• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Quick change hook rig - Korda Hook Klips

I’m only a simple soul and like the KISS philosophy and can’t see the problem with just changing the hooklink when required BUT if it’s the hook you want to change I’m surprised no one has mentioned the multi rig? Doesn’t that achieve the same end without added bits ?
Exactly.

Tie a multi rig and swapping hooks is a doddle. And it works with combi rigs if you tie the braided section as a loop.

Having ssid that; my fishing mate was raving about how brilliant these Korda clips are last time we met up !

These are made for Ronnie rigs etc. If you are using them as a bottom rig; then imo they change the mechanics of hooking a Barbel. Ie the shank is heavier and making the point lighter. It should be opposite. I will bet on more hook pulls, if used this way....
As I see it where it won't work for my barbel rigs is, the need for the kicker, and my habit of using no bigger than a size 10 hook in clear daytime conditions. Even with the small size, that kicker will close the gape of the hook-off. Using a shorter shank hook to offset the weight would prob also close the gape of the hook more as well.

I can see it working with bottom baits for carp with size 6 and bigger hooks though.

As I see it where it won't work for my barbel rigs is, the need for the kicker, and my habit of using no bigger than a size 10 hook in clear daytime conditions. Even with the small size, that kicker will close the gape of the hook-off. Using a shorter shank hook to offset the weight would prob also close the gape of the hook more as well.

I can see it working with bottom baits for carp with size 6 and bigger hooks though.
It wouldn’t work for mine either but I do like the concept and if people make it work and as a result throw less hook length material away then good on them 😊

It wouldn’t work for mine either but I do like the concept and if people make it work and as a result throw less hook length material away then good on them 😊
Totally. That can only be a good thing.

I've got a whole carrier bag in my tackle store stuffed full of old used line and hooklengths. Most of those hooklengths could have been reused!

Like I said , I use a short piece of braid 4-6” , tie on hook with knotless knot , tie braid to mainline with an all bright knot and that’s it !
bank tackle hooks are cheap enough to replace as and when , your only using a short piece of braid that gets binned
hook length is infinitely adjustable with adjuster stop
no need for extra ironmongery …

Read over the previous pages and dont understand a word of it 🤣🤣🤣.

Call me old fashioned, but I just use a hook, and some mono or flouro , with a home made feeder or home made lead , or freelined bait and it seems to work for me.

David
With you on this David . Without googling the words I honestly do not know what is being talked about here ,wafter , ronnie rig , aligners, kicker ? Line , hook ,lead , bait , that's it for me . I often think we massively over think things when Barbel fishing , they are not the cleverest of fish , good sharp hook and a decent bait placed where the fish are and you should catch . I take the point that you need to check your hook on stony bottoms though .Unless I get snagged up and lose terminal tackle I rarely have to change the hook in a session . I use Drennan continental boilie hooks , they are very sharp , strong and durable .I catch enough Barbel to keep me happy and very rarely lose fish .One thing I do use , as I cant be bothered to tie hairs is Stonfo bait mounts , they are like a hair but made of stretchy latex I think , clever idea . See , I am not a complete Luddite !

Last edited:
... if people make it work and as a result throw less hook length material away then good on them 😊

If it were possible to quantify these things, I'd be willing to bet that the environmental cost of extracting the raw materials, manufacturing and packaging 10 of these metal hook clips, is far greater than that of throwing away 'x' amount of 10lb mono from a 2,000 metre spool. 😉

Like I said , I use a short piece of braid 4-6” , tie on hook with knotless knot , tie braid to mainline with an all bright knot and that’s it !
bank tackle hooks are cheap enough to replace as and when , your only using a short piece of braid that gets binned
hook length is infinitely adjustable with adjuster stop
no need for extra ironmongery …

Bit of a faff to be tying various knots in the middle of the night though. I’d rather have a load of short looped braid hook sections tied up, then just cut the old one off and loop-to-loop the new one on.

Bit of a faff to be tying various knots in the middle of the night though. I’d rather have a load of short looped braid hook sections tied up, then just cut the old one off and loop-to-loop the new one on.
Various knots ?
I tie one allbright knot , which I can do in my sleep , it’s a foolproof system that’s never let me down
I could do the loop thing but I just think this looks neater and I have one less knot

I can knock up a "rig" in next to no time.

These things are a gimmick IMO.

Not for me!
I can tie up my rig in the same time it takes me to get the fiddly kicker bit on so it’s not time that is the issue.

The issue is I do waste loads of hooklength material as I basically change rig every cast - If I don’t catch anything I use 4 rigs per 24 hours on 2 rods. That’s not so bad.

If I catch chub or bream (or even barbel occassionally) I have to change the rig. When I say I “have to” I mean I want the sharpest hook back out in the river so the rig gets changed.

I can tie up my rig in the same time it takes me to get the fiddly kicker bit on so it’s not time that is the issue.

The issue is I do waste loads of hooklength material as I basically change rig every cast - If I don’t catch anything I use 4 rigs per 24 hours on 2 rods. That’s not so bad.

If I catch chub or bream (or even barbel occassionally) I have to change the rig. When I say I “have to” I mean I want the sharpest hook back out in the river so the rig gets changed.
Do you really worry about a length of line?

So you will change from changing the rig every cast, to changing just the hook every cast? Unnecessary either way IMO!

With you on this David . Without googling the words I honestly do not know what is being talked about here ,wafter , ronnie rig , aligners, kicker ? Line , hook ,lead , bait , that's it for me .

I fly fished for about forty years until last season, when I switched back exclusively to coarse fishing. It took me months before I understood half the terminology that had arisen in the passing of time, before realising that half of it was new (sexier?) terminology for things that already had quite adequate names back in the day.

It's evident that almost every aspect of tackle has improved no-end since I was a float fisherman on the gravel pits of Cheshire that are now housing estates. So I'm not seriously knocking any little gadget that other people might find useful, but a whole new industry seems to have arisen, devoted to selling gizmo's of varying degrees of utility - to carp fishermen especially - and Korda seems to have created and exploited that market like no other company.

I've enticed my two oldest friends back to coarse fishing for next season - having last fished together in the late 90s. Hopefully, I can save them some time and money, as they pass through the same fog of confusion.

I fly fished for about forty years until last season, when I switched back exclusively to coarse fishing. It took me months before I understood half the terminology that had arisen in the passing of time, before realising that half of it was new (sexier?) terminology for things that already had quite adequate names back in the day.

It's evident that almost every aspect of tackle has improved no-end since I was a float fisherman on the gravel pits of Cheshire that are now housing estates. So I'm not seriously knocking any little gadget that other people might find useful, but a whole new industry seems to have arisen, devoted to selling gizmo's of varying degrees of utility - to carp fishermen especially - and Korda seems to have created and exploited that market like no other company.

I've enticed my two oldest friends back to coarse fishing for next season - having last fished together in the late 90s. Hopefully, I can save them some time and money, as they pass through the same fog of confusion.
Your post implies that similar 'marketing' hasn't afflicted fly fishing.

I fly fish all over the place and snigger at the clones who have 'all the gear (Sage/Simms/Rio etc) and no idea'. It is the same.

I started fishing with a worm and a stone tied on a piece of wool. These days I fish for whatever/wherever I fancy; if I think I need complicated gear then I buy it. Otherwise I dont. I dont much care what the competition thinks - it about what I catch and how quickly I can catch it and return it in top condition.

Im a part time barbel fisher because Ive got better things to do when the rivers are out of condition. When I do fish I use the best rigs I can construct - different hooklink materials, kickers, sleeves, etc etc. I make no apology for it and really think my (our - as I fish with 1 mate) rigs work. A good bait on a good rig in the right place at the right time.

Its up to every individual how we fish - I just choose the technical route IF I think it helps.

And Im mates with Danny Fairbrass. But I pay shop rates for any Korda stuff I use........

Do you really worry about a length of line?

So you will change from changing the rig every cast, to changing just the hook every cast? Unnecessary either way IMO!

I make rigs with 50cms of esp tungsten loaded coated braid each time. A 10m reel gets me 20 rigs. They are £10 a pop. I think I spent about £50 in September on 5 reels. I spend about £25 petrol every trip. It all adds up.

The sharper the hook the more fish I find I catch so thats what works for me. I also think the bigger the hook the more important the sharpness is too - I’m using 4s and 6s.

Your post implies that similar 'marketing' hasn't afflicted fly fishing.

I fly fish all over the place and snigger at the clones who have 'all the gear (Sage/Simms/Rio etc) and no idea'. It is the same.

I started fishing with a worm and a stone tied on a piece of wool. These days I fish for whatever/wherever I fancy; if I think I need complicated gear then I buy it. Otherwise I dont. I dont much care what the competition thinks - it about what I catch and how quickly I can catch it and return it in top condition.

Im a part time barbel fisher because Ive got better things to do when the rivers are out of condition. When I do fish I use the best rigs I can construct - different hooklink materials, kickers, sleeves, etc etc. I make no apology for it and really think my (our - as I fish with 1 mate) rigs work. A good bait on a good rig in the right place at the right time.

Its up to every individual how we fish - I just choose the technical route IF I think it helps.

And Im mates with Danny Fairbrass. But I pay shop rates for any Korda stuff I use........
I figure that it may possibly be entirely unnecessary considering beyond the standard hair a much more complex rig, but it's like bait making - Trigga Ice may catch more fish and it may be cheaper than making my own bait, but it's not half as enjoyable as going about the process yourself.

Hi men ,

It's not aimed at barbel anglers really , I have 3 out on a lake at the mo . Got to say though , when we fished the Teme , I was for ever changing hooks , unforgiving river , but as I say never used a kicker on the barbel rigs as barbel have anti eject mouths 😂

Hatter

I make rigs with 50cms of esp tungsten loaded coated braid each time. A 10m reel gets me 20 rigs. They are £10 a pop. I think I spent about £50 in September on 5 reels. I spend about £25 petrol every trip. It all adds up.

The sharper the hook the more fish I find I catch so thats what works for me. I also think the bigger the hook the more important the sharpness is too - I’m using 4s and 6s.

Not sure if any of their products will be suitable or similar to ESP but bank tackle do various hooklink materials in 20m spools for the same price.

Back