so that's a positive.

From my matchfishing background, all my feeder fishing was done with Maxima or Braid with a Maxima shocker. No one use Maxima for Barbel fishing ??

Back