• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Recently Locked Thread

Some of us never forget. In fact I hear that a group have got together to buy the guy a pint for every time he reports you to the EA next year:rolleyes::D

Instead of being single minded one species anglers ,and fishermen who by the very nature are solitary ,and nocturnal in many cases,you have to embrace the pleasure and match anglers at your clubs,THEY are the ones who keep clubs afloat ,not by license monies,but by hard work and dedication.
And in those clubs,9 times out of 10 it is dedicated committee men ,driven by overworked Chairman and Sec ,who probably do 80% of all the work,including bank clearing and bailiffing.

There seems to be an ethos amongs't speci anglers to moan like hell about the pleasure and match anglers running the clubs and setting up silly rules that dont suit them,but the reality is ,they are the only ones prepared to get of there butts and put the time in ,when you are sat at home waiting for it to get dark.

I am seeing some brilliant clubs re emerging in the west midlands ,old established ones with dynamic leadership and enthusiasm ,who are getting full books ,and loads of great,well managed waters ,many of them bought and paid for .
Kinver Freeliners,Birmingham Anglers ,White Swan AC,Ross AC , Hereford and District, have all done a fantastic job recently in these hard economic times,there are countless others I could name that I come into contact with work also very well managed.

One way is to fish for all species ,summer and winter,that way ,when conditions are not right for Barbel ,you turn your enthusiasm to whatever is the best option.

Don't be just a night owl,get down and enjoy the sunsets and the dawns,take a camera and shoot some great scenic shots,learn how to use settings on your camera other than P and Auto modes.

Go Fly Fishing on a small river for winter Grayling,or trotting maggots and worms .

Pick up a Beachcaster and try fishing a remote beach for Bass,or join the twinkling Tilly lamp brigade on a frosty pebble beach,like Chesil in Dorset on a winters night,well wrapped up,but hauling plump,tasty Codling and Whiting ,all magic,embracing,invigorating experiences ,the sea air will do wonders in lifting your mood,the crashing surf and suck of undertow scaring you with it's unpredictable power.

Above all share your experiences with others,and the fuel bills,be more social,make the day out the experience,the memories and photos,the laughs ,and the craic with your mates.:)

Does it really matter that it is not a double ? Who cares about your PB list when you are gone.:(

Live each day,pack as much in as you can ,don't worry how far,how expensive ,what others think ,life is here and now ,get out there and live the dream !:)
Well said Chris, particularly about the Clubs. They are the backbone of angling.
Your bit about beach fishing has almost inspired me to return to the sea side this winter...it's been a while now and most of my more recent sea fishing has been summer fly fishing for mackerel! But those cold, wet and wild nights during the winter can be amzing...so I may have to get the old beachcaster out.
Most modern anglers already have the right gear as they use beachcaster for Barbel fishing .......

looks to me like this poaching problem will go on and on untill theres no fish left, perhaps a few vidjulante groups may solve the problem to protect our rivers and lakes?

Instead of being single minded one species anglers ,and fishermen who by the very nature are solitary ,and nocturnal in many cases,you have to embrace the pleasure and match anglers at your clubs,THEY are the ones who keep clubs afloat ,not by license monies,but by hard work and dedication.
And in those clubs,9 times out of 10 it is dedicated committee men ,driven by overworked Chairman and Sec ,who probably do 80% of all the work,including bank clearing and bailiffing.

There seems to be an ethos amongs't speci anglers to moan like hell about the pleasure and match anglers running the clubs and setting up silly rules that dont suit them,but the reality is ,they are the only ones prepared to get of there butts and put the time in ,when you are sat at home waiting for it to get dark.

I am seeing some brilliant clubs re emerging in the west midlands ,old established ones with dynamic leadership and enthusiasm ,who are getting full books ,and loads of great,well managed waters ,many of them bought and paid for .
Kinver Freeliners,Birmingham Anglers ,White Swan AC,Ross AC , Hereford and District, have all done a fantastic job recently in these hard economic times,there are countless others I could name that I come into contact with work also very well managed.

One way is to fish for all species ,summer and winter,that way ,when conditions are not right for Barbel ,you turn your enthusiasm to whatever is the best option.

Don't be just a night owl,get down and enjoy the sunsets and the dawns,take a camera and shoot some great scenic shots,learn how to use settings on your camera other than P and Auto modes.

Go Fly Fishing on a small river for winter Grayling,or trotting maggots and worms .

Pick up a Beachcaster and try fishing a remote beach for Bass,or join the twinkling Tilly lamp brigade on a frosty pebble beach,like Chesil in Dorset on a winters night,well wrapped up,but hauling plump,tasty Codling and Whiting ,all magic,embracing,invigorating experiences ,the sea air will do wonders in lifting your mood,the crashing surf and suck of undertow scaring you with it's unpredictable power.

Above all share your experiences with others,and the fuel bills,be more social,make the day out the experience,the memories and photos,the laughs ,and the craic with your mates.:)

Does it really matter that it is not a double ? Who cares about your PB list when you are gone.:(

Live each day,pack as much in as you can ,don't worry how far,how expensive ,what others think ,life is here and now ,get out there and live the dream !:)

one of the best posts ive ever read
cheers
jerry

I was at wedding (in Ibiza) last week and just sat down to the banquet only to find we were having poached salmon for the fish course. I checked the kitchen and there were definitely no EEs about. Then I realised my policeman cousin had brought his Polish fiancé. I couldn't very well blame her, could I?!

Imagine my embarrassment when I realised I'd misunderstood :D:D

Great post, Chris :)

Back