• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Ray Walton Centrepin

Jim Collins

Morning all, I hope Santa's been kind. Does anyone have experience of the side cast? my question being, do you find that the line coming off at one angle and being retrieved at another causes line twist? My only experience of using c/p's with this facility dates back to the 1950's when we used "Adaptor Casts" which were fitted between the rod and reel seat and performed the same function. We used to find the line twist was considerable after a few casts. I realize line technology has moved on a long way from those days so maybe the lines are better at dealing with it now. Many thanks and a Happy New Year, Jim :)
ps It's a shame the Adaptor Cast isn't still manufactured, it was a very inexpensive way of converting any c/p to side cast whatever the price or make.

Last edited:
Jim, i use two Walton pins and i do not suffer from line twist, but then i do not cast too far.

They are great bits of kit but they do suffer from a small wobble when playing a fish but to be honest i don't really notice it too much now. I do however know many people who have passed on their Walton's in favour of a normal centre pin.

Thanks for the tip Steve. It's my next door neighbour who's thinking of getting one and he ask my advice, so I said I'd try and get some good advice for him. Take care Jim:).

My Walton pin lasted about 10seconds on a Teme Barbel ,the twisting on the handle is hideous,and it is like cotton reel size wise ,was replaced by Masterline with a Bob James Lightweight ,which is fabulous when I do use it,usually on small river fishing.

Don't buy one Jim,they are pretty ,but not up to the job ,imho,much better is available.

I love my 'Rolling Pin' - have had Barbel from big and small rivers on it - think the biggest I've had on it is an 11-1 from the Lower Severn fishing mid river!

I've always used Powerpro braid on it as mainline and never had a twist problem. However, it does seem to divide people down the middle... it is a bit pricey as well although I picked mine up on ebay for a bargain.

My Walton pin lasted about 10seconds on a Teme Barbel ,the twisting on the handle is hideous,and it is like cotton reel size wise ,was replaced by Masterline with a Bob James Lightweight ,which is fabulous when I do use it,usually on small river fishing.

Don't buy one Jim,they are pretty ,but not up to the job ,imho,much better is available.
really, a bigger version should now come out like 4.5.

That's part of why i like mine so much, because i have small hands.

I have had some very good fish on my pins and they have more than held their own but it is each to their own.

The first Mk1 Rolling Pin has no twist to the front locking device, (which is simpler to use). The newer version MK2 'has', which stops the reel turning when playing a big fish. However, if you read the instructions there is really no problem with either if you already know how to use and play a fish on a pin in the normal way. The turning spool to the front feature is a great advantage for easy distant and accurate casting and saves learning the wallis cast etc which can be a pain and especially in windy conditions. There is always a deliberate slight play in the turning mechanism to allow the feature to work correctly. Over time with wear and tear, it may loosen and create the 'wobble' on the switch as mentioned, but it can be easily tightened back up yourself or by sending it back to JW Young/Masterline. Really, there is no problem if you use it correctly! I have not changed back to a fixed spool or other pin since the MK1 Rolling Pin was introduced in 1996 and the MK2 around 2003 onwards and have hooked, played and landed an untold amount of 15's, 3 different 17's (including the British Record) and an 18.13 with absolutely no problems whatsoever. If one of my pins becomes a bit loose from wear and tear (just like car parts), I send it back to have it tightened, or have a new switch fitted, if necessary, which is usually free of charge to anyone anyway. As mentioned, everyone to his own.
As with line twist, i also use braid which virtually eliminates it. If you use mono and have problems, try changing to a pre-stretched mono like the old Drennen Double strength or other, but go well above the breaking strain you would normally use as it is a lot thinner.

Last edited:
Ray - if you're using braid on a 'pin, what bs would you normally use? I usually use GR60 mono in 12lb, so looking for a braid equivalent of that, really, in terms of abrasion resistance and strength.

What a load of bottom talk!!

Makes me laugh that people can slag off a product on the net just because they don't like it. But hey what do Youngs know about reel making and RW know about Barbel fishing.

Last edited:
It would be nice if Youngs were to actually make some bloody reels again.

Can i also add...............

I would not swap mine for any other pin, i love using them and will keep on using them.

What a load of bottom talk!!

Makes me laugh that people can slag off a product on the net just because they don't like it. But hey what do Youngs know about reel making and RW know about Barbel fishing.

I do not think he was "slagging it off" I would say the clue was where he wrote IMHO which translated as imparting his own opinion and experience which of course you can choose to disagree with. Your analogy falls short as well as BMW know a lot about making cars but they still break down from time to time.

That's just it, one person has a problem with a product and yep they must be all rubbish and why not make sure you let everyone know it. So it lasted 10 seconds, yeah right. Had mine years, perfect for the job it was designed for.

I bought a new Guitar a month back and it had a faulty component. Maybe I should of gone on a website and "dissed" the company in front of other Guitarists. Or maybe ring the company and get it sorted.

Hmm let me think about that one.!!

Hi Mark, i think the Flick'em will be dusted down and re-loaded with some line for Saturday, i will be packing a fixed spool as well just incase it drives me nuts again LOL

Hi men,

Tom, I will be putting my baitrunner on a top of the range split cane Barder , now that's worth a pic :D.

Hatter

Back