• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

R.I.P Heather

Judge you say Adrian, well from an impartial view point I fail to see where Julian was judging you, maybe questioning but certainly not judging.

Adrian Wrote:
"Wise words Paul, fishing has never been more than a pastime to me, my priorities have always been family, finances, friends and finally fishing."

I suggest it would be more accurate if written as:
Wise words Paul, fishing has never been more than a pastime to me, my priorities have always been family, finances, friends, ripping into others I feel are my inferiors, slating anything remotely connected to the BS and finally fishing.

Last edited:
I can't quite believe that folks a squabbling over a dead fish.:confused::eek::D;)

No need for that Colin, Ade's opinion is as valid as the next mans and what rattled you anyway?

Tony you are right, Ade like myself has opinions and they are of equal validity
BUT
Only need look at the website that Ade is an administrator on, nuff said really?!

Last edited:
Oh dear, It was meant to be a thread for paying a little respect to a great fish, or to swap a fishy tale or 2 for anyone lucky enough to have angled for her, unfortunatly like quite a few threads things go off on a tangent

James, Are you Marks son? If so I know your dad so I do appreciate where you are coming from, however, I stand by every word I've written.

The very fact that this thread has gone to 4 pages while a similar thread for a deceased human being (R.I.P. Charlie Bettell) has only had 6 replies proves that some of you need to take a long hard look at your priorities and remember they are only fish and fishing is a pastime....Something you do when you don't have anything important to do.:rolleyes:

I'm not particularly comfortable with the whole R.I.P thing for any animal. I find it falsely sentimental to say it about a human that I don't know personally. That's before you get onto the whole religious connotation of the phrase which puts me off using it even more. I don't know any fish personally, even ones I've caught and said hello to over the years. I certainly don't have any emotional attachment to any fish. For those reasons I can't say R.I.P. and mean it. Heather was a big, famous old fish, it's dead, end of story. That doesn't mean I wished it ill or wanted it dead. I'm certainly not happy it's dead. Living creatures grow old and die, it's the way of it.

Very predictable Colin.:rolleyes:

The key word must obviously be;"predictable".
The definition being: To state, tell about, or make known in advance, especially on the basis of special knowledge.

With particular emphasis on the underlined section.
Take Ray Whittaker (aka Tarquin the Unforgiven), a fellow site administrator recent thread involving me, couple that with Mark Partridge's (aka Albert Camo) response...... Yes, this leads to my "very predictable" retort.

All in the name of humour, like <>, just a bunch of ever aging <>, with ever ballooning opinions, egos and level of condescension that never ceases to astound...... Oh to reach their level of greatness, like <>!

Colin,

You seem to be having your own conversation here, if you have a problem with a few posters on another site surely the appropriate place to discuss it is on that site not on here. I've sent you a pm.

Mods

Enough is enough. This thread has run its life and is now decending into slanging matches.
What is wrong with you guys?

Mike

And as for the early 80's, I was fishing for barbel on the Severn in those days and remember reading with astonishment about the broken families and destroyed careers which were a common result of some of the selfish obsessive behaviour demonstrated by your uncle and his cronies in pursuit of a fish. Perhaps they would have been better off spending time with their families and work and keeping things in perspective.

The above comment was unnecessarily personal and entirely unprovoked. Have your opinions by all means, but attacks like this only serve as a catalyst to the type of thread we are now witnessing.

I'm sure an apology would go a long way to finally putting this thread to rest, but I don't suppose it will happen :(

I'm sure an apology would go a long way to finally putting this thread to rest, but I don't suppose it will happen :(

Correct, and I'm sure if you were to speak to the people concerned, the disillusioned majority, those who don't make a living from the hobby, those like the burned out uncle who no longer fishes, they would agree that perhaps, given their time again, they too would take a more balanced approach to this pastime.

So please tell me how you would like me to respond to your level of intellect on here Adrian, without hurting your feelings, and others more importantly.
You see I don't know you, or wish too for that matter, but I for one wouldn't dream of rushing in on here and make out your a complete plonker, you've done it for me!

Your judging me again!:D

In case you've forgotten, you're the one who said your uncle was burned out, not me.

Julian Post #9. Just wish he still fished, I guess the spark just left him after fishing so intensely for so many years!

Don't take life so seriously Julian, its only a thread about a dead fish and fishing is only a pastime.

Last edited:
Back