• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Recently Locked Thread

David Potter

I started a thread about a serious possible problem on the Wye and for some reason SOME of you guys turned it into a slagging competion which has ended up in the thread being locked
What the hell is wrong with some of you this site is about Barbel Fishing !
I am not impressed
Dave

Last edited:
can you reassure me that non of them are fishing purely for sport? and that no other ethnic background is poaching barbel from the wye or any other river for that matter?

Sam,
there is absolutely no doubt that a minority of the EEs living in the area poach the river Wye on a regular basis. Can you reassure me that they are fishing purely for sport?
thanks,
Tim
So it's only sport if its catch and release?

It's surely not sport to put them in a bin bag and take them home.
Pete,
I'm not sure where you are coming from with that response but i guess we need to keep some sort of perspective on this "sport" of ours. Sam, there is a well known issue with EE's taking fish for the table, not just on the Wye, and it can be irksome to "English" style anglers who generally only tale salmonids and trout for food these days. Let's not have another thread degenerate into confrontation and infighting, TBH i'm getting very close to stopping having anything to do with BFW due to a small minority that seem to take great delight in slagging people off and nothing constructive to say on here.

Regards to all,

Jeff

I'm not slagging any one off, just asking a question.
And I think many of my posts are constructive, including my contributions to the now locked threads that suggested a coarse of action to take to help deal with poachers rather than making threats on their lives.

Angling is a blood sport, part of hunting. In order to ensure that our prey survive a good hunter doesn't kill more than he needs or in such an amount that it threatens the species. On this basis I don't pe3rsonally kill fish in rivers in the UK (salmonids included). But I don't automatically think that because some one does kill and eat their prey it is no longer a sport.

I realise that in modern PC times anglers seek to distance themselves from other blood sports, but catching and releasing fish is no more sporting than catching and eating them. It should be conservation that drives catch and release rather than some idea of what is and isn't sport imposed on us by an intolerant politically correct anti hunting society.

Serious possible problem

Lads
For the right reasons I hope Tim is wrong but he does sound pretty peed off with em !
Think Sam (and me) are interested to hear facts and numbers regarding alledged EE poaching and if the source of information is reliable.

Hate hearing the phrases
"lost count of the number of times I have.."
and "it is well known by many that..."
etc etc which in legal terms I am sure will get very short shift.

Anyway, sure Tim can offer some more info :)

Apologise Mr Potter if this thread is also "possibly" turning

Plenty of EEs on the Nene & on the Tidal Trent. Only recently the EA took details of over a dozen of EEs on a popular stretch of the Tidal - the kind of semi successful raid (if they'd come earlier they'd have caught more) was undertaken by boat! How much fact do you want? I think that certain areas of the country are effected by this more than others. If one has not witnessed this then consider oneself lucky.

Mark,
when I said that a minority of the local EEs are poaching, I meant that they are fishing without the permission of the owners of the relevant fishing rights.

Anyone who has fished a variety of Wye stretches on a regular basis is likely to have witnessed these acts of poaching. On 4 occasions so far this season I have asked people if they have permission to fish, and they have all replied with a convincing EE accent. Whether or not they were taking fish for the table I can't confirm, because none of them had any dead fish on display and I didn't search any of them.

That is as much info as I can offer at this time...

I started a thread about a serious possible problem on the Wye and for some reason SOME of you guys turned it into a slagging competion which has ended up in the thread being locked
What the hell is wrong with some of you this site is about Barbel Fishing !
I am not impressed
Dave

ok david , seeing as i contributed to that thread in a manner you didnt like or expect .....

my initial comment was somewhat tongue in cheek believe it or not , but as sometimes happens on a forum the written word can be taken the wrong way , but i can also see why that happened .

most of my posts where driving at the fact that people can easily shout on here and other forums ''they would be right in'' etc etc over a situation like the one you presented , when realisticly they wouldnt

the point i also attempted to make was if somebody is so enthusiastic , why not channel those energies into helping with the problem rather than just taking from the sport

if any of the above are taken as antagonistic , aggressive or what ever you want to label them with , then i really am dealing with delicate little flowers

apologies though for your thread getting locked

Sticking to the point without an argument!! I was fishing a stretch of the tidal Trent which had a few EE's fishing it, 2 of em were brilliant in it like the rest of us (not a problem with) but the group of three which had a BBQ on the go I did go and have a few firm words as I knew what was going to happen!! But also a few week prior to this the bailiff of the stretch was set about by some EE's that was refusing to pay, they left him in a bad way which to me is disgusting when the bloke is doing his job.

Place where I work is full of EE's twice I have removed carrier bags full of perch ( 3 - 4 oz fish ) from the fridges meant for products bought from factory shops , fact they are emptying the drains round Boston , fact they know its wrong but dont give a stuff because its their culture and they do it back home , fact until the powers that be come down on these people hard nothing will stop them , fact I also have EE's I work with who fish same as us , catch and release who have had serious ( close to blows ) words with those who take fish for the table and the biggest fact they dont kill the fish they catch they just toss them in the carrier bags alive and let them suffocate , if the anti angling brigade saw that do you reckon they would be bothered that they were EE's or just anglers that they can show in a bad light

Your last point is very relevant Robert but oddly enough the antis might not quite see it that way. We only have to look to Germany where the antis forced through the law that all fish must be killed to prove there is a "purpose" to catching them; that angling is not just a barbaric practise carried out to satisfy the blood lust in our genes. In other words,it's OK to fish for the table but not for the pleasure of fishing in it's own right.
We live in such a bizarre and ridiculous world at the moment that the antis may well champion those who kill all they catch.

Place where I work is full of EE's twice I have removed carrier bags full of perch ( 3 - 4 oz fish ) from the fridges meant for products bought from factory shops , fact they are emptying the drains round Boston , fact they know its wrong but dont give a stuff because its their culture and they do it back home , fact until the powers that be come down on these people hard nothing will stop them , fact I also have EE's I work with who fish same as us , catch and release who have had serious ( close to blows ) words with those who take fish for the table and the biggest fact they dont kill the fish they catch they just toss them in the carrier bags alive and let them suffocate , if the anti angling brigade saw that do you reckon they would be bothered that they were EE's or just anglers that they can show in a bad light

Well said Robert. However, I think you will find you are banging your head against the wall in presenting facts to some of the members of this forum. You will find that some have been so brain-washed by the new doctrine of political correctness that no amount of facts will change their outlook.

If these people saw an EE with his passport in one hand, a harpoon in the other and a bag full of fish on his shoulder, they would swear it was a 'racist bigot' (their favourite name for a realist) made up to get the innocent EE's a bad name :D

Cheers, Dave.

I agree with Jeff, I too have been thinking about jacking this forum in, mainly because I cant be doing with the PC lot on here, who it seems are wrapped in cotton wool and refuse to believe what is going on.
Yes I have also stated, that the EE's cant be soley blamed, as there are many other nationalities at it. But please dont come on here protecting those that are damaging our sport.
But the fact is, im very passionate about english rivers, and dread the day when I have children and cant take them fishing anywhere but commercials...because I do believe, that the rate the fish are being taken, the rivers will be baron.
just like the rivers in some EE countries.

I actually have the opposite issue, I am sick of all the people ranting on about otters and EEs, threads that go pages and pages but if anyone posts anything about the REAL ISSUES facing our rivers, like abstraction, effluent protein skimming, control of released pollutants, and habitat destruction they are lucky to get more than a dozen replies..........

Everyone seems very keen to bang their chests and shout at others but ask them to actually do anything, they run for the hills, most just want to complain because they go fishing and blank and it is because of EEs and otters, what total and utter trash!!!

It is not so long ago that most rivers had otters and most English people took fish for the table, although we had fewer people, less water demand and less sewage..........

Here we go, how about every BFW member only clean his car once a month and then with a bucket and not a hosepipe. Every BFW member contact your local club and tell them you want to give up one fishing session a month and do some habitat improvement, clearing, tidying work, etc...........

Back