• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Ray Walton Rolling ‘ pin’

David Craine

Senior Member & Supporter
Hi, anybody know anything about a new “lightweight” rolling pin that is due to be released shortly ?

David

I was speaking to a retailer earlier , who said he was expecting the new”lightweight” in soon. My fear is that the manufacturers will start to drill big holes in the backplate to reduce weight, I hate the look of these new design centrepins with everything possible removed to take a half ounce off here or there.
If the New “pin has such a design then I will be looking for a mint second hand Mk 2 . I wonder, will the new pin be a
Mk 3 ?
As a point of interest I e.mailed J.W Young today, as their website stated that the new”pin is silver anodised, which is another thing I am not keen on, I recieved an e.mail reply quite quickly stating that the new reels are in fact black anodised. I perhaps should have asked for a better description of the new pin, but hey ho, I will wait and see what comes along .

David.

If you want a cheap, lightweight pin with side cast capabilities reel look at the Shakespeare / Alvey Lincoln . . .surprisingly good fun to use!

SWMBO found a supplier with the last reel of this years stock. I had a nice suprise this mornng , new boxed Rolling pin arrived !
Giving it an outing tomorrow.
Having read so many conflicting reviews of it both on here and elsewhere I reserve judgement until I have given it a workout . I normally use a Free Spirit Searcher, so ignoring the sidecast application, I do have something to compare it against .

David.

Do you chaps who use mono on side casting pins not find you get really bad line twist? I've never used one so wouldn't know, but seems like it must be problematic?

I've never used one but a mate had one and said the line twist he got with it was terrible, so much so he was trying to get rid of it at a bargain price.
I don't see the point of them myself, learn to pull/wallis cast, which can't be that hard if I can manage it, or just use a fixed spool.

I've never used one but a mate had one and said the line twist he got with it was terrible, so much so he was trying to get rid of it at a bargain price.
I don't see the point of them myself, learn to pull/wallis cast, which can't be that hard if I can manage it, or just use a fixed spool.
Sidecast pin, people likes it or hates it. It works well with braid, or as Ray Walton suggested, use low stretch mono.

I agree there’s no point to use it if you can Wallis cast, and that’s why I have one but I don’t use it much. Maybe will give it another try this winter for rolling meat.

Actually, sidecast pin is designed for people who has problem with casting but still want to use the pin.

I can wallace cast,as well as most, and better than some, and find it easy enough with a float, but when the casting load is heavier, I.E with a feeder, and at a distance,it does seem to become more problematiical, especially in the dark when a lot of my fishing is done.
I use my other pin by peeling line off to the distance I want, and laying it out in front of me, cast then fixed spool style it works well enough but again in the darkness it can go wrong. Fly fishermen have worked that way for eons, if its good enough for them then it is good enough for me..in moderation and when I can see what I am doing.

I would never look down on anybody using a fixed spool or a centrepin, or a Rolling pin, after all they are all tools designed for a purpose .

I much prefer playing fish on a “pin to a fixed spool, just my preference , although I do use fixed spools regularly , to me, no matter how expensive the fixed spool is it is still a couple of gears and a vertical to horizontal gear train away from a pin and always will be.

I wanted to have the versitility of a fixed spool and also the “one to one” feeling of a centrepin when playing a fish.. The Rolling “pin would seem to provide that combination. I will know , at least as far as casting is concerned tomorrow.

So far as braid is concerned, well I will give it a miss as I do not use it at all in freshwater, especially when using a cane rod with low Bridge line guides, , I will though take the advice and try using a low stretch line , Drennan double strength or similar

David

Last edited:
I use my other pin by peeling line off to the distance I want, and laying it out in front of me,
When I read this I thought you are going to hold the feeder and throw it into the water 😆

I normally use underarm Wallis cast for accuracy, and I found I can cast heavy lead further with a stronger rod. I can cast a 2oz lead to 20-30 yards with a 2lb TC rod, but with my 1.25lb Avon, 10-15 yards is a very good result.

One more thing, when loading the ray Walton pin, it is better to fully loaded it like the fixed spool reel.
No, about 50m should be sufficient. I'd say the Rolling Pin is a compromise; not as good to cast as a fixed spool, and not as good for playing fish as a larger 'pin (on account of it being 3.75"). Always good as an option on the second rod IMO.

No, about 50m should be sufficient. I'd say the Rolling Pin is a compromise; not as good to cast as a fixed spool, and not as good for playing fish as a larger 'pin (on account of it being 3.75"). Always good as an option on the second rod IMO.
That’s my thought initially and how I did it as well. But I read a post by Ray Walton about how he loses his pin, backed up with lots line, and about 100m braid loaded to the the edge of the reel. AndI tried it, and it does improve the casting performance.

Back