• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

R.I.P Heather

Very sad news, I would loved to have landed her just once but it will never be...........

Spent a wonderful afternoon, one close season, feeding her on the surface while Bally (Chris) videoed her. Also got Basil taking mixers from less than a rod length from the bank, the same day. Mind you once the season started the defences were soon back up.

Mic

I swear,no word of a lie, but i honestly thought someone off of the forum had passed on,then i read on and now im wetting myself:D

Hi men ,

Historic fish , and 50lb English leather carp dont come along every day . I know someone who fished very very hard for years to catch it , but it avoided him , as it was a hard fish to catch .

Hatter

In response to Tony Rocca, Get yourself down to the many carp shows they have throughout the year stand up in front of everyone and say to them "get a grip its only a fish", and see what type of response you get. What you seem to forget its a way of life for some people, and is probably responsable for hundreds of friendships getting formed from anglers coming from all over the country in trying to catch her, just showing a little respect which i think the fish is due

Very nice Julian but it doesn't change a thing......It was still just a fish and no more or less worthy of respect than the piece of cod I'm having for tea.....In fact, as a semi endangered species the cod probably deserves more respect.

And as for the early 80's, I was fishing for barbel on the Severn in those days and remember reading with astonishment about the broken families and destroyed careers which were a common result of some of the selfish obsessive behaviour demonstrated by your uncle and his cronies in pursuit of a fish. Perhaps they would have been better off spending time with their families and work and keeping things in perspective.

Sadly the same madness seems to have infected barbel fishing in recent years.:rolleyes:

It is indeed a sad loss, in the context of English carp angling. A true old warrior she was. We've lost the biggest scaleless carp in the country. I agree with the post above, it's not just about Heather, it's about how fish like her are the conduit to many friendships which were formed in trying to catch these amazing fish. I believe there were similar feelings amongst the barbel fraternity when those great Adams/Kickles fish started dying off. It's a period passed into our piscatorial history chaps, beit carp, barbel or gobio gobio, (whatever takes yer fancy).

Ian

Well said Ade.

PS Its still just a fish, a big one allbeit. I have no time for folks who chase, its not what fishing is about to me.

Funeral

Sad loss indeed,Though never met the lady,anyone from BFW attending the funeral,and can let me know
where to send flowers.

RIP Howard

Benson & Heather Gone
In the land of Britannia,
They don’t remain nameless,
Revered by all anglers,
Carp achieve celebrity status.

From “Alice†of Kent,
To “Zelda†in Nottingham,
Mirrors, Leathers, Linears…
Even “The Kiss of Death Common.â€

Endless days spent baiting,
With nights full of wish,
Bivvied and waiting,
For that one special fish!

The pursuit of a named one,
Is what we all yearn,
“Heather the Leatherâ€
Fell once, to the one Terry Hearn.

And in Kingfisher Lake,
Lived “the people’s fishâ€
Benson the common,
Only sixty-three accomplish.

But late in the summer,
Of the year twenty ‘o’ nine,
It was good Ol’ Benson’s,
Time to decline.

And sadly as with all things,
Eventually, they must die,
Heather’s too swimming,
The big lake in the sky.

But we must go on,
In our camos or fleece,
Benson and Heather gone,
May you both… Rest In Peace.

A poem by PJ Garn

Having carp fished for many years, I can understand the strong feelings carp anglers have for their quarry. It's an affinity with these fish that is not shared or equaled in any other area of the sport. There is a close bond between captor and certain named fish. They are like old friends. It is a strange relationship, granted. But there it is.

As for it's just a fish, well a dog is just a dog, a cat is just a cat and a canary is just a bird, but you say that to the people that loose them and they're likely to knock your block off!

Tony, I don't suppose people take their prized koi carp out for walkies either, so your point? :p :D

Each to their own, I guess.

And my my how many of the barbel fraternity wittered on over the losses of the big girls from rivers Ouse and Wensum......

Youthful (and not so youthful) fishy obsessions: if we are anything like a fully paid-up human being, we get over them. Those who can't / don't / won't etc...? Well, they end up demanding Total Otter Death (or similar) in the Dangling Crimes. Just go fishing now and again, or as much as seems right to you, but don't define yourself and your life by doing so.

Interesting Julian, you berate me for judging others while you in turn judge me.

Wise words Paul, fishing has never been more than a pastime to me, my priorities have always been family, finances, friends and finally fishing.

Last edited:
Back