• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Quick change hook rig - Korda Hook Klips

Not sure if any of their products will be suitable or similar to ESP but bank tackle do various hooklink materials in 20m spools for the same price.
Thanks for that recommendation Bob. I had a look and ordered a few bits as a bit of a trial. Very competitive pricing and free delivery. Arrived today after ordering on Saturday night so really good service.

Haven't tried the items yet but the braid I ordered looks decent as do the hooks, both of which are significantly cheaper than mainstream brands. Plenty of others recommend their products on the internet.

Thanks for that recommendation Bob. I had a look and ordered a few bits as a bit of a trial. Very competitive pricing and free delivery. Arrived today after ordering on Saturday night so really good service.

Haven't tried the items yet but the braid I ordered looks decent as do the hooks, both of which are significantly cheaper than mainstream brands. Plenty of others recommend their products on the internet.
Have you got a time machine😄

I had my first barbel on a quick change hook rig last night. It was hooked dead centre in the bottom of the mouth. Probably coincidence but a good start none the less.

I’ve just realised that these Korda jobs are basically the same as the ESP version that I used last season !

The ESP ones work fine.

I think the kicker evolved from Jim Gibbinsons line aligner rig , basically a piece of shrink tube on the shank with the hook link coming out above the eye and through the front of the tube , the hook turns quicker this way , I’ve used it in just about every form of fishing I’ve done in the last 30 odd years , you get tremendous hook holds with a sharp hook .

I just use a short piece of braid , tie the hook on with a knotless knot then use the silicone tube line aligner style .
then tie the braid on using a allbright knot to the mainline , don’t bother with swivels etc , use a enterprise tackle adjuster stop for the feeder/lead stop .
this way it’s simple tying a new length of braid/hook on plus you have a quick way of shortening / lengthening the hook link .

Bank tackle hooks size 10 or 8 if I’m using a double boilie rig , they’re around £11 for 50 .
Yes the shrink tube kicker is excellent, it also provides confidence the hair won't unravel.

Ronnie clips; I think.
Ah right - not quite the same as they don’t have the flattened area to take the knotless knot.

After buying 20 different packets of hooks (genuinely!) and every tackle company’s kicker line aligner things I think I‘ve found a really good combination of bits to make this rig work really well. And it’s very simple indeed.

I’ll post some new pics soon as maybe someone will find it useful and it’ll save you wasting cash like I have trying various things that don‘t work. Just going to see if I can catch on this version.

38B9E14C-EC63-458B-8758-6570330116A9.jpeg

Christ, they’re small. Bought a packet of the medium ones. £4 a packet. Bound to drop the odd one. We’ll see.

They are small but they have to be really. They obviously make your hook longer when they’re covered by a kicker so you have to think about using a shorter hook.

I think the perfect hook for me to use with them is a Ridgemonkey Curve size 6. With the hook klip and a kicker on it all comes out the same size as a Ridgemonkey Medium Curve size 6 which I’ve had great success with this season.

Just been having a play about with the klips.
IMG_0824.JPG

Made one up Carp style with a size 6 Bank tackle wide gape.

IMG_0820.JPG

IMG_0821.JPG

IMG_0822.JPG

I did take a picture of a 15mm boilie attached as well, but it won't load up for some reason. I might give this rig a go rather than the knotless knot rig.

Then one with just a knotless knot.

IMG_0825.JPG

IMG_0826.JPG

Last edited:
Which rig do you prefer Simon? I think the swivel mounted boilie version is too tight to the hook so you’ll get too many chub.

i prefer the knotless knott version and use a boilie and a half so that it’s too much of a mouthful for most bream, and chub can have a pull on it before releasing when they feel the rig. That gives it the best chance for me of staying in the river so a barbel can find it.

i also prefer less metalwork on the rig. No idea if that matters!

I've got a day on the Trent tomorrow so I've put one of each on the rods to try.

Personally, I like the "Carpy" style. But I'd imagine in fast water it may not work as intended. However, as soon as you lift the bait up, the hook point does face downwards, so in theory, it should get a good hook hold in the bottom lip. I'm going to put a wafter on and see if that makes a difference. Will only be able to tell in the edge how it looks.

I know what you mean about too much metal and I tend to agree, but the Carp boys do alright with the Ronnie. I'll get some bait screws, and try them as well.

I'm guilty of sitting there with a less than perfect hook on. So if the klips work for me, it'll mean I will swap the hook over sooner - and waste less hooklength material in the process.

Well today didn't quite go to plan. I loaded the car up last night ready for an early start this morning. Went to the car at 5:30am and the car wouldn't start - flat battery. Put it on charge, but it never held any charge at all. I had noticed the battery wasn't starting the car all that well but it had been starting, so probably a good job it hadn't started at home, else I might have been stuck down some track somewhere with a dead battery if I'd have made it to the river. So £150 for a new battery, and a missed day of fishing.

Back